Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tire Clearance Calculations

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-20, 11:07 AM
mrblue

Bikes: Canyon, Bowman & Colnago

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts

Hello,

I have a very small amount of clearance between my front tire and the brake caliper. Is there a formula I can use to figure out how much less clearance I'll have if I switch to a slightly wider rim (19mm)? My current wheel/tire combo is:
  • 25c tire
  • Pressure: 80psi
  • Rim internal width: 16.25mm
  • Rim external width: 24.6mm
  • tire width inflated: 24.9mm
Thanks.
Old 09-28-20, 11:22 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Rim internal width probably isn't going to make much difference for the amount you are changing. But if you pushing less than a mm or two of clearance already, then already from one tire model to the next of the same size you are gambling even with out the rim change.
Old 09-28-20, 11:58 AM
mrblue

Originally Posted by Iride01
Rim internal width probably isn't going to make much difference for the amount you are changing. But if you pushing less than a mm or two of clearance already, then already from one tire model to the next of the same size you are gambling even with out the rim change.
Hi! Thanks for your input. I plan to use the same tire (with the same pressure). Do you know of a way to calculate how much clearance might be lost moving to a 19mm from a 16.25mm internal rim width? At the moment I have ~3mm clearance between my tire and brake caliper.

Last edited by mrblue; 09-28-20 at 12:04 PM.
Old 09-28-20, 12:08 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Different brands/tires may behave differently depending on tire construction.
You probably wouldn't lose very much,but 3mm is 1/8".
I would consider that inadequate my self. How big of a pebble could get stuck in the tire before problems arise?
Old 09-28-20, 12:32 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

This is what I have based my thoughts on rim width verses tire width. Though I've never actually measured myself or worried much about it.

https://www.velonews.com/gear/techni...-vs-rim-width/

The graphic sort of shows it all. There were some similar articles about it too that I've read at the time nixing the often stated idea that it's a big deal. But it was long ago and I don't remember where I'd find them.
Old 09-28-20, 12:48 PM
mrblue

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
...3mm is 1/8".
I would consider that inadequate my self. How big of a pebble could get stuck in the tire before problems arise?
Yes, I agree. I find the small amount of clearance I do have to be really annoying. However, I don't really want to go to a 23c tire (as I like the 25c). My only other option is to use a different brake caliper. Campagnolo reduced the amount of clearance under the brake calipers with 12 speed Record. No idea why. Campy does weird stuff like making wheels with 6.5mm valve holes so your presta valve rattles around.
Old 09-28-20, 12:49 PM
mrblue

This is what I have based my thoughts on rim width verses tire width. Though I've never actually measured myself or worried much about it.

The graphic sort of shows it all. There were some similar articles about it too that I've read at the time nixing the often stated idea that it's a big deal. But it was long ago and I don't remember where I'd find them.
Thanks. I'll read through this.
Old 09-30-20, 08:45 PM
mrblue

Ok. I read the article or at least most of it. My head hurts now. Too much engineer talk. Sorry, I'm a finance guy.

So what I was able to take away from that is as the rim widens the height of the tire (same size, same pressure) won't necessarily increase. Or if it does, not very much. Is that an accurate take-away?

Again, I apologize, all the engineer-speak really made my head swirl.
Old 10-01-20, 08:17 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by mrblue
So what I was able to take away from that is as the rim widens the height of the tire (same size, same pressure) won't necessarily increase. Or if it does, not very much. Is that an accurate take-away?
That's what I took away from the article too. If you think about it, circumference of a tire is pretty much built into it from the start. So rim width isn't going to matter much.

If you are using 25 mm tires the generally conservative chart from Sheldon Brown's site shows that a 19mm internal rim width is not recommended for a 25 mm tire. Does your tire maker say what size rims it recommends for that tire?

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

I'm sure many get away with it, but it's something you should consider if you aren't as experienced a rider and know how to interpret issues of tire, rims, inflation and road that you might feel while riding. Particularly at speed on curves.

Are you needing to change rims and that is all you can find? Or is there some issue you are trying to solve?
Old 10-01-20, 08:42 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
If I read your your measurements for internal and external correctly, each side of your rim wall is 4 mm wide?
Likes For stevel610:
Old 10-01-20, 11:33 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Hard to tell since manufacturer stated tire size and elasticity are all over the place. But the tires will definitely balloon bigger with 19mm internal.
Old 10-01-20, 11:39 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
Don't think a calculation will work.....as tires can have variance and in some cases just are bigger than stated. I had pair of Michelin pro 4 service course in 25mm in real life they were 27mm+

My conti gp 5000 at 28m measured true on the bike, same with vittoria Corsa control tubular in 30mm

Old 10-01-20, 12:00 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Remember that the OP.... as far as I know..... is planning on using the same tires on the other rims. So things like elasticity and differences from one tire to the next are pretty much not in play.
Old 10-01-20, 12:22 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
Don't think a calculation will work.....as tires can have variance and in some cases just are bigger than stated. I had pair of Michelin pro 4 service course in 25mm in real life they were 27mm+

My conti gp 5000 at 28m measured true on the bike, same with vittoria Corsa control tubular in 30mm
The calculation goes like this:
1. What do you have on there now?
2. Is there a little more room?
3. If yes, you could try wider rims or tires, but it might not work.
Old 10-01-20, 02:00 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I am curious as to why OP wants to make this change.

Generally speaking, you should avoid using a rim that is wider than your tire, and your current rim is almost the same width as your tire. A wider rim will result in the tire being minimally wider, but the rim will probably be wider than the tire.
Old 10-01-20, 02:12 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
The bead to bead distance of the tire is essentially constant, so when you widen the rim by 3mm, I expect you're going to lose about 1.5mm all the way around (both sides and the top). If you currently have 3mm that's going to be very tight, because you should have around a millimeter left.