Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Good set of Torx wrenches

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-18, 10:57 AM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts

A while back I bought a set of Torx wrenches that appeared to be very high quality but turned out to be very soft and ended up being stripped easily. They also didn't fit too well into Torx bolt heads. In fact, my Torx key multitool has much better quality wrenches on it!

What I'm after are a set of workshop Torx wrenches that are double ended and can get into awkward spaces (i.e. L-shaped with a wrench at each end of the 'L"). I'm in the UK by the way so would prefer to source locally. I need sizes up to T55 at least.
Old 06-14-18, 11:54 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Well, you can't go wrong quality-wise with a brand like Wiha; they are not the cheapest but they are well made and durable. They do not go to 55 size, but you could source a less-costly one, or two to cover the larger sizes as you are unlikely to strip them and they will probably be used infrequently.

Also consider a long, square drive Torx bit set, like these examples: https://www.amazon.com/Piece-Drive-E.../dp/B00HVD0A40 https://www.gearwrench.com/sockets-an...ocket-set.html
with appropriate extensions and U-joints they can reach into surprising places.
Old 06-14-18, 12:18 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
What are the UK pro mechanics' tool brands, IDK , I'm in the US.

Asked where they fix your car?

I have Eklind , and Park Torx bit tools , but in UK
you are buying them exported from the USA.

so you have to name your sources....

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-15-18 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-14-18, 08:22 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts

Torx on a bicycle? Where? I do work on all my own bikes (old and new), and those of friends. Can't recall ever seeing a torx on a bicycle.

Dan
Old 06-14-18, 08:44 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_

Torx on a bicycle? Where? I do work on all my own bikes (old and new), and those of friends. Can't recall ever seeing a torx on a bicycle.

Dan
Campag has gone to using it with 11s (RD fixing bolt, shifter clamps to name some OTTOMH). They pop up on MTB hardware as well.

Good Torx fasteners and drivers are better at resisting rounding-off than Allen head....problem being the cheap-not-to-spec Torx drivers (that will ruin your fasteners) are legion.
Old 06-14-18, 08:44 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts

Dan
T25 for some disc brakes and my HS33 hydraulic rim brakes, that's about all I can think of.
Old 06-15-18, 05:53 AM
Merco_61

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have only had good experiences using either Wiha or Bondhus L-shaped Torx drivers. In my sets, Wiha go up to T30 and Bondhus to T40, the Bondhus set starts at T9 and the Wiha at T6
Old 06-15-18, 10:50 AM
taz777

Dan
There's a few places - some mounts for accessories that I've got on the bike, rotors, and most importantly for me: frame bolts (the pivot points of an MTB frame). There's some bolts with an inner and outer Torx (different sizes so you don't need two Torx wrenches of the same size) that need to be tightened to specific torque settings. Here's a couple of examples:

Old 06-15-18, 12:16 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by taz777
A while back I bought a set of Torx wrenches that appeared to be very high quality but turned out to be very soft and ended up being stripped easily. They also didn't fit too well into Torx bolt heads. In fact, my Torx key multitool has much better quality wrenches on it!

What I'm after are a set of workshop Torx wrenches that are double ended and can get into awkward spaces (i.e. L-shaped with a wrench at each end of the 'L"). I'm in the UK by the way so would prefer to source locally. I need sizes up to T55 at least.
Unior ones are not bad and decently priced here. Not sure of the situation across the channel.
Unior d.d. | Hand tools

Toptul is cheaper, but good, if not better:
https://www.toptul.com/en/

If Google doesn't help finding a local distributor, ask for help.
Cheers.
Old 06-15-18, 09:55 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
I really like Bondhus, but they're a US company so maybe Wiha or Unior or the like are a better deal in the UK.

I personally generally dislike P style wrenches--stick with L wrenches, they have better clearance.
Old 06-16-18, 12:56 AM
buck1973

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PB Swiss Tools makes them in sizes up to T55. They make traditional L shaped and L shaped with the L head at a 100 degree angle for harder to reach places. PB Swiss tools are high quality, although a little pricey.
Old 06-16-18, 01:26 AM
taz777

Thanks for all the replies. The set I have look like they ought to be very high quality. They come with their own bench stand with holes for each wrench. They are a German brand.

As mentioned I have a Torx multi-tool which has wrenches that fit very precisely into bolt heads. So I’m looking to replace the ‘fake’ set as a workshop set.

I’ve done some reading up on Torx standards and it looks like there may be three different types of Torx heads/wrenches so I may have bought the wrong type several years ago.
Old 06-16-18, 04:30 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Wiha and Bondhus are the 2 best brands that I know of in the US. The splined forms on both of those brands are actually machined in rather than formed. Wiha makes their own machines for what they call Hex Tabular Milling.

About 20 years ago I designed some cutting tools for a company in New England that was making Torx bits for Wiha. Both the parts and the cutters are rotating in a very complex tool path. The process happens so fast, you have to see it on a CAD/CAM program to tell what's going on.

Profilator is another company that make machines for Cyclodial cutting: https://www.profilator.de/en/technol...oidal-cutting/

Watch video on the right to see transmission gear synchros being machined (in German).

Fastener manufacture Camcar Textron developed and patented the Torx design in 1967. When their patent expired in 1990 a variation of the original design came out called Torx-P or Torx Plus. Standard Torx tools will work with Torx-P but the fit is not optimal. Torx-P tools don't fit properly in the original style Torx fasteners.

One advantage of Torx tools over Hex drivers is the Torx tip is designed to wear rather than the fastener. You can grind the tip of Torx tools back repeatedly to keep the ends in good form.

Here's a good article on Torx products: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Old 06-16-18, 05:56 AM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
I agree with Wiha or Bondhus being the best bang for buck (think more bang than buck).

Do yourself a favor and get ball-end L-keys. Ball-ends greatly speed installation.
Old 06-16-18, 07:40 AM
Asi
Engineer

Bikes: 1989 Krapf (with Dura-ace) road bike, 1973 Sputnik (made by XB3) road bike , 1961 Peugeot fixed gear, 2010 Trek 4400

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In UK you can source pretty easy DRAPER Expert,
Stahlwille, Gedore, FACOM, Snap-on, wiha, IUS, Unior, Yato, Beta, KS-tools, etc - these are in the pro category and many of these will cost a bunch

But my guess is that any prograde tool will last a lifetime near bike bolts. Pro tools are used in high torque areas (400 Nm for a tiny bolt T55 is a lot.. here a cheap Yato tool will likely twist, a Draper will break and a Stahlwille may be up to the job.)

So hunt for cheap pro tools (that usually is a 1/4, 3/8, 1/2... square drive). Cheap and good tools are Yato, Powerfix (found in Lidl from time to time).. so go to any hardware store and go for torx bits that appear in matt grey finish with clean crisp edges in some sort of square drive or 10mm hex drive (but is overkill for small torx). I'd avoid 1/4 hex drive bits if they are unbranded and hobby level.
Old 06-17-18, 02:21 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Originally Posted by Asi
In UK you can source pretty easy DRAPER Expert,
Stahlwille, Gedore, FACOM, Snap-on, wiha, IUS, Unior, Yato, Beta, KS-tools, etc - these are in the pro category and many of these will cost a bunch

But my guess is that any prograde tool will last a lifetime near bike bolts. Pro tools are used in high torque areas (400 Nm for a tiny bolt T55 is a lot.. here a cheap Yato tool will likely twist, a Draper will break and a Stahlwille may be up to the job.)

So hunt for cheap pro tools (that usually is a 1/4, 3/8, 1/2... square drive). Cheap and good tools are Yato, Powerfix (found in Lidl from time to time).. so go to any hardware store and go for torx bits that appear in matt grey finish with clean crisp edges in some sort of square drive or 10mm hex drive (but is overkill for small torx). I'd avoid 1/4 hex drive bits if they are unbranded and hobby level.
Facom and Unior differ vastyl in quality and price in my country - Facom being much higher on both accounts.
Bahco is very good, while not costing too much.

The really cheap ones of poor quality is something I'd never recommend - even for a hobby use.
Old 06-17-18, 03:06 AM
Asi
Engineer

Bikes: 1989 Krapf (with Dura-ace) road bike, 1973 Sputnik (made by XB3) road bike , 1961 Peugeot fixed gear, 2010 Trek 4400

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Slaninar
Facom and Unior differ vastyl in quality and price in my country - Facom being much higher on both accounts.
Bahco is very good, while not costing too much.

The really cheap ones of poor quality is something I'd never recommend - even for a hobby use.
Yes they are. Stahlwille, snap-on, facom are top shelf tools costing an arm and a leg. -nice to use for heavy duty bolts in automotive industry, hydraulics, aviation, etc.

But for bike bolts any pro tools will work. like unior, or yato, or ks-tools

Draper is UK manufacturer of pro tools, but their quality decreased in past years. Draper used to be top shelf costing a lot, now they still cost a lot and the quality decreased. So better go for Beta - cheaper than draper - same quality of current draper. - but even that is more expensive than most are willing to pay.

Pro tools are usually expensive.. so to give an example: A set of good screwdrivers from Facom may cost you several hundreds $, while a set from yato (cheap pro tool) may cost you 50$ while a similar set hobby grade (chinesium) is 10$.

Again, any pro tool (even the cheap ones in the pro category) will do excellent on bike bolts.

So the normal debate over tools (snap-on vs MAC vs facom, etc) is between professionals in the automotive industry where you can often reach the limit of a cheap pro-tool and you need the best of the best even if it costs a lot. So back to bikes.. any will do.
I bet a Stanley hex bit will still be adequate for bike bolts. (but don't go that way.. stanley have some nicer hobby tools, but they are still hobby and out of the league of pro tools)

I might mention that Unior also has extensive shop-grade bike specific tools comparable to park tool in quality. (also blue in color )

Last edited by Asi; 06-17-18 at 03:10 AM.
Old 06-17-18, 04:25 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Originally Posted by Asi
Yes they are. Stahlwille, snap-on, facom are top shelf tools costing an arm and a leg. -nice to use for heavy duty bolts in automotive industry, hydraulics, aviation, etc.

But for bike bolts any pro tools will work. like unior, or yato, or ks-tools

Draper is UK manufacturer of pro tools, but their quality decreased in past years. Draper used to be top shelf costing a lot, now they still cost a lot and the quality decreased. So better go for Beta - cheaper than draper - same quality of current draper. - but even that is more expensive than most are willing to pay.

Pro tools are usually expensive.. so to give an example: A set of good screwdrivers from Facom may cost you several hundreds $, while a set from yato (cheap pro tool) may cost you 50$ while a similar set hobby grade (chinesium) is 10$.

Again, any pro tool (even the cheap ones in the pro category) will do excellent on bike bolts.

So the normal debate over tools (snap-on vs MAC vs facom, etc) is between professionals in the automotive industry where you can often reach the limit of a cheap pro-tool and you need the best of the best even if it costs a lot. So back to bikes.. any will do.
I bet a Stanley hex bit will still be adequate for bike bolts. (but don't go that way.. stanley have some nicer hobby tools, but they are still hobby and out of the league of pro tools)

I might mention that Unior also has extensive shop-grade bike specific tools comparable to park tool in quality. (also blue in color )
Ks-tools bits are poorly fitting, compared to Unior, Toptul, Bahco - to name a few cheaper ones. Their ratchet sets are good, especially for the price, but for bits I'd avoid them. The last thing you need is to damage a stuck bolt (especially a steel one in an alu frame).

My point is: not all the cheap tools are the same quality. Some are just not good enough - for any use.
Old 06-17-18, 01:23 PM
Asi
Engineer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finding the best tools is not the goal here. Otherwise go Hazet or go home.

Parktool is regarded as best tools manufacturer for bikes, and they are for sure fitted for the task and last well in every day use in a shop... no question about it.
But i can assure that a parktool is no match for most of the pro tools used in industry like names mentioned above. (i'm afraid to use those tiny Park T-handled inbus on an injection pump head with 8mm inbus bolts torqued to 250Nm but no problem for stalhwille)

I can't vouch for snapon.. i only have some old tools of them because snapon are a rare bird to see in Europe. And as you said, in top tier tools is more about marketing and warranty and other stuff.
Old 06-17-18, 01:56 PM
dscheidt

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Asi
Finding the best tools is not the goal here. Otherwise go Hazet or go home.

Parktool is regarded as best tools manufacturer for bikes, and they are for sure fitted for the task and last well in every day use in a shop... no question about it.
But i can assure that a parktool is no match for most of the pro tools used in industry like names mentioned above. (i'm afraid to use those tiny Park T-handled inbus on an injection pump head with 8mm inbus bolts torqued to 250Nm but no problem for stalhwille)

I can't vouch for snapon.. i only have some old tools of them because snapon are a rare bird to see in Europe. And as you said, in top tier tools is more about marketing and warranty and other stuff.
Park's hex and torx keys are made by Bondhus, who make world class tools. They're up to serious use.