Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The 33 Goes Zwifting

Old 08-24-20, 06:31 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 160 Posts
My initial thought was to just program workouts using free trainer day and using erg mode. I figured I'd just watch TV shows while doing SST.

Being able to do intervals etc on zwift sounds like it could be cool, but with limited time it's like... Wouldn't it be more fun to just watch TV instead?

I really liked the idea of trainerroad as well, though I figured I could have that going on a small screen while watching TV.
Old 08-24-20, 06:39 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2502 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,567 Posts
If you want to use ERG mode, than those all sound like good options.

One cool thing about doing intervals while "free riding" in Zwift is that it can be fun and interactive, almost like riding outside. There are segments in each map that are timed and have rolling leaderboards with whomever is logged on at the moment, which can be more than a few thousand. So, just like you would IRL, you can cater the duration and specificity of your intervals based on whatever segments are available, whether it's flat or up a hill (high resistance). It is fun and motivating to go for segments sometimes, especially if you get a powerup.

Tomorrow morning for example, I'm considering doing a zwift race, than tooling around in Watopia for a while before going for Fuego Flats reverse on the TT bike. Last time I did that I got the fastest time and got to wear the Fuego jersey for a while
Old 08-24-20, 11:09 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

I just got an og kickr for a pretty darn good price so I'm hoping to take advantage of stuff at it comes.

When I connected it to wahoo I got a bunch of offers to use things and check them out, so I may see what the fuss is about. I get a month of zwift, nicer of trainerroad, and like 2.5 months of the sufferfest.

Might start things off with zwift and maybe trainerroad and see what happens.
Old 08-26-20, 10:28 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

So...

Got the OG kickr all set up and just tried zwift for the first time. Tried a few sprints and it honestly felt a bit awkward but I hit 1295W according to strava.

The steady state stuff felt great though. I think the entire gamified setup is a bit awkward but i can honestly see the appeal, especially socially during this time.

I don't like riding outdoors if I have less than 1.5-2hrs so I have a feeling I'm going to be using this setup a fair amount.

Might have to switch and use my 4i for the power readout and wahoo at just the control able though. I think it will read a lot better/smoother.

​​​​
Old 08-27-20, 06:49 AM
ntnyln

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
So...

Might have to switch and use my 4i for the power readout and wahoo at just the control able though. I think it will read a lot better/smoother.

​​​​
I always let my Quarq be the driver of the power so that everything is equal indoors and out. I think the data is just cleaner in the end if you go inside and out.
Old 08-29-20, 12:06 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
I've been outside a lot recently. But......the setup is now allowed to stay setup. Kickr core, mat, rocker, rotation wheel block, fan, and an old 42" LCD tv we had stowed in the shed for years. All plugged in and ready to roll except for the Kickr, in case of weather. So, it's simply let it boot on the computer and roll. No fuss.

I am a Zwift fan to the extent it keeps me engaged indoors. But have to admit that the bigger screen is a great addition over staring at a 13" laptop screen. Makes the experience feel a bit more special.

The rocker I designed also more closely allows you to climb out of saddle like you really would. Not that "backwards sway" most rockers have.

So, rainy late fall into winter this year should be better.

I still wish the geese would stop treating the grassy field up at the top of the hill by the lake as an endless Port o John. Then I could setup my barriers and practice cross there. No desire to fall and get a scrape covered in goose poop.
Old 08-30-20, 08:17 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 101 Posts
3:31 Ventoux

So yesterday when I saw that "France" was on the rotation I decided to do the Ventoux climb. It is listed at about 12 miles. I did the 8 mile Alpe in about 1.5 hours so I figured just a bit longer than that. Starting at about 9:30, I figured I'd be off the bike before midnight. I even selected the light Trek frame and the Lightweight wheels. Normally I ride an aero road frame (Madone / similar) and the Zipp disc/880 combo.

Thing is that I haven't been doing any sustained efforts, no real sustained rides. I've been stopping at 45 minutes. My sustained efforts are 30 SECONDS long. I'm not fit.

After 1.5 hours I wasn't even halfway up the climb, and I was absolutely suffering. I could barely turn 130w and I was struggling to find any kind of rhythm. I found that if I put it in a big gear and slogged it was easier, but my legs were starting to go so I had to spin.

After another hour of misery I wasn't sure how much longer I could go. I'd surge to go over 100w, otherwise I was at 60-80w. Ventoux doesn't have the mileage countdown so I had no idea how much further I had to go. I didn't want to stop because then whenever I did it next I'd have to do it from the start. I decided to keep going and just finish the damn thing, which is basically what I decided about an hour into the thing.

At 3 hours I was really struggling, and I wasn't at the finish. I knew I was close, but going 1-2 mph wasn't getting up the hill very fast. 70w was about what I could hold.

At 3:31 I finally tripped the finish. With some coasting, twiddling on Zwift while selecting route, etc etc, it was 1 AM when I climbed off the bike.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Likes For carpediemracing:
Old 08-30-20, 11:06 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2502 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,567 Posts
Nice work CDR! You made it!!! I have yet to climb Ventoux in Z.
Old 08-31-20, 06:58 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
So yesterday when I saw that "France" was on the rotation I decided to do the Ventoux climb. It is listed at about 12 miles. I did the 8 mile Alpe in about 1.5 hours so I figured just a bit longer than that. Starting at about 9:30, I figured I'd be off the bike before midnight.
Congrats on sticking it out.

The one time I did Ventoux, I figured it'd be 1.5x the Alpe du Zwift (like you, my best is about an hour and a half - I really need to lose a lot of weight). It wasn't. It was a lot more.

I'm doing a racing series with a team, and Ventoux is the last week. It's about 2 months away, but I'm debating skipping that one. My fat ass can do the sprints on the flat courses and leave the climbing to other folks. On the other hand, I don't want to let down my team (even if we've never met in real life).
Old 08-31-20, 07:45 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
I've done Ventoux 3 times on zwift, although I can't really say I "did" it because I was doing ERG mode with trainerroad, so it's not like i'm actually feeling the pain of the simulated gradients. Yesterday was my PR at 1:26:40 while doing 15min intervals at 90%, so I had about 12mins of z1 and 75mins of actual work. I keep telling myself I need to try and just ride Alpe and Ventoux on sim mode so I can actually feel the climbing, someday I'll get around to it!
Old 08-31-20, 03:12 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Originally Posted by hubcyclist
I've done Ventoux 3 times on zwift, although I can't really say I "did" it because I was doing ERG mode with trainerroad, so it's not like i'm actually feeling the pain of the simulated gradients. Yesterday was my PR at 1:26:40 while doing 15min intervals at 90%, so I had about 12mins of z1 and 75mins of actual work. I keep telling myself I need to try and just ride Alpe and Ventoux on sim mode so I can actually feel the climbing, someday I'll get around to it!
Cheater!

😁😁😁
Old 09-09-20, 09:53 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Did another ramp test and then the wattopia KOM. Need to start doing that more as benchmarking. Was a pretty decent effort. I want to be able to do a longer climb next time. I see the france setting is gone though, I was hoping to do some of the climbs there.

I guess I still need to unlock alpe du zwift?
Old 09-10-20, 06:02 AM
himespau 

Or you can do the Worlds hack and do Ventoux whenever you want. I much prefer the alpe du zwift though because it breaks the ride up into segments which are more manageable psychologically for me than the one long monotonous climb of ventoux.
Old 09-13-20, 11:12 AM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
About to hop on Watopia for a few hours.
Old 09-13-20, 11:52 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I've been on Zwift every day this week because of the crappy AQI. I started one of the training programs (Build Me Up) because I do much better if I am following a structure. It's actually been bearable. Yesterday I did a 90-minute workout which is probably my record.

Will probably be on it again today. I don't have anything scheduled, but maybe I'll just hop on a group ride or race.
Old 09-13-20, 11:55 AM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Correction: I'll be doing the 4-lap 3R hilly reverse race at 11:15. A category.
Old 09-13-20, 06:43 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
I will probably do 1 or 2 Zwift races this week, I really need to pick up my efforts.
Old 09-13-20, 07:52 PM
himespau 

I've actually cut back to just the one race a week (a series a team I'm on participates in). Decided to actually do some organized training and just scattershot races whenever I found one that fit in my schedule (and looked fun) didn't fit in with that. Gotta do workouts that aren't fun if I want to get stronger no matter how much I like Crit City and Tick Tock/Tempus Fugit.
Likes For himespau:
Old 09-14-20, 11:04 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Originally Posted by himespau
Or you can do the Worlds hack and do Ventoux whenever you want. I much prefer the alpe du zwift though because it breaks the ride up into segments which are more manageable psychologically for me than the one long monotonous climb of ventoux.
What does this even mean?!
Old 09-15-20, 05:03 AM
himespau 

You were saying you wanted to do some of the climbs in the France guest world on Zwift.

There are a couple of different ways (so called "worlds hacks") that you can use to ride in worlds that aren't Watopia or one of the 2 selected guest worlds for the day. There is a way that you can modify the preferences file in a text editor to change which world you go to, there is a mod program that you can download that allows you to change those settings via click boxes instead of modifying the preferences file (which I find a bit scary because I'm afraid I'll screw something up), or you can just schedule a meetup with a friend (who doesn't have to show up) on the route of your choice in any world whether it is the guest world of the day or not.

As far as the big climbs, I prefer to do Alpe du Zwift over the Ventoux climb because Alpe du Zwift is set up so that, on the lefthand side of the screen, the distance between each of the hairpins is listed as a separate segment. It tracks your watts, W/kg, and heartrate for each segment and lists what you did for the last couple segments and shows what's coming up next. It breaks a long climb up into a lot of smaller goals and lets you set minigoals or compete with your previous segments if you get bored.

Ventoux on the other hand (they call the route that goes all the way to the top Ven-Top) is graphically pretty, but is more of a boring straight climb. There are mile markers along the way if you happen to notice them, but it doesn't break things up and give you smaller things to shoot for the way Alpe du Zwift does. Either route would be much better if you could set it up to go against ghosts of your past attempts, but at last Alpe du Zwift has those segments. I don't know, maybe I just don't have the mental stamina to stay focused for that long and others don't have that problem (or maybe it's that I'm fat and slow and people to take less than 2 hours aren't doing it long enough to get bored). I just really like something to chase.
Likes For himespau:
Old 09-17-20, 10:53 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

This the cheapest I've found replacement kickr belts if anyone is looking. I have a first gen unit. Ordered two for like 30 bucks since they're a wear item.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/383718436444
Old 09-17-20, 08:05 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
You were saying you wanted to do some of the climbs in the France guest world on Zwift.

There are a couple of different ways (so called "worlds hacks") that you can use to ride in worlds that aren't Watopia or one of the 2 selected guest worlds for the day. There is a way that you can modify the preferences file in a text editor to change which world you go to, there is a mod program that you can download that allows you to change those settings via click boxes instead of modifying the preferences file (which I find a bit scary because I'm afraid I'll screw something up), or you can just schedule a meetup with a friend (who doesn't have to show up) on the route of your choice in any world whether it is the guest world of the day or not.

As far as the big climbs, I prefer to do Alpe du Zwift over the Ventoux climb because Alpe du Zwift is set up so that, on the lefthand side of the screen, the distance between each of the hairpins is listed as a separate segment. It tracks your watts, W/kg, and heartrate for each segment and lists what you did for the last couple segments and shows what's coming up next. It breaks a long climb up into a lot of smaller goals and lets you set minigoals or compete with your previous segments if you get bored.

Ventoux on the other hand (they call the route that goes all the way to the top Ven-Top) is graphically pretty, but is more of a boring straight climb. There are mile markers along the way if you happen to notice them, but it doesn't break things up and give you smaller things to shoot for the way Alpe du Zwift does. Either route would be much better if you could set it up to go against ghosts of your past attempts, but at last Alpe du Zwift has those segments. I don't know, maybe I just don't have the mental stamina to stay focused for that long and others don't have that problem (or maybe it's that I'm fat and slow and people to take less than 2 hours aren't doing it long enough to get bored). I just really like something to chase.
Plus on top of Alpe du Zwift there is a wheel that will give minimum 250 points, and sometimes 1k. I was kind of disappointed there was nothing on top of Ven-Top. I figured it's a long climb, so they might put some incentive.
Old 09-27-20, 03:33 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

If you do one of the free strava CTS plans, can you import those workouts to zwift to use erg mode or whatnot?