Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Aluminum vs. Carbon, Entry vs. Mid-level

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-20, 06:42 AM
Gaarci

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Hello - I'm comparing new (2020) aluminum vs. carbon comfortable/endurance road bikes in the entry vs. mid-level range and wanted to share my initial findings and conclusions for any thoughts and feedback.

This is based on a comparison of the 2020 Specialized Allez aluminum and Specialized Roubaix carbon entry and mid-level models that are available at my LBS. I definitely acknowledge that there are many other brands and models that I can/should also consider and research including Trek, Cannondale, Giant, etc. - this is just a starting point based on what's available to me at my LBS.

1. Specialized Allez aluminum base model w/ full carbon fork - $875, weight 21.01 lbs (source: YouTube video review by James the Bike Guy), Shimano Claris group set, rim brakes

2. Specialized Allez Elite aluminum mid-level model w/ full carbon fork - $1,350, weight 19.47 lbs (8.83 kg - source: Bike Radar online review), Shimano 105 group set, rim brakes

3. Specialized Roubaix carbon base model - $2,200, weight 20.33 lbs (source: YouTube video review by James the Bike Guy), Shimano Tiagra group set, disc brakes

4. Specialized Roubaix Sport carbon mid-level model - $2,900, weight 19.07 lbs (source: YouTube video review by James the Bike Guy), Shimano 105 group set, disc brakes

So my initial conclusion is that the Specialized Allez Elite aluminum mid-level model w/ full carbon fork for $1,350 and weight 19.47 lbs seems to be the best value for money. This mid-level aluminum bike is significantly less expensive ($1,350 vs. $2,200) and also lighter (19.47 lbs vs. 20.33 lbs) than the entry level carbon Roubaix and also has a higher level group set (105 vs. Tiagra). However, the Roubaix does have disc brakes vs. the Allez rim brakes, although that does not seem like enough advantage to me to justify almost twice the price for heavier bike with an overall lower level group set.

I know that ride quality of aluminum vs. carbon is also a consideration, however I really can't feel the difference.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and feedback!
Old 07-14-20, 06:47 AM
upthywazzoo 

Bikes: 1984 Trek 770

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 37 Posts
I would also side with the mid-level Allez.
Likes For upthywazzoo:
Old 07-14-20, 06:53 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Disc brakes have really complicated things, they are still charging a premium for them. What tyres can you fit on the Allez? It might be worth going to discs if you want to ride gravel now and then.
Likes For znomit:
Old 07-14-20, 07:05 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I agree on the Allez with 105.

-The Claris bike would cripple you with a non-11spd bike and wheelset. Nothing wrong with not being 11spd, just point that out. It's a lot cheaper bike with much much more entry level kit.

-Next, $3000 is a LOT of money to only wind up with 105 on that disc brake Roubaix. It is 11spd, but still. Nothing wrong with the R7000, just that at that price point I would expect at least a "mix" of R8000 and R7000. Perhaps like a cheaper crankset and chain but the nicer deraileurs and shifters. Also, mech discs and $3000.........uhm, no thanks.

-Also, IMHO $2200 is way too much money for 10spd Tiagra. $2200 in anything ought to bring 11spd. It's freaking the year of our Lord 2020. Not 2014. And it's mech discs at that.

Just IMO. Also, $3k on that Roubaix sport is $800 too much. Specialized website has it at $2200 right now. Just saying, your LBS might be in Covid surge pricing mode and you may be better off buying online.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 07-14-20, 08:10 AM
Wooderson

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
I wouldn't worry so much about small weight differences.

I wouldn't worry so much about frame material (modern aluminum frames are excellent).

I think 10 speed (Tiagra) is absolutely fine, I think it's every bit as nice as 105, so if you venture outside of the Specialized brand, you might find some Tiagra bikes with hydraulic discs that hit your budget.

I do prefer disc brakes over rim brakes, and hydraulic disc over cable disc, but as you've noticed, you hit different pricepoints for the different brake configurations. The 2021 bikes are being announced over the coming weeks, and I expect everything to move up one notch up in the brake configurations. For example bikes that are rim brake today will probably be cable actuated disc for 2021. Bikes that are cable actuated disc today will probably move to hydraulic for 2021. Bikes won't show up in shops until the fall, and they won't be discounted.

So if you can wait, I would. Maybe buy a used bike for now, ride it for 4 months, then flip it after you get your next new bike.
Likes For Wooderson:
Old 07-14-20, 10:05 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
Here you go https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...oadbike-xx.htm
Likes For sced:
Old 07-16-20, 10:02 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
In that price range, aluminum is the best weight to stiffness to dollar value. Likely the weight of the bikes that you are looking at (non all that light weight for that matter) is attributed to the wheels that they are built with. So you can upgrade later? Modern aluminum bikes are very different from those of 25 or 30 years ago with some compliance. If any of these bikes are disk bikes, (sorry I didn't look carefully at the options you listed), some with larger tire diameter (700 x 28 or 30) will make a nice difference in ride quality and reduction in road buzz.
Likes For Fox Farm: