Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Where to keep jacket and extra gear?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Where to keep jacket and extra gear?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-20, 01:01 PM
faulker479

Bikes: Synapse, Slate

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
You could put it under your jersey and bibs and Quasimodo it.
Old 09-09-20, 01:37 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
We literally had a discussion about how we have to explain what a toe strap is to riders nowadays.

Discussion was in reference to strapping a water bottle to the underside of your saddle on a long ride.

OP - everyone is about bags these days. To each their own.

Personally I prefer to shove it in a jersey pocket. If it doesn't pack well into the pocket then I get a smaller jacket or a different piece of clothing that allows me to dress more appropriately for the weather so I am not needing to shed layers that don't pack away easily.
I guess that anyone who didn't know what a bicycling related toe-strap was also didn't know how to use a search engine to see one?

On those days when the morning is chilly enough to require tights and a long sleeve jacket I often use a toe-strap to secure said tights and jacket under my saddle once the day has warmed enough to not need the tights and/or jacket anymore. DOing so leaves my jersey pockets free for snacks or water additives.

Cheers
Old 09-09-20, 01:38 PM
mcmoose

Bikes: Trek Silque S, Bianchi Aria e-Road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Another (very cheap) storage option I've used: if you don't need a second water bottle for the ride, you can use that cage to hold a tennis-ball can (with a lid).
Old 09-09-20, 10:44 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
This happened after the jacket got loose from the toe strap and wound up in the cassette, causing a 40' skid.

You can see a bit of the ruined RD in the pic.

I'm more careful with that rig now.

Old 09-10-20, 08:27 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
This happened after the jacket got loose from the toe strap and wound up in the cassette, causing a 40' skid.

You can see a bit of the ruined RD in the pic.

I'm more careful with that rig now.
sucks to see.
its exactly what i was thinking when i saw the 1 toe strap holding a cotton sweatshirt though. I would want another holding the clothing in both directions(length and width).
Old 09-10-20, 01:03 PM
SeattleRider57

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I got one of these Revelate top tube bags for my longer rides: https://www.revelatedesigns.com/inde...TangleFrameBag

I also own a Camelback type backpack w/water, but it really kills my shoulders so I've decided to stick with 2 bottles of water and then put my other gear(light jacket) etc in the Revelate bag.
Old 09-10-20, 01:31 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Old 09-10-20, 05:19 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by kosmo886
Where do people keep a light jacket and extra snacks etc. when going on longer rides? I have an aero wedge seat post bag for daily use which is perfect, but not big enough for extra snacks and certainly not a light wind jacket on the colder mornings. I also don’t think a jacket is fitting in my jersey pockets. Does anyone ride with one of those larger seat post bags that extend quite a bit? Some are in the 3-10L range. I would think 3-5L would be perfect to stuff some stuff in, but don’t want to add too much excess weight or bulk. I don’t think a frame bag works given the water bottle holders.

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.
As referenced multiple times in this post, a large variety of light jackets quite easily fit in jersey pockets. As do small snacks.
Are you storing something else in your jersey pockets that would prevent this?
Because you also stated that you don’t want to add additional weight in the way of anything but a small bag.
If you don’t want to use the pockets on your jersey and you don’t want a suitable bag or to add weight, what realistic solution were you hoping for?
Old 09-10-20, 06:18 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Like every other poster here, my jacket fits in a jersey pocket. But some of my jerseys definitely have smaller pockets than others, so I only wear those on shorter rides when I don't need to carry as much stuff.

If OP is stuck on seat packs, the Ortlieb ones are light for their size. The Saddle Bag Two has 4.1L capacity, for instance.
​​​​​
Old 09-10-20, 06:19 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Light Jacket.. yes, fits jersey pocket easily

Old 09-10-20, 08:50 PM
Ilbiker

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport 2021 Trek Domane SL6

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
What is this thing called “newspaper”? 🤣 I’m pretty sure my Kindle or iPad would not work as well as this little known substance.

On a more serious note, this is a timely post as my winter riding will go up quite a bit and my rides are getting longer now that I can no longer run. Crap, more stuff to buy! 😃
Old 09-10-20, 09:57 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by kosmo886
Where do people keep a light jacket and extra snacks etc. when going on longer rides? I have an aero wedge seat post bag for daily use which is perfect, but not big enough for extra snacks and certainly not a light wind jacket on the colder mornings. I also don’t think a jacket is fitting in my jersey pockets. Does anyone ride with one of those larger seat post bags that extend quite a bit? Some are in the 3-10L range. I would think 3-5L would be perfect to stuff some stuff in, but don’t want to add too much excess weight or bulk. I don’t think a frame bag works given the water bottle holders.

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.
Arkel Tail Rider. 8l expands to 11. Perfect for unsupported 200 mile solo rides - extra 1 liter platypus, another half dozen energy bars, thermal tights/jersey/gloves, spare light, regular tool/tube kit, spare folding tire, map,TP, sunscreen.

You don't want a light jacket when the first mountain is 35, cloudy, and windy or to be wearing that jacket up the next mountain that's 65, sunny, and calm.

I have it on a regular rack, although they sell a saddle rail mounted rack for it.

OTOH, there are lots of rides where jersey pockets are ample.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 09-11-20 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-10-20, 10:22 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
If the weather is cool enough that I might need a jacket, it's probably cool enough that I won't need a second water bottle for a typical 20-30 mile ride. So I'll use the seat tube water bottle cage to hold my thin windbreaker. I stuff it into a quart sized ziplock baggie and jam it in the cage. That's worked fine for the past few years.

Thursday was unusually cool here in Texas, in the 60s (after temps in the 100s last week), with a chance of rain. I intended to ride 20 miles or so and took one 24 oz bottle, and stuffed the jacket into the second cage. Turns out I felt better than expected after warming up and did 40 miles. I needed the jacket for the final 10 miles as it was sprinkling and cooling down. Still had water in the first bottle when I got home.

I've stuffed that jacket in my jersey pocket, but I'd rather not. So far the ziplock bag and water bottle cage trick has worked for most rides.

I could have saved some trouble and worn a Pearl Izumi wind jersey I got last winter. With a good compression baselayer it's more aero and flaps in the wind less than a jacket, breathes better and doesn't get too sweaty. I've been caught in chilly light rain with it before and it was comfortable enough.
Old 09-10-20, 10:57 PM
TrackSmart

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
There are lots of extra large seat bags that will fit on any bike (even racing bikes) if you need to be self-sufficient for a big day out. Some of them are quite affordable, though they may not be as feather-light as high end bikepacking bags. For instance: https://smile.amazon.com/Banjo-Broth...-no-redirect=1

If you really just want to carry a jacket (beyond your current seat bag's capacity), frankly, I would just get a jacket that packs nice and small. They are great to have anyway and you won't be weighed down by extra-large saddle bags, or handlebar bags, etc. Bonus points if the sleeves come off (convertible jackets) because the sleeves take up almost no space and their removal greatly increases the temperatures at which they can be worn (as the day warms up).

Happy riding!

Lots of good advice above, too, some of which surely echos my own post.
Old 09-10-20, 11:09 PM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
I use a draw string bag to hold sundry items. I have several and most of them were giveaways. Small items still go in the jersey pockets.

Old 09-11-20, 06:57 PM
David in Maine

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 39 Posts
This is a great handlebar bag for longer rides if you need to carry a layer and extra food. Just be aware, a bag like this will make it more challenging to mount a front light or a GPS mount.

https://www.ruthworkssf.com/store/c2..._In_Stock.html

David
Old 09-11-20, 07:45 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I can lend you something.

Old 09-11-20, 07:52 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
My light cycle jacket tucks into it's pocket and has small straps to wear it as a waist pack. Maybe not ideal but I never need to find a place to put it and the decision to take it just in case is easy to make. Is that not common? Both of my cycle jackets have that function.

Last edited by u235; 09-11-20 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-12-20, 06:58 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
My compromise is a combination of a larger road seat pack (say 1.5 - 2.5 liters) along with a handlebar bag (I use this one from Jaand). The handlebar bag works to hold extra supplies without interfering with lighting/electronics, and can be easily removed for rides where it's not needed.

Like most people here, I use lightweight cycling-specific wind and rain jackets that can be stuffed in a jersey pocket. I also ride when it's below freezing, and the handlebar bag is good for stuffing items that are not cycling-specific, like a winter softshell, extra baselayers, extra gloves, and chemical warmers.

This is more of a gravel than a road setup, but here's the idea:

Old 09-12-20, 08:33 PM
SCTinkering

Bikes: 2020 T-Lab X-3 w/GRX Di2, 2018 Trek FX-5S with GRX/Xt 1x drive train

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 25 Posts
Hydration pack with storage, then put all your stuff in there.
Old 09-14-20, 12:11 PM
footloose

Bikes: Trek FX7.6, Trek Marlin 7, Giant WS Avail 1,Trek 4900 MTB

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a gossamer weight biking jacket that has sleeves that zip off. I can easily zip off the sleeves when it warms up, to just wear the vest and the sleeves fit in a back pocket. If it gets too warm to wear the vest, it fits in an expandable seat bag with my phone/small tools and the sleeves go in the jersey pocket. Snacks and money/chapstick/kleenex go in a top tube bag.