Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Axle and Frame Fitment

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Axle and Frame Fitment

Old 08-11-20, 12:30 PM
tygger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Axle and Frame Fitment

Recently replaced the freehub and didn't know to count the number of threads on the axle before taking it apart. I've put it all back together and if I tighten the cone or locknut anymore, it will prevent the wheel from spinning freely. The axle is only extending about halfway through the frame (see pic). Is this ok?

Old 08-11-20, 12:36 PM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by tygger
Recently replaced the freehub and didn't know to count the number of threads on the axle before taking it apart. I've put it all back together and if I tighten the cone or locknut anymore, it will prevent the wheel from spinning freely. The axle is only extending about halfway through the frame (see pic). Is this ok?

The axle should protrude by the same amount on both sides. If it's that way, it's OK.
Likes For Amt0571:
Old 08-11-20, 12:50 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,230 Times in 851 Posts
"Standard" procedure is to only loosen/remove cone/lock nut from one end ONLY and then pull the axle out.
This maintains whatever spacing you HAD.
Make sure the other end isn't standing "proud" of the DO, else it won't clamp on that side.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 08-11-20, 05:02 PM
tygger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I removed it from the non-drive side and didn't touch the drive side. It axle sticks out a couple mm more on the drive side that I didn't touch, but if I tightened the non-drive side any more, the wheel won't spin freely.
Old 08-11-20, 05:26 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
You have plenty of axle support in the dropout so there is no problem. If you want to even the axle up you can but it's not essential. The "standard" axle protrusion from each locknut face is 5.5 mm for future reference.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 08-11-20, 05:33 PM
canopus 

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by tygger
I removed it from the non-drive side and didn't touch the drive side. It axle sticks out a couple mm more on the drive side that I didn't touch, but if I tightened the non-drive side any more, the wheel won't spin freely.
This is trying to adjust to the axle length. Don't do this. If you didn't touch/move/loosen the drive side cones on the axle then no need to worry about the axle (as others have said, you have enough axle to support the wheel). You just need to adjust for the bearing play, not tight, not loose, spins freely by hand out of the frame, no free hub wobble.
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics
Likes For canopus:
Old 08-11-20, 05:54 PM
tygger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome. Thanks for the replies everyone!
Old 08-11-20, 09:16 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,789 Times in 2,269 Posts
I'll just add that one should confirm that the cone/locknut on the side that is the reference (usually the drive side) are actually tightened against each other. Enough times the cone/locknut can be only slightly more then finger tight. These need to be wrench tight to act as the "base line" others are talking about. Andy