Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What tool to tighten/center this brake?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-28-20, 07:30 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts

This is the front brake on a Specialized Allez Sport Triple, and it's dragging the right pad. What is the tool/wrench that is designed to get into that tiny space and tighten that nut so it will stay centered?
Old 09-28-20, 07:45 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
maybe this, it will engage the flats on the front while you tighten the nut on the rear

https://www.parktool.com/product/off...e-wrench-obw-4

Old 09-28-20, 07:57 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Also, I notice from that picture how diagonal that front arm is, that's from my attempt (and failure) to take the brake apart to get to the centering bolt. The rubbing was there before that
Old 09-28-20, 07:58 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by branko_76
maybe this, it will engage the flats on the front while you tighten the nut on the rear
https://www.parktool.com/product/off...e-wrench-obw-4
Yeah, that looks like it would hold it. Not sure about 'the rear' though, I looked in the hole on the back of the fork and couldn't find a bolt
Old 09-28-20, 08:01 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Originally Posted by RubeRad
Yeah, that looks like it would hold it. Not sure about 'the rear' though, I looked in the hole on the back of the fork and couldn't find a bolt
Should be a recessed hex nut then
Old 09-28-20, 08:06 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
This is the front brake on a Specialized Allez Sport Triple, and it's dragging the right pad. What is the tool/wrench that is designed to get into that tiny space and tighten that nut so it will stay centered?
If the nut on the back of the brake is loose, just hold the brake near center and tighten it. You should be able to keep it centered well enough. Then use a screw driver on the screw on top (red arrow in the picture below) to fine tune the centering. If the caliper isn’t loose, you should be able to just adjust the centering screw.

Before you pick up a screwdriver, however, check to see that the wheel is square in the dropouts.

Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 09-28-20, 08:08 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by branko_76
Should be a recessed hex nut then
Yup. Should be a 5mm.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 09-28-20, 08:23 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
This caliper, like many we see, would benefit from a take apart and reassembly with cleaning and lubing. The arm pivots can be adjusted (usually for the better) for slop/friction balance. This is simple stuff although patience and focus are abilities used Careful examining of the pivots and any locking nuts and set screws is a must first. Andy
Old 09-28-20, 08:35 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
If the nut on the back of the brake is loose, just hold the brake near center and tighten it. You should be able to keep it centered well enough. Then use a screw driver on the screw on top (red arrow in the picture below) to fine tune the centering. If the caliper isn’t loose, you should be able to just adjust the centering screw.

Before you pick up a screwdriver, however, check to see that the wheel is square in the dropouts.

You don't really need a tool to center a dual pivot brakes, tighten down the nut that holds it to the frame so its snug, don't over tighten. Grab the pad of the side that's rubbing and pull it away from the rim. That's it. The little screw being pointed to is something that virtually never needs to be touched. I've spent way more time adjusting that screw from someone else playing with it then I ever did actually using it.
However the pivot bolt just to the left of that screw is clearly loose and unadjusted. You'll need to tighten that up which I find easier to do without the cable installed in the caliper. You'll need to loosen the nut slightly, and start tightening the bolt. As you tighten squeeze the pads to the rim and make sure they snap back open, at the point they don't back off 1/4-1/2 a turn and tighten up the nut. After tightening the nut double check the pads snap back open, sometimes tightening that up tightens the pivots and you may have to back the bolt off a touch more. Reinstall the cable and center. With old school single pivots you had to use tools but with duals they just pull to the side you want and you can easily futz with them.
Old 09-28-20, 09:43 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

OK the futzing screw was too good to be true. Screwed all the way in or all the way out, doesn't help. Screwed all the way in may be marginally better, but the whole brake wants to be rotated over to the side. It can be easily rotated by hand, but immediately rotates back. The rear brake cannot be rotated by hand. I think the answer must be in that locking nut.

I found the 5mm hex bolt in the back of the fork, it was already tight.

I got the front arm off, seems the reason it was all askew was from the previous time I halfway got it off, I wasn't able to get it back on right because of the protruding bottom of the futzing screw. With the screw backed out I could get the arm back on (with a little lube on the pivot).

When the arm was off, I could see a 5mm bolt on the front, that was also already tight.

So again, it seems like that locknut in the tight area has to be tightened down good, yes?
Old 09-28-20, 09:45 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

I believe the caliper is loose. (and the wheel is square in the dropouts)
Old 09-28-20, 09:49 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
You don't really need a tool to center a dual pivot brakes, tighten down the nut that holds it to the frame so its snug, don't over tighten. Grab the pad of the side that's rubbing and pull it away from the rim. That's it. The little screw being pointed to is something that virtually never needs to be touched. I've spent way more time adjusting that screw from someone else playing with it then I ever did actually using it.
However the pivot bolt just to the left of that screw is clearly loose and unadjusted. You'll need to tighten that up which I find easier to do without the cable installed in the caliper. You'll need to loosen the nut slightly, and start tightening the bolt. As you tighten squeeze the pads to the rim and make sure they snap back open, at the point they don't back off 1/4-1/2 a turn and tighten up the nut. After tightening the nut double check the pads snap back open, sometimes tightening that up tightens the pivots and you may have to back the bolt off a touch more. Reinstall the cable and center. With old school single pivots you had to use tools but with duals they just pull to the side you want and you can easily futz with them.
^All of this^. If you hadn't tried to take the brake apart all you would have had to do was make sure the nut on back was snug, center the caliper by hand, and then tighten the nut. Now you've got a little more work to do. The adjuster screw is probably ignored by 99.999% of people w/ tools.
Old 09-28-20, 09:56 PM
cyccommute 

You are making this way harder than it needs to be. The centering screw is there to “center” the brake. Why work harder than needed.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 09-28-20, 10:01 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by cxwrench
^All of this^. If you hadn't tried to take the brake apart all you would have had to do was make sure the nut on back was snug, center the caliper by hand, and then tighten the nut. Now you've got a little more work to do. The adjuster screw is probably ignored by 99.999% of people w/ tools.
The nut on the back (behind the fork) is beyond snug. I switched to the leverage position of the PW-5 and cranked it down a little more, but it is not loose, yet the whole brake swings back and forth with very little hand effort
Old 09-28-20, 10:02 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Tried to get in there with 13mm cone wrench, it almost seemed like it was grabbing, but then mushed off
Old 09-28-20, 10:19 PM
branko_76 

Originally Posted by cxwrench
I never regret taking a well used bike component apart. In addition to having a freshly cleaned, lubed and adjusted part, I usually learn something in the process.
Old 09-28-20, 10:26 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

You are making this way harder than it needs to be. The centering screw is there to “center” the brake. Why work harder than needed.
What if that screw doesn't get the job done?

The caliper should not be able to rotate back and forth by hand, should it? The rear one is quite firmly in place
Old 09-28-20, 10:37 PM
branko_76 

The caliper should not be able to rotate back and forth by hand, should it? The rear one is quite firmly in place
That is correct. You'll need to snug up the bolt that holds the arms. This is independent of the nut that holds the caliper to the bike. Removing the caliper from the bike may help you to figure out how to do it.
Old 09-28-20, 10:45 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

It sounds like you're talking about the bolt that holds two arms down. When I had the outside arm off, I checked that and it was quite tight.

So the only thing left would be the bolt behind the 3 arms, betwee the serrated thing and the spring. That I can't grab, so I guess I have to buy that Park OBW-4 to get at it.
Old 09-29-20, 01:01 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
You have to now remove the brake to adjust it correctly. A set of allen keys is nessecary. It's not difficult. There are likely grub screws and ball bearings in there so be careful..
Likes For blamester:
Old 09-29-20, 05:42 AM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
I don’t know exactly what model that is, but here’s a diagram of a dura-ace caliper that’s probably similar. Might be helpful if you take it apart:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stronglight/4042079326
Old 09-29-20, 06:27 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 719 Posts
Finding a screwdriver on my repair stand is harder then just grab a side and pull over. The rest of that is due to the fact his brake caliper is visibly falling apart. You mentioned having him check his wheel was straight in the drops but its noticeably obvious that it is straight to the main body of the brake, the outer pivot arm is coming unbolted, hence the other directions.
Old 09-29-20, 07:32 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Finding a screwdriver on my repair stand is harder then just grab a side and pull over. The rest of that is due to the fact his brake caliper is visibly falling apart. You mentioned having him check his wheel was straight in the drops but its noticeably obvious that it is straight to the main body of the brake, the outer pivot arm is coming unbolted, hence the other directions.
That's fixed. That was because I had previously tried to take it apart, but gave up and tried to screw it back together. The outer arm didn't neatly slide into place because the protruding centering screw was in the way. You can see in the photo the little stainless backstop that that screw is supposed to press against, not being where it belongs under the screw.

When I started this whole thing, the arm was not all akimbo like that, it just looked normal like the back brake, but the whole thing was loose and the right pad riding the rim.

Now I'm back to nominal assembly, I just haven't posted another picture.
Old 09-29-20, 07:40 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

FYI this is the bike, I don't know if 'Light Dual Pivot brakes' means off-brand or not
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/al...Text=9000-7949
Old 09-29-20, 07:51 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,791 Times in 3,305 Posts
The little screw to help you center the brake pads on the rim only controls movement in one direction. So you have to balance that with the adjustment from the barrel adjuster. If you've gotten the screw too loose or too tight, then you might need to turn the screw to put it in the middle of it's adjustment range, then put the barrel adjuster in the middle of it's adjustment range and then assess if you need to put the cable in a different position in the hold fast.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.