Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Good to be back!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Good to be back!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-20, 11:52 AM
Indyv8a

Bikes: Trek 800, Giant OCR C3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
Good to be back!

Ok, a moment of self awareness. This post is clearly a bit of bragging and seeeking approval. Anyway...

So October of 2011 I rode an organized century. (Seagull in Salisbury, MD.) As I was training I was going through a really tough time and it came to a head directly after the ride. Due to job change and other issues I lost the thread. I have occasionally been wistful about getting back on the bike, but never made the time. Due to Covid, my work schedule changed this fall and now I have plenty of time.

I pulled my old bike out of the shed, did some basic maintenance (brakes, freeing the shifters, clean and lube, new tires and tubes) and threw my leg over the bike. I have now completed my 5th ride in the last two weeks. (I have to say these have been the hardest 4.4 mile rides ever!) It feels good to have sore legs again at 53! Thanks for listening.
Likes For Indyv8a:
Old 09-30-20, 12:24 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
I remember at a similar age I started riding for health and exercise. 4 and 5 miles were an achievement then. Keep riding and you'll think nothing of a riding another century ride soon.

Don't forget to stay hydrated while on the bike and ignore those that think it manly to brag how little water they drink while riding.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-30-20, 02:47 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Welcome back! I never gave up cycling, except for two occasions of 3 weeks each (age 17 and age 40) when my left knee was immobilized following a patellar dislocation. I tried riding the mountain bike with one leg, but I didn't do too well with that. For a number of years, because of my work schedule, I did cut back on cycling and compensated with fast walking or jogging as part of my commute, but working from home this year has let me step up my cycling distance considerably, so in that sense I am "back in the saddle again," trying to average at least 60 miles/week. Build up your endurance gradually, and hang in there -- it is indeed rewarding.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 09-30-20, 03:18 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
You are not as "far behind" as you think.

A daily 18 mile round-trip commuter for years (with 20-40 mile weekend rides) I was off the bike for a year due to a non-cycling injury. After a half-a year of inactivity, I began to build up my cardio on the treadmill for a few months before returning to riding.

It's pretty hilly here in Colorado Springs, and even though I had the energy to ride, I did not have the muscles. It took weeks to become able to ride the 9 miles necessary to get to work (and then back). It took a few months more to be able to take all the hills again. I remember when I finally made it up the steepest hill on the ride home. Even then, it took a few weeks more until I could do it consistently.

So you are allowed a bit of bragging, and you have my approval.

Congratulations on your return to cycling, and the gumption it took to get started again. Don't get discouraged, don't get frustrated, realize that you may not attain your previous levels of cycling prowess, but then again you may, and possibly even surpass them.
Old 10-01-20, 06:24 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by Indyv8a
Ok, a moment of self awareness. This post is clearly a bit of bragging and seeeking approval. Anyway...

So October of 2011 I rode an organized century. (Seagull in Salisbury, MD.) As I was training I was going through a really tough time and it came to a head directly after the ride. Due to job change and other issues I lost the thread. I have occasionally been wistful about getting back on the bike, but never made the time. Due to Covid, my work schedule changed this fall and now I have plenty of time.

I pulled my old bike out of the shed, did some basic maintenance (brakes, freeing the shifters, clean and lube, new tires and tubes) and threw my leg over the bike. I have now completed my 5th ride in the last two weeks. (I have to say these have been the hardest 4.4 mile rides ever!) It feels good to have sore legs again at 53! Thanks for listening.
Welcome back. Seems to be more Cell Phone Drivers on the Road. Happy Safe Miles Ahead for You.