Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What caused this hole in tube?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-20, 06:01 PM
prime winner

Bikes: Trek Verve 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts

Can you guys help me determine what caused this hole? The tube is the original from a Giant Talon mountain bike. Five days ago I changed from the original tires to Continental Contact Cruiser tires. After I changed the tire I went on a mile ride, then the next morning I went on a 10 mile ride. I noticed the flat today, 3 days later. This was my second flat in about a month and this one was on the front, last was rear. The tube had over 450 miles on it and all my riding has been on paved, neighborhood roads. I checked the tire and the rim and didn't see or feel anything that may have caused the hole.

Last edited by prime winner; 09-04-20 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-04-20, 06:09 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
Run your fingers around the inside of the rim, like where the spokes come through the rim and a bit to either side, all the way around. I'm not an expert, but that's what I would do.. Make sure there are no pointy things to puncture a tube.
Old 09-04-20, 06:32 PM
prime winner

Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
Run your fingers around the inside of the rim, like where the spokes come through the rim and a bit to either side, all the way around. I'm not an expert, but that's what I would do.. Make sure there are no pointy things to puncture a tube.
Thank you. I should have been more descriptive. I did look and feel along the tire and rim, and didn't see our feel anything. I edited my original post to reflect that.
Old 09-04-20, 06:33 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
What pressure are you running the tube at, and what type of rim strip are you using?

-Kurt

Old 09-04-20, 06:46 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by prime winner
Thank you. I should have been more descriptive. I did look and feel along the tire and rim, and didn't see our feel anything. I edited my original post to reflect that.
You have me scratching my head. Please let me know if you find the cause. I guess it could be a defect in the tube, but it seems unlikely.
Old 09-04-20, 06:49 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Looks like something with the rim from the location of the hole.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 09-04-20, 07:11 PM
prime winner

I was thinking something rim related caused it as well but couldn't find anything. The rim strip was whatever came with the bike, sorry I don't have more details. I had the tire at the max psi it was rated for, 65.
Old 09-04-20, 08:35 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 870 Posts
I'd call it a fluke until you get a 2nd similar hole.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 09-05-20, 06:14 AM
dscheidt

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by prime winner
Use a fluffed up cotton ball. It will snag on very fine wires and junk that are impossible to see and hard to find except by getting poked by it. ON the road, you can use a cigarette filter, they're pretty common on the ground....
Likes For dscheidt:
Old 09-05-20, 07:15 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Even of the rubber rim strip looks good, I'd run a couple of turns of electrician's tape around to make sure everything is covered.
Old 09-05-20, 10:04 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Looks like a puncture, but cam angle being what it is, hard to say. And it is on the rim side, so if no spokes or bad rim tape/strip. The maybe a one-off thing you might never know.

Since you've had several soon after fixing flats are you sure you aren't just getting careless and letting the tube get pinched under the tire bead as you slip the last of it over the rim?

I get that way sometimes too when I think I am too good at changing tires for anything to go wrong. Murphy steps in and humbles me.
Old 09-05-20, 03:59 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
What kind of rims? What kind of rim strip?

Some types of rim strips can shift from side-to-side during the tire changing process. If that leaves the tiniest little arc of unprotected spoke hole exposed your tire pressure will force your inner tube against that metal edge and, over a period of time - usually not immediately, make a hole in your inner tube. It looks to me like that's what may have happened to you.

Unless I have tires that are real hard to fit, Velox is my preferred rim strip, preferably wide enough to fill the rim space all the way from flange-to-flange.
Old 09-05-20, 04:10 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18353 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
First, use the tube and valve stem to measure the distance along rim (each way), to determine probably fault area along the rim for closer inspection. Any signs of stretching or something on the tube?

Did you reuse the tube from the previous tire? What kind of tools did you use to remove and reinstall the tire? Screwdrivers? It is possible you pinched the rim during the installation. That usually creates a big hole, but possibly a small one too.
Old 09-05-20, 10:19 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
What ever you discover, please share it with us. Inquiring minds want to know..............