Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Thru-Axle help needed for a beginner!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-20, 04:19 AM
Bjnkaya

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello there,

I have recently purchased a Cannondale Road Bike set from eBay, with everything included other than wheels, cassette and disc brake rotors. I have bought a Shimano 9 speed cassette, but I am finding problems with the wheels. As a beginner, I am not sure where else to turn!

I have purchased a Prime Stagiaire Disc wheelset from Wiggle, which is Thru-Axle. My frame is the standard dropouts I think so I am assuming I cannot use thru-axle? What do I need to buy/do to be able to attach the wheels to the frame?

The front is 12 x 100mm and rear 12 x 142mm. I have struggled to find adapters of these sizes. I am pretty beginner so something you could recommend which is simple but not too pricey would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks
Old 06-16-20, 05:15 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Thru axle and standard drop outs are not compatible. Sorry.
Old 06-16-20, 05:18 AM
Bjnkaya

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Fox Farm,

Thanks for your reply. So there's nothing I can do, no adapter or conversion?
Old 06-16-20, 05:28 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
If there is an adapter, I have never seen one. Quick release dropouts are open on the bottom, thru axle not. Return the wheels for some that will be compatible with your frame. If you can't return them, sell them and go to step B.
Old 06-16-20, 05:31 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Assuming that the bike is a disc brake frame (if it's a rim brake frame, there's absolutely nothing that you can do), you'd have to find QR (quick release) end caps for your hubs. Some disc wheelsets come with multiple end caps (QR, 10mm TA, 15mm TA), but that's become less common as 10mm TAs have essentially become the standard. To be clear, you need adapters from your wheel manufacturer - assuming that they make them - as others will not fit properly.

edit: guy - they've got a link for the end caps right on the wiggle product page - https://www.wiggle.co.uk/prime-stagiaire-qr-end-cap/
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 06-16-20, 05:32 AM
Bjnkaya

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, what wheels would you recommend as I'm struggling to find a disc wheelset that is not thru-axle? Budget build so ideally max £200 for the set.
Old 06-16-20, 05:34 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Bjnkaya
Okay, what wheels would you recommend as I'm struggling to find a disc wheelset that is not thru-axle? Budget build so ideally max £200 for the set.
Disregard his advice.
Old 06-16-20, 05:39 AM
Bjnkaya

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
You should contact Wiggle. The ad for your wheelset states "QR conversion kits sold separately." Such a kit may or may not address the differing rear axle width. Don't be surprised if they say "no." Why did you buy that wheelset?
Yes, I have found the QR end caps sold separately, but the rear is not in stock. This is the same for ChainReactionCycles. I have just contacted Prime to see what they say. Not sure what to do, either send back and look at other wheels or wait for something that may not be coming back lol.

And yeah I know, I am pretty beginner so made a few mistakes
Old 06-16-20, 06:53 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Bjnkaya
Hello there,

I have recently purchased a Cannondale Road Bike set from eBay, with everything included other than wheels, cassette and disc brake rotors. I have bought a Shimano 9 speed cassette, but I am finding problems with the wheels. As a beginner, I am not sure where else to turn!

I have purchased a Prime Stagiaire Disc wheelset from Wiggle, which is Thru-Axle. My frame is the standard dropouts I think so I am assuming I cannot use thru-axle? What do I need to buy/do to be able to attach the wheels to the frame?

The front is 12 x 100mm and rear 12 x 142mm. I have struggled to find adapters of these sizes. I am pretty beginner so something you could recommend which is simple but not too pricey would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks
Are you sure it's a 9-speed set up? Nine speed was old technology by the time disc brakes were on road bikes. Even 10-speed was on its way out when the first disc road bikes were introduced.
Old 06-16-20, 06:54 AM
rivers

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 79 Posts
DT Swiss wheels generally come with an adapter to convert it to quick release. I have a set of E1800s, and my rear wheel is quick release, front thru axle. You will struggle to get them new for £200, and if you buy used, may not have the adapters you need
Old 06-16-20, 07:00 AM
Bjnkaya

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Are you sure it's a 9-speed set up? Nine speed was old technology by the time disc brakes were on road bikes. Even 10-speed was on its way out when the first disc road bikes were introduced.
This was everything that was included in the bundle:

Canondale Frame
Canondale Forks
FSA Headset
Bottom bracket (BB30)
FSA Gossamer BB30 Cranks
Pedals
Seatpost
Boardman Saddle
Seatpost Clamp
Boardman Stem
Carbon Headset Spacers
Boardman Bars
New handle bar tape
New KMC X9 Chain
Shimano Sora Levers
Shimano Tiagra Derailleurs (new jockey wheels)
Tektro Novela CS Disc Brake Calipers
Shimano Rear Brake Mount Converter
Cables and Housings (routed internally)
Old 06-16-20, 03:03 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3660 Post(s)
Liked 5,405 Times in 2,745 Posts
Check Fulcrum wheels. They often come with a variety of end caps.
Old 06-16-20, 04:33 PM
jp911

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 Dura Ace, Niner RLT9 aluminum, Santa Cruz 5010 CC, Niner Air 9 rigid 29er, Trek Farley alloy

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 36 Posts
I would send the wheels back and look for a different product. Two brands that I personally have good experiences with that have multiple pricepoints AND have different adapters available are Hunt and Rol.