Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

No More ProBikeKit For Me

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

No More ProBikeKit For Me

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-20, 08:28 AM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 286 Posts
Your problem is with USPS, not PBK or DHL. And you can have similar problems with USPS shipments from vendors in the USofA. Some of my Priority packages, incoming/outgoing, sit for days waiting to just get received, or handed off at a transfer. Sometimes they kinda disappear for a while en route, "in transit to the next facility." I've had incoming packages at the big post office 10mi away take 2 days to get to the medium-sized po 5mi away, then sit another day or two before it gets to my local po for delivery to moi.

Most of my Priority stuff is still pretty much on time, but delays are now common.

The DHL int'l/handoff issues likely compound the problem, and the usps side of the DHL int'l shipment likely isn't Priority, which no doubt makes it worse. But between the pandemic and political interference, usps is in a bind right now.

If you're shipping usps, it oughta go Priority/Express, and even with that you can no longer assume on-time delivery.

Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
That is my lesson, right there. I will from now on make my selections in the USofA.
Old 09-17-20, 09:34 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by pcb
Your problem is with USPS, not PBK or DHL. And you can have similar problems with USPS shipments from vendors in the USofA. Some of my Priority packages, incoming/outgoing, sit for days waiting to just get received, or handed off at a transfer. Sometimes they kinda disappear for a while en route, "in transit to the next facility." I've had incoming packages at the big post office 10mi away take 2 days to get to the medium-sized po 5mi away, then sit another day or two before it gets to my local po for delivery to moi.

Most of my Priority stuff is still pretty much on time, but delays are now common.

The DHL int'l/handoff issues likely compound the problem, and the usps side of the DHL int'l shipment likely isn't Priority, which no doubt makes it worse. But between the pandemic and political interference, usps is in a bind right now.

If you're shipping usps, it oughta go Priority/Express, and even with that you can no longer assume on-time delivery.
I understand the issue is not PBK. Yet, I will not order from a foreign country anymore. It’s too problematic for my schedule of fixing bikes. I will order elsewhere.
The worst part is when PBK says 3-5 business days and it is now double that and counting. Shipping is such a racket. That package had been sitting in a home state facility 4 hours south. It was then handed off to 3rd party last week. Maybe I should have popped for 2nd Day Air.
Old 09-17-20, 09:37 AM
natterberry 

Bikes: ‘83/‘85 Trek 760, ‘82 Trek 614, ‘77/‘78 Trek 304, ‘74 Raleigh International

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts
Likes For natterberry:
Old 09-17-20, 09:48 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 2,178 Times in 1,182 Posts
To All,
I feel your pain, perhaps the rules instituted by the head of the postal service may have something to do with the delays some are experiencing....DHL, UPS, and FedEx are another matter. The problem is after it leaves the sender, it is out of their control and it seems like all shipping/postal service is being impacted for some reason.
My prescriptions are arriving a month late and mail from Northern Ca. is sometimes taking that long to reach me in Los Angeles, go figure....
Best, Ben.
Old 09-17-20, 09:51 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, Renι Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Weird! I've ordered numerous things from France and had no problems whatsoever (knock on wood). Massachusetts is in relatively good shape during this pandemic, however they arrive through NYC when coming from abroad.

I've been slowly selling off a large vat of Sturmey indicator chains on Evilbay, and they have been urging me to use Fedex or DHL instead of USPS to ship them. So far I have stuck to USPS, and my items have been arriving on time, but it's just first class envelopes.
Old 09-17-20, 10:09 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3804 Post(s)
Liked 6,640 Times in 2,602 Posts
Definitely drop Louis DeJoy a note; he's all about the customer.
Old 09-17-20, 10:33 AM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 197 Posts
There are extra delays these days regardless of where you order from or who the shipper is. USPS in particular is struggling with timely delivery (also their order tracking just doesn't update for many shipments). I work for an online retailer and spend a pretty fair chunk of my workday answering questions about shipping delays, it's a really common issue right now.
Old 09-17-20, 10:46 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
DHL has always been weird IMO.
I concur, but FWIW PostNL has been doing me a solid for the rims that I have been ordering from Holland.
Old 09-17-20, 10:57 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
I’m not special, but $139:99 for 11sp Centaur polished compact cranksets, with bearings...., I waited gladly.
For 3 of them.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 09-17-20, 11:04 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 249 Posts
i saw the post title and thought you were going to quit wearing you BORA Hansgohe (with World's Stripes!), SKY, TELECOM, and Team DISCOVERY cycling kit.....

USPS Delivers!
Old 09-17-20, 11:05 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
When I go to USPS to ship things and try to ship priority, they tell me 2-3 days when they quote the price, but then, when I select priority, tell me it'll be an extra day "due to the pandemic". No mention of DeJoy's policy changes, but we both know what it is.

I have been surprised by the amount of other shippers that seem to be using USPS for last mile shipping the last year or 2. Hopefully, it's bringing in enough extra cash to keep the lights on.
Old 09-17-20, 12:23 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
When I go to USPS to ship things and try to ship priority, they tell me 2-3 days when they quote the price, but then, when I select priority, tell me it'll be an extra day "due to the pandemic". No mention of DeJoy's policy changes, but we both know what it is.

I have been surprised by the amount of other shippers that seem to be using USPS for last mile shipping the last year or 2. Hopefully, it's bringing in enough extra cash to keep the lights on.
It is cutting costs, on the part of private shipping companies.

Here in Nebraska it it utterly routine, particularly outside LNK or OMA. The population density in Farmlandia is too low for UPS or FedEx to EVER make money delivering anything either with their own employees or with contractors (FedEx Ground delivery trucks are all actually contractors IIRC). So, like any business, they outright don't deliver--but hand off to someone stuck having to deliver. Meanwhile, USPS is legally required to service every physical address--no matter how unprofitable it is....USPS has been scaling back number of deliveries per week in rural farmland to try and save money.

OP is about DHL--I don't think they deliver anywhere in the USA anymore. Part of cost cutting. People are expensive--so those given pink slips are the delivery people. Make last mile someone else's problem.
Likes For Marcus_Ti:
Old 09-17-20, 05:00 PM
SurferRosa
seρor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked 6,460 Times in 3,193 Posts
I've had such good usps service lately. Or maybe always. Two packages two bf'ers sent from coast to coast took three days to go doorstep to doorstep. And one of these was over a weekend, so really just two days. That's amazing. I recently sent a package to a mid-continent bf'er, and it was two days late, but again, over a weekend. It took five days, instead of three.
Old 09-18-20, 01:29 AM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 2,110 Times in 553 Posts
Don’t blame PBK, blame Trump. MI is a swing state so you can expect more delays than elsewhere. I know this is supposed to be an apolitical forum, but you are disparaging a vendor due to political problems which may be out of PBK’s control. USPS is my involved with 3rd party vendors as well, including exclusive “last mile” service for DHL in many areas. MI was a party to the suit in which Fed judge ruled today USPS policies have intentionally caused mail delays.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...FvX2pjenV1Yw..
Likes For gaucho777:
Old 09-18-20, 03:49 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Holding on to feelings of anger and/or hatred is like drinking poison hoping someone else will die.
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 09-18-20, 04:54 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by gaucho777
Don’t blame PBK, blame Trump. MI is a swing state so you can expect more delays than elsewhere. I know this is supposed to be an apolitical forum, but you are disparaging a vendor due to political problems which may be out of PBK’s control. USPS is my involved with 3rd party vendors as well, including exclusive “last mile” service for DHL in many areas. MI was a party to the suit in which Fed judge ruled today USPS policies have intentionally caused mail delays.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...FvX2pjenV1Yw..
As if the Washington Post has any kind of credibility.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 09-18-20, 05:08 AM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Would you prefer Fox News?
Likes For Wileyone:
Old 09-18-20, 05:40 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Would you prefer to hear it from his own mouth on Fox News?

I mean the GOP and Trump are Defunding USPS because of "mail in voting" (read: surpressing votes) and lots of sorting machines have already been dismantled. It's no wonder that last-mile shipping is slow.
And don't think the free market in the form of UPS or DHL can do it better. With the volumes going through any national postal service it either needs to be subsidized or become extremely expensive.
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 09-18-20, 10:23 AM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 2,110 Times in 553 Posts
Just because someone you don't like says something you don't want to hear does not make it untrue. How about this one?:

https://agportal-s3bucket.s3.amazona...plaintUSPS.pdf
Old 09-18-20, 11:03 AM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 716 Posts
Let's keep politics out of here. Instead of watching TV I come here to escape it. Let's talk bicycles
Likes For malcala622:
Old 09-18-20, 11:10 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by malcala622
Let's keep politics out of here. Instead of watching TV I come here to escape it. Let's talk bicycles
My post was about the Washington Post, whose own employees admit they are not credible.
The others can follow whatever meanderings that lead them astray.
Old 09-18-20, 11:12 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Originally Posted by malcala622
Exactly this.

Let's not all pick sides and turn this into just another sad echo chamber.

I think this thread has run its course.
Old 09-18-20, 11:12 AM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 716 Posts
My post was about the Washington Post, whose own employees admit they are not credible.

My post wasn't aimed at one person only. Didn't intend to single you out. A few posts are getting political.
Old 09-18-20, 11:13 AM
BFisher

What does that have to do with Probikekit?
Old 09-18-20, 11:14 AM
BFisher

Mod cleanup in aisle C&V, please.
Likes For BFisher:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.