Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Looking for a trainer

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Looking for a trainer

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-20, 05:52 PM
Nathan_S

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking for a trainer

Hi all,

Pretty new to cycling but loving it so far. I have a Trek 12 speed and live in NJ. In the long term when it gets colder, if I'm still going strong on biking, I'm going to get a smart trainer and connect it with Zwift so I can keep going inside.

Until then I want to get a basic trainer so that when it rains, I can ride on the porch.

However, I am hoping to also meet these requirements:
  1. I am hoping that it will be zwift compatible (the little bit I understand so far is that you can go the cheapy route to make a trainer zwift compatible), so that my two sons who are also into biking can also use their bikes on this trainer with zwift. So this trainer will be the 'cheapy' route for zwift, I will use it for now on my bike and then later I will get myself a smart trainer for my bike.
  2. If it's possible, it would be great if the trainer supported easily moving either of my two sons bikes onto the trainer without difficulty--ideally so that they can handle it themselves. This trainer will become their 'cheapy zwift' trainer when it gets cold outside.
  3. Would like to keep it as inexpensive as possible, but I don't like buying junk so...
It was suggested to me that I check out a fluid trainer, however, from what i can tell, at least on ebay, they all fit bikes with 26-28" tires. My bike's tires say 700x35 on them. Is that the same as a 700cc tire? If yes, Google says that is 29".

My son has a mountain style bike and his tire says it is 25.5 x 2.25". I am confused about whether there is a trainer that is decent quality that will fit what i am trying to do in fitting these two bikes, be upgradeable to zwift in the future and will allow a bike to easily be put on/taken off.

Any links to specific products would also be appreciated.

I hope this all makes sense, I am somewhat new to all this, so please ask if clarification is required.

Thanks!

Nathan
Old 06-12-20, 05:55 AM
Athens80

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Nathan_S
It was suggested to me that I check out a fluid trainer, however, from what i can tell, at least on ebay, they all fit bikes with 26-28" tires. My bike's tires say 700x35 on them. Is that the same as a 700cc tire? If yes, Google says that is 29".
Welcome, Nathan!

Your 700x35 tires are a standard size for a road bike. "700" is the most common size for road bikes, with the widths varying but commonly in a range from 23 to 25 to 28 and up.

Your tires will work with any standard trainer.
Old 06-13-20, 11:36 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
What is your budget?

id be looking now for a smart trainer because you generally can get great deals when they are not in demand. July last year I picked up a 2018 model wahoo kicker for $400 off regular price.

I have about 2-3 thousand miles on it already. Be on it today due to high winds. Rain? Won’t be seeing that here until late September.
Old 06-14-20, 06:28 AM
Athens80

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
When you start looking for a smart trainer, Ray Maker has maybe the best article on products in the market: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/10/...2019-2020.html
Old 06-14-20, 08:57 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
You can start by posting a picture of your bike so we know what it is!
Old 06-14-20, 09:04 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
The entry level wheel-on smart trainers all run $400-500 and should do what you need.

I use a Wahoo Kickr Snap and have been pleased with it.