Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuting with a Kid in the City

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 05-27-16, 05:57 PM
woodycooks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all, I'm looking to break into bike commuting here in Brooklyn, New York. Plus, I've got a toddler and would love to haul her around with me. She's about 2.5 years old and seems pretty amped to start going for rides.

On most days I'd drop her off at daycare before heading into Manhattan, so I'm looking for something that can handle the grind of city commuting with the safety and stability of carting a kid on the back.

I'm thinking a hybrid is probably the most logical choice, for the upright ease and safety, but curious what others thought. I haven't purchased a bike in many many years, so I'm a relative newbie to the whole market.

Ideally, I'd keep the bike sub $800 so I can put some money to a good kid seat and other relevant accoutrements.

I've been lurking on this thread for a few days and have been really impressed with both the range of knowledge and the friendly ways in which it's doled out, so I thought I'd put it to you experts!

Recommends from a LBS:

-Kona Dew Plus
-Giant Escape

Thanks for any and all thoughts!
Old 05-27-16, 06:50 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Both of those bikes are great. I was looking at a Dew Plus a while ago when one in the local market caught my eyes--700c wheels, hydraulic discs, it's a great bike. You should be able to mount a child seat at the rear with no problem. And hauling a child in the back, definitely a flat or riser bar. I did the same for quite a few years with my kids.

I can't advise you on how to haul your gear with a child in the back. Perhaps a fork-mount rack for the front. A backpack isn't ideal with a kid behind you. Others might be able to advise you better.
Old 05-27-16, 07:01 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I just used my regular road bike with the addition of a child seat (had a reversible 'Baby on Board/Vacancy' sign on the back). Low-rider front panniers added some carrying capacity and also improved the handling by putting some weight back on the front wheel. We used that commute setup until she was four and then converted our tandem to a kid-back arrangement. I'd drop her off and then ride the bike solo the rest of the way to work.
Old 05-27-16, 09:17 PM
AusTexMurf

Bikes: 2010 Origin8 CX700, 2003 Cannondale Backroads Cross Country, 1997 Trek mtn steel frame converted commuter/tourer, 1983 Univega Sportour, 2010 Surly LHT, Others...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
2 1/2 years is perfect in a child specific bike trailer. We have 4 kids. I think I remember reading 1 yr+ recommended. Started the first around 11months, then 10, then 8, then 6months for our youngest. We had Chariot trailers, both the highest end single and the Cougar double. Very nice child trailers, the Chariots. Plastic bubble seals up nicely for the colder, wetter commutes. Highly recommended. We also have a Burley Honey Bee double as our backup. Good trailer too but we preferred the Chariots. You can leave the trailer and/or WeeHoo/TrailABike tagalongs at your child's preschool/school and then ride unloaded to work. Hook it back up or switch off with your partner in the afternoon.
We started our youngest at 2 1/2 years on the recumbent tandem setup, the WeeHoo IGo. It has small panniers, chair with harness, handles, drink holders, well made, etc. Kiddo can even nap while riding. We put thousands of miles on the WeeHoo, including self contained touring over 485 miles on one of our family trips. Near daily use commuting through Austin, Tx. We then switched to an Adams TrailABike around 4 with all of the kiddos. Outfitted with rear racks, panniers, fender. Even pulled a TrailABike with the Chariot or the Burley behind. Long train. Now I converted the Burley Honey Bee double to use for our Redbone Coonhound. Our youngest, now 5 and 7 yrs, ride behind me every day on our Bike Friday Triple tandem setup for commuting/touring. Have fun, ride big on the streets, use bike facilities when/where you can, stay safe !

Last edited by AusTexMurf; 05-27-16 at 09:25 PM.
Old 05-27-16, 09:26 PM
woodycooks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006

I can't advise you on how to haul your gear with a child in the back. Perhaps a fork-mount rack for the front. A backpack isn't ideal with a kid behind you. Others might be able to advise you better.
Ah, I hadn't even considered what to do with my gear. Good call.
Old 05-27-16, 09:28 PM
woodycooks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So you had the proper mounts on the road bike for the child seat? I think that might be the problem I have with my old Miyata road bike, otherwise I would probably go that route just to be economical.
Old 05-27-16, 09:29 PM
woodycooks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Super helpful answer! I haven't looked much into trailers. But being able to leave it at daycare and head out is a great idea. Thanks for the tips!
Old 05-27-16, 10:59 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by woodycooks
So you had the proper mounts on the road bike for the child seat? I think that might be the problem I have with my old Miyata road bike, otherwise I would probably go that route just to be economical.
It didn't need any "proper mounts". The child seat ('Sears Finest' at the time) was designed to be clamped to the lower end of the seat stays at the bottom and to a seat post clamp at the top. The low-rider front pannier rack did use the fender eyelets that were on the fork (but AIRC, it could have been attached directly to the front axle as well) and used some U-shaped bolts around the fork arms as the top attachment.
Old 05-28-16, 09:55 AM
AusTexMurf

Bikes: 2010 Origin8 CX700, 2003 Cannondale Backroads Cross Country, 1997 Trek mtn steel frame converted commuter/tourer, 1983 Univega Sportour, 2010 Surly LHT, Others...

https://www.bikeshophub.com/trailers...ers-c-156.html
https://www.bikeshophub.com/trailers...ers-c-155.html
https://www.bikeshophub.com/trailers...ers-c-688.html
Trail-a-Bikes « Products « Trail-a-Bike

Also,
I have three close friends with families that ride Surly Big Dummies. Lots of child accessories and mods available. Very customizable. My buddies have used theirs so much and made many mods including racks, fenders, disk brakes, NuVinci hubs, etc…2 of 3 ordered the medium so that they can switch off with their partners. One ordered the small as the mother's main ride and he rides a Surly Long Haul trucker with a Chariot trailer, IGo WeeHoo, and Adams Trail A Bike. Exact same setup as I described ours but with the addition of the Surly Big Dummy. They also have a CoMotion touring tandem. We went with the Bike Friday Triple Family Tandem as our other option. Both bike stables work out very well with children.

https://surlybikes.com/bikes/big_dummy

Another one of our friends has a Yuba family bike. Affordable, stylish, etc. I personally prefer the Big Dummy, however it is more utilitarian/mtn bikish.
https://yubabikes.com
https://yubabikes.com/mundo

Super helpful answer! I haven't looked much into trailers. But being able to leave it at daycare and head out is a great idea. Thanks for the tips!

Last edited by AusTexMurf; 05-28-16 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-28-16, 04:47 PM
AusTexMurf

Also, If your commute is mainly in downtown or close in mixed residential areas, the classic bakfiet is a cool option. Didn't work for me due to distances, riding on city streets w/o facilities (higher speed vehiclular type riding), mixed surface trails, giant hills, etc. I have a couple of friends with them who love them. One is handmade here in austin and the other is dutch classic. These are also frequently used around our central city to haul compost and kegs of local beer.
https://www.mydutchbike.com/bicycles/bakfiets-trike/

Last edited by AusTexMurf; 05-28-16 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05-28-16, 05:45 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
The bike really doesn't matter much. I've rented a bike with a child seat on an island where there were no car rentals or bike and trailer rentals. The thing was dynamically unstable as hell, and it was a miserable experience. Another factor is the lack of cargo capability. As a fellow parent, you know that transporting a toddler means carrying all the stuff that goes with her.

What you need is a trailer. They will slow you down, especially in high winds, but they are stable and can hold all the stuff you need. You also have the option of unhooking the trailer at the daycare place and locking it up.

People love child trailers -- they smile, wave at you, and ask where they can get one. My daughter loved the trailer -- it was her own little mobile house, and she told her elementary school classmates about it. One summer, on the same island where I tried the bike carrier, we rented a Trail-A-Bike, which allows the child to pedal along. She was hooked, and the trailer, no longer adored, reverted to a grocery getter for stores with limited parking space for cars -- not a bad thing, really. I've now been through the whole child transport cycle, from baby to teenager riding beside me, but I still treasure the memory of pulling my daughter in the trailer and the fun we had.
Old 05-28-16, 07:51 PM
AusTexMurf

Originally Posted by PaulH
The bike really doesn't matter much. I've rented a bike with a child seat on an island where there were no car rentals or bike and trailer rentals. The thing was dynamically unstable as hell, and it was a miserable experience. Another factor is the lack of cargo capability. As a fellow parent, you know that transporting a toddler means carrying all the stuff that goes with her.

What you need is a trailer. They will slow you down, especially in high winds, but they are stable and can hold all the stuff you need. You also have the option of unhooking the trailer at the daycare place and locking it up.

People love child trailers -- they smile, wave at you, and ask where they can get one. My daughter loved the trailer -- it was her own little mobile house, and she told her elementary school classmates about it. One summer, on the same island where I tried the bike carrier, we rented a Trail-A-Bike, which allows the child to pedal along. She was hooked, and the trailer, no longer adored, reverted to a grocery getter for stores with limited parking space for cars -- not a bad thing, really. I've now been through the whole child transport cycle, from baby to teenager riding beside me, but I still treasure the memory of pulling my daughter in the trailer and the fun we had.
Agree with all Paul said. Any bike can work to pull a trailer. I have had hitches on Cannondale urban commuters, old steel road bikes, touring bikes, TrailABike tagalongs, CX/monstercross, and old steel mtn bikes. My favorite setup is a 20" 1990's steel Trek mtn bike. 26 inch wheels, fenders, lots of gearing, front and rear racks, etc. Smaller wheels, low stand over clearance at top tube, wide handle bars with multiple positions, make riding with trailer in traffic and trails much easier. Steel touring bike pulls trailers really well also. Modern sloping top tube such as hybrid bikes will work well for similar reasons. I might recommend a couple of bike options to pull trailers:
On a budget, the Fuji Touring model. Perfomance and many other bike shops.
Fuji Bikes | LIFESTYLE | CROSS TERRAIN | TOURING

Or the REI Novara Randonee or Safari. Anniversary sale on right now. Particularly like the Safari.
https://www.rei.com/product/875004/n...onee-bike-2016
https://www.rei.com/product/874998/n...fari-bike-2016

Cool city bike popular here in austin, Fairdale Weekender:
2016 Weekender Archer | Fairdale Bikes

To share one bike with wife or to use for yourself, the Soma Buena Vista 650B.
Buena Vista (Complete Bicycle) | SOMA Fabrications

Surly Troll or Disc Trucker. Troll would be my pick of these two w/ 26" wheels and tire swap:
https://surlybikes.com/bikes/troll
https://surlybikes.com/bikes/disc_trucker

These bikes give you lots of options for racks, panniers, fenders, good brakes, etc...

Last edited by AusTexMurf; 05-28-16 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-28-16, 08:09 PM
dscheidt

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulH
]
Trailers suck in city traffic.
Old 05-28-16, 09:47 PM
AusTexMurf

Originally Posted by dscheidt
Trailers suck in city traffic.
Chariot trailer pulls the best that I have used personally. Nice wheels with sealed cartridge bearings, low slung, more aero design. Burley Honey Bee has more wind drag due to boxier design. Regularly had our Chariots at 22-27mph on my route into town.
Ride smart.
Cool, visible bike flags. Often found in bike store selling recumbents.
Bike Flags
Different types of lights on trailer. Rear bike lights and battery operated weather resistant LED christmas lights worked well for us.
Also use a quality rear view mirror such as Mirrycle so that you can visually check kiddo and traffic conditions behind.

Last edited by AusTexMurf; 05-28-16 at 09:53 PM.
Old 05-28-16, 10:09 PM
AusTexMurf

Priority 8

Very cool, different choice. Great introductory price. New York area company bike design.
Priority 8
THE PRIORITY EIGHT / Priority Bicycles
Attached Images
Old 05-29-16, 12:04 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I wouldn't go for a trailer, having tried it. Your kid is also already too big for a front seat. I have my kid in a seat on a step through bike. May I recommend the Copilot brand. There are several models but they share their sturdy unpretentiousness. However, the cargo problems with the seat are valid. I think a front rack would go pretty well, or maybe a bike packing style frame bag. There are some more expensive options (like long tail bikes or cargo bikes). These might last you a few more years.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 05-29-16, 11:15 AM
woodycooks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AusTexMurf
Very cool, different choice. Great introductory price. New York area company bike design.
Priority 8
THE PRIORITY EIGHT / Priority Bicycles
Yeah, I saw this and was immediately intrigued. Can't find much info on it, tho.

The only concern I have with a trailer is having it behind me on busy streets, going through intersections with scary, ******* drivers. I'd be worried about someone trying to pull quick rights around me and not seeing it. The flags do the trick, you think?
Old 05-29-16, 11:27 AM
woodycooks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AusTexMurf
Cool city bike popular here in austin, Fairdale Weekender:
2016 Weekender Archer | Fairdale Bikes

To share one bike with wife or to use for yourself, the Soma Buena Vista 650B.
Buena Vista (Complete Bicycle) | SOMA Fabrications

Surly Troll or Disc Trucker. Troll would be my pick of these two w/ 26" wheels and tire swap:
Troll | Bikes | Surly Bikes
Disc Trucker | Bikes | Surly Bikes

These bikes give you lots of options for racks, panniers, fenders, good brakes, etc...
LOVE the look of that Weekender. And I've been thinking about trying to track down a used Surly Cross Check or LHT. I know they've got great reputations (and I can see you've got one yourself). Definitely pricier than what I was after, but if they'll last and last it's probably worth it.
Old 05-29-16, 06:53 PM
woodycooks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I wouldn't go for a trailer, having tried it. Your kid is also already too big for a front seat. I have my kid in a seat on a step through bike. May I recommend the Copilot brand. There are several models but they share their sturdy unpretentiousness. However, the cargo problems with the seat are valid. I think a front rack would go pretty well, or maybe a bike packing style frame bag. There are some more expensive options (like long tail bikes or cargo bikes). These might last you a few more years.
Thanks for the recommend! Yeah, I'm thinking a front rack. The frame bag is a good idea too.
Old 05-29-16, 07:40 PM
AusTexMurf

Yeah, I saw this and was immediately intrigued. Can't find much info on it, tho.

The only concern I have with a trailer is having it behind me on busy streets, going through intersections with scary, ******* drivers. I'd be worried about someone trying to pull quick rights around me and not seeing it. The flags do the trick, you think?
The flags help identify you as a long low rig. Your positioning helps determine your safety. I use the lane immediately to the left of the right hand turn lane for vehicles, regardless of bicycle facilities. I use sidewalks when crossing bridges or other areas w/o separate facilities when riding with a youngling. When vehicular cycling, ride big, take up whole lane. Works in your favor when pulling a kiddo. Flags and lights help. So do flashing front and rear lights. I rode safely with 3 out of 4 of my kiddos from toddlers till now. The oldest did not start bike commuting until kindergarten. I also ride pedicabs in downtown austin and do my best to keep me and my passengers safe in spite of what drivers may or may not be doing….

Last edited by AusTexMurf; 05-31-16 at 09:42 AM.
Old 05-30-16, 12:15 AM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tl;dr
@snow_echo_NY
Old 05-31-16, 09:03 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 521 Posts
Having spent 9/10 of my life in NYC. Specifically the Grand Army Plaza area and commuting daily into lower Manhattan via Flatbush Ave into the Brooklyn Bridge, I would not want to pull a child trailer through that kind of traffic. After I met my now wife (blind) we bought a tandem together and we bought a Bob Yak (single wheel cargo trailer) and the fact that it was a single track trailer, and also the fact that anything inside it was either non-sentient or biologically inert made it a good option for us.

Here in Portland where the traffic density is not really that far off from Brooklyn's, I see a number of Dutch Bakfiets in use. The child(s) ride in front of the cyclist but they are still fairly low to the ground. Cars are cleaner than once ago, but trucks and buses aren't really. Being that Dutch bikes are manufactured in and imported from a First World Country means they are rather expensive. A new one is almost certainly out of the o.p.'s stated budget. I have no idea what their second hand valuation might be.

I may have missed the post that recommended some kind of Xtracycle wheelbase extension which would allow the mounting of a child seat and still provide carrying options for 'accoutrements'. That would be my recommendation.
Old 05-31-16, 09:41 AM
AusTexMurf

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I may have missed the post that recommended some kind of Xtracycle wheelbase extension which would allow the mounting of a child seat and still provide carrying options for 'accoutrements'. That would be my recommendation.
Mundo | Yuba Cargo Bikes
Several different options including electric assist.

[h=3]For the whole family[/h]​The Yuba Mundo cargo bike has always been pretty killer. It fits nearly the whole family onboard--at least two kids and one adult, and maybe more if everyone is behaving. It's solid. We mean near-bulletproof solid. The thing rides like it's on a cushion of air. And it's got all the bells and whistles component-wise, which, for the rest of us, just means it works perfectly, and keeps working perfectly for years to come.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
mundo_v5_1024x681.jpg (89.9 KB, 38 views)
Old 05-31-16, 11:14 AM
snow_echo_NY

Bikes: Scott Genius, Surly Crosscheck, Yuba Mundo cargo, Specialized Dolce Triple (stolen 5/8/15)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joeyduck
hah thanks @joeyduck for the tag.

regarding trailers, i would read this: Carrying Children on Bikes - Trailer versus Kid Seat

i agree the most you have to worry about really is the uneven roads/pavement. with a trailer you are "driving a bus" and have to make wide turns and such. just being aware of your entire bike outfit. trailers are a great solution for parents who are working out. i personally think it is far safer to ride with the kids behind than in front, but hey every parents' perception is different and there is no real data to extrapolate anything else. just find something you and your kid(s) like riding and feel comfortable with and you should be set.

we had a trailer from age 1-4 and we stopped using it at age 4 b/c we won a cargo bike in a raffle, local here to NYC. the trailer is a perfect low cost option. (side: ours was high cost bc it transforms into a jogging stroller as well as a sled - we do a lot of XC skiing). however at higher weights, it was hard, not going to lie. 27 lbs trailer plus 45 lbs of kid plus other misc. weight - with my cross bike on hills i often had to gear down. i previously had a bike with a triple chainring - that works really perfectly for towing higher weights b/c you can gear down a ton, which helps a lot on hills.

the flag is fine as an alert to drivers. in NYC there are cyclists everywhere and drivers are pretty much always aware of us. wearing bright colors, flash bright lights, some even outfit their bikes with christmas lights. so, anything to be more visible is preferable.

ride predictably in traffic -> you will be fine for the most part. that said, there are bad drivers out there. you'll just have to be highly alert of them and steer clear of them. if you are FAR from them, you'll be OK.

view all child seats and trailers, as well as cycle-trailers (and other child bikey things!) here: Bike Trailers: Comparison Charts ? Two Wheeling Tots <= several someones on bikeforums.net recommended this site and i can't recommend enough as well. when in doubt, check out if Natalie has reviewed it.

OP @woodycooks, get yourself to a local shop that sells and services cargo bikes, and test ride some. most likely you will walk out with a midtail or longtail, probably the xtracycle edgerunner. they tend to outsell all other cargo bikes, something like a 10 or 15 to 1 ratio here in NYC.

we ride in a yuba mundo and we love it. great for groceries, rides to the various parks, and beaches. riding opens a ton of opportunities up.

EDIT: i just read the rest of what you wrote - we are planning to cart our school-aged kid to school this fall, and my husband is looking to add a bobike junior to the back of his bike bc he doesn't want to ride the yuba mundo to work everyday. (he has the surly crosscheck too, and it's about 24 lbs vs the 45 lbs a yuba mundo weighs). the school* is about 1-2 miles from home and work is bout 6-7 miles from the school. so for family bike rides in the neighborhood, we'll ride the yuba mundo. for a quick dropoff near home then a longer commute in to work, we're going with the bobike junior. i have no idea how it will work but we've seen other families do this and after speaking to them, they seem happy with it - so we're copying and hoping for the best.

*really should be potential school - we are actually still waiting to hear back about our school placements so when we know for sure we'll go get the bobike junior.

Last edited by snow_echo_NY; 05-31-16 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-31-16, 11:33 AM
greg3rd48 

Bikes: '19 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5, '72 Peugeot PX10, '71ish Gitane Super Corsa, '78 Fuji Newest, '89 Fuji Ace, '94 Cannondale R600, early '70s LeJeune Pro project

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 101 Posts
Using a trailer in NYC traffic is not advisable in my experience. Drivers just will not see the lower trailer sometimes especially in rush hour traffic. My little one is 1.5 years old but I only use the trailer on paths, exclusively. I just will not entrust the safety of a little one to the abilities of NYC drivers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.