Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Repairing leaking fluid trainer?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-20, 10:52 PM
psteckler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a Travel Trac (Performance Bicycle) fluid trainer, about 15 years old, that's developed a leak lately.

Anyone have experience repairing a leaking resistance unit on one of these?

These trainers are made in Italy. I've been unable to find the actual manufacturer.
Old 09-29-20, 08:36 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
I have the same trainer (Travel Trac AF500) purchased in January 2000 so mine is now over 20 years old and still functional so far. The manufacture was Elite and their web site is: https://www.elite-it.com/en/products/home-trainers

Of course that trainer is obsolete and long out of production. I don't know if the resistance unit is repairable and where you would get replacement fluid if you could replace the seals. The liquid in these things is a special silicone fluid that increases in viscosity under load so it's not something you can get at a Walmart or auto parts store.

When mine dies I'm just going to replace it
Old 09-29-20, 08:58 AM
biker222

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
I have the same unit since 2000 and no leaks from resistance unit. About 10yrs ago one of the support arms cracked at base
and was able to get it repaired at auto body shop. They also welded some additional braces at arms bases to stiffen arms when tightening.
Still using it from late fall thru winter.
Old 09-29-20, 09:03 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
When they leak...replace the resistance unit. That is what the manufacturers themselves do.