Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-12, 11:32 AM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by RubberLegs
Too nice a day to NOT ride somewhere, so I dragged my teenager out for a little 13 mile ride on the IRON bikes! Weedon Island Preserve, St Pete FL
I was tempted to go out yesterday, but was feeling exceedingly lazy. I'm in the same state of mind today. Next time I'm down in the area I'll have to look you up and see about a ride.
Old 11-18-12, 11:33 AM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Originally Posted by jimmuller
35.4 miles on the tandem with my sweetie. It was actually a "pre-recovery" ride in preparation for a birthday ride tomorrow with JJScaliger, 73 miles which actually overshoots the target by 9. Today was cool, not much wind but high temps a bit below 50F. Tomorrow will be about the same except that we'll be starting earlier.

Memo to self: Get to bed early tonight.
Just remember: pics or it didn't happen! Have fun on the ride with JJScaliger!
Old 11-18-12, 04:12 PM
RubberLegs

Bikes: 87 Bridgestone 550 (Shocking Electric Metallic Pink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Nice day to ride again today, but too busy for much, just rode up to Choir Practice....Yup...I'm a Choir Boy...What Of IT! :-) Working up Handel's Messiah, the Christmas portion with a massed choir. If you're in the Bay Area (Tampa Bay that is) on Dec 9, it is at Grace Lutheran, St Petersburg, at 3:00. Now I KNOW Christmas is coming since we are working that up!!!

ps Cycling helps with lung capacity....in case you didn't know! :-)
Old 11-18-12, 04:21 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by RALEIGH_COMP
Colonel- that gitane looks bad ass! what model/ year is it?
Thanks! It's a 1972 Tour de France. The cheap Kenda cross tires make it look mean. It's a nice riding bike, though, and it's fun to have a 1x5 around.

Originally Posted by photogravity
So did you actually race and, if so, how did you place?

As far as the unicorn hecklers, they are second only to the yeti hecklers with regard to their viciousness.
I hope your question was meant as a joke because I found it hilarious. No, I was there as a spectator only. Though I'm building a CX bike now for gravel riding and the like, I've never raced. Pretty sure if I tried to race on that bike I'd hurt myself pretty bad.
Old 11-18-12, 04:38 PM
mikemowbz

Bikes: Are several.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 21 Posts
Jaunt through the middle of Montreal: city ride

You folks post so many great pics of idyllic countryside rides that I got to thinking: this doesn't much represent my typical weekend ride (actually, I usually do loops in the park near my apartment: exciting, huh?) So in the the interest of bringing a little 'balance', I dropped my camera in my pocket today as I headed out on the Marinoni.

After a quick errand - picking up a $20 pair of Campy SR skewers to save one of my bikes from the godawful red-anodized skewers the PO subbed in - I headed for a wandering ride through Montreal's Plateau and Mile End neighbourhoods, including a jaunt up and down one of my favourite little runs, a gravel path which runs along the railway tracks East-West right in the middle of the island of Montreal:

In the old commercial-industrial heart of the city, this warehouse (and the old water tank up top) marks the intersection of the tracks and Boulevard Saint Laurent (St Lawrence Boulevard), known locally for many years as 'The Main':

Now the area is home to many a fixie riding hipster, and all sorts of other folks. There's a bit of graffiti on the old buildings:

All kinds of 'street art' around here, really:

The sun drops so early these days, it's tougher to get a ride a in. Once I've held out for the temperature to rise a bit, it's almost time for the sunset. This was just a few minutes after I had heard one of Montreal's many church bells ringing 4pm:

At the time I got home, it was about 2C, or approximately 35 Fahrenheit. I think I need some gloves with fingers, and some thicker socks.

Still, it was a good ride. Whether simply because I'm out of shape, or perhaps because it was a good effort , I was showing a sheen of sweat when I made it back up the stairs (pic on the 'Who exactly are BF members?' thread)...outside temperature notwithstanding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bikepath1.jpg (88.4 KB, 156 views)
warehouse1.jpg (99.7 KB, 156 views)
graffiti1.jpg (102.1 KB, 156 views)
streetart1.jpg (96.5 KB, 155 views)
sunset1.jpg (95.0 KB, 155 views)

Last edited by mikemowbz; 11-18-12 at 06:05 PM.
Old 11-18-12, 07:17 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
I survived "The day JJScaliger tried to kill me". Caution - a bit of New England bucolic follows.

I met BF member JJScaliger in Coventry , RI, and we rode northwest to Quinebaug, CT, then south through Woodstock, Pomfret, Brooklyn, and Canterbury, then east through Central Village, Moosup, and Sterling, and (eventually) back to Coventry. By JJS's computer it was 70.64 miles. That's 6 miles more than the required birthday total, this being three days late.

It was a cool day but not too cold. Traffic was light early, though JJS kept saying it was heavier than normal. The ride was wonderful and bucolic, but danged hilly! I think JJS said it had over 3000ft of climbing. Even with the custom low gears on the Masi there were a few hills where I had to stand on the pedals, not my preferred way to slog up long hills. However we kept slogging and made it to the tops. As far as I know I'm not still out there slogging up a hill. We pushed harder than I would have by myself because we were chasing the sunset, trying to get back to the cars before dark. JJS had no trouble though. He's a strong rider! It was spectacular day.

JJS's De Rosa and my Masi:

A covered bridge in Coventry (I think), with tolls posted:

Some Woodstock sights:

Last edited by jimmuller; 11-19-12 at 12:16 PM. Reason: speling
Old 11-18-12, 09:39 PM
JJScaliger

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 58 Posts
De "The day JJScaliger tried to kill me" Addenda et Corrigenda

Roseland Cottage Woodstock CT

Built by Henry Bowen as a retreat from NYC to his hometown. Lots more here:

https://www.historicnewengland.org/hi...ottage-history

Pomfret/Brooklyn CT

Brooklyn/Canterbury CT

Action shot

A covered bridge in Coventry (I think)
Foster RI

I think JJS said it had over 3000ft of climbing
2375'; I know it probably felt like 3000'.

A great day! I hope I'm still blasting out the miles when I'm 64!
Old 11-19-12, 09:20 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Quote JJScaliger:
< covered bridge = >
Foster RI
< elevation gain = >
Thanks for the corrections. Tell you the truth, I had no idea where we were during the first half of the ride. (Please PM or email a road list of the first half so I can track it out on a map. Thanks.)

Only 2375ft? I coulda' swore you said it was 5000ft. Or maybe 6000. Actually, the total climbing and distance wasn't really a problem, but the fact that we felt obliged to blast through it made it more challenging. Since I had driven for an hour and half before we started my breakfast was two hours earlier. Despite our short stops for munching I spent the whole ride hungry!

You'll have no trouble blasting out miles for as long as you want. One thing I've decided about my "increasing comtemporariness" is that the day I stop doing something is the day I start not being able to. So the trick is just to keep doing them.

Now about those hills, I often use a trick I learned from yoga, something you competitive athletes probably know all about. The mind can tell the body to do things the body doesn't really want to do. It just takes a bit of mental effort to make it happen. I had to do that on some of those extended steep sections. Just keep pedaling and ignore everything else that doesn't matter.

It was a great ride. Thanks for yanking me down there to do it. I'd love to do it again, but preferably when we aren't feeling under so much time pressure. Photo ops abound!

And I should mention to everyone that JJS is a very considerate and companionable riding partner. He worked out a challenging and very scenic ride. (Of course high elevations always provide the scenic parts!) And I appreciate his consideration for my speed and well-being as the day moved along. It was a great day.

Last edited by jimmuller; 11-19-12 at 08:26 PM.
Old 11-19-12, 05:10 PM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 160 Posts
Finally, after 9 days (thanks to travel and family commitments) I was able to get out today for my lunch time 25 miler. Nothing spectacular in the photos. In the past I wouldn't have ridden outside on a day like today pretty wet roads, but no rain. I really need some fenders and it would be more enjoyable - I have the portable, seat post fender/mud stripe prevention apparatus for now and it works well enough.

Old 11-19-12, 08:32 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

scozim, your pics always look like you'd want to ride there forever. Good to see you got out again.

I manage a lunchtime escape from the office, just 45min on the Blackstone Bikeway. Not too many cyclists out.
Old 11-20-12, 06:47 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Originally Posted by Chuckk
Headed out on the '89 Bianchi today, and before I knew it I was pushing for my 65@65 ride - 65 miles "celebrating" my upcoming 65th birthday.
Well done, sir!
Old 11-20-12, 08:54 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 179 Posts
Headed out on the '89 Bianchi today, and before I knew it I was pushing for my 65@65 ride - 65 miles "celebrating" my upcoming 65th birthday.
I remember your 64th, what a great tradition. Keep it up, soon you will be doing the century ride and giving Willard Scott a call.

Now that I turned 50 I was thinking I need to start doing this too.
Old 11-20-12, 10:11 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Originally Posted by KOBE
I remember your 64th, what a great tradition. Keep it up, soon you will be doing the century ride and giving Willard Scott a call.

Now that I turned 50 I was thinking I need to start doing this too.
Yeah, the Birthday Ride is a "thing" they do over in the 50+. Keep it going!
Old 11-20-12, 02:25 PM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 160 Posts
With the potential for a bursa sac removal on my right knee tomorrow and unknown recovery time today was perfect for a longer ride. 60% chance of rain so I left at 8:45 am hoping to be successful in missing it. Note to self: eat more for breakfast as I forgot to take some food and ran out of gas about 7 miles from home - right before the run in with 4 dogs. That's what I get for having a lengthy lay off. Still a great ride at 43 miles with temps in the low-40's F.

You can hit almost 40 mph coasting down this hill but coming up is a bear - Drillium Dude can attest to that.

The long climb of the day - just over 2 miles

Nice viewpoint at the top - notice in the background the valley was half burned during our first major wildfire this summer.

I love seeing signs like this but forgot about the hill pitching up - with a headwind and even 36-21 gearing I was definitely standing up in several places

Old 11-20-12, 05:39 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by scozim
You can hit almost 40 mph coasting down this hill but coming up is a bear - Drillium Dude can attest to that.

Oh, yes: Hungry Junction; it wanted to eat my guts for lunch

Great pics! If it stays dry over the next couple days I'll be getting out for a long, bundled-up ride, too.

DD
Old 11-20-12, 06:13 PM
Chrome Molly

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Pics from a few day's rides

Sunday was nothing more than testing the low gears on my Miyata 1000 while tooling up and down the hills of Stillwater (pic of lift bridge)
Monday was a 25 mile ride around Afton MN (pic of along the state park after the climb up from the river, looking very late fall)
Today was a 50 mile jaunt to Prescott, then to Hudson, then back home on a route past the Kinnickinnic state park in Wisconsin (Pic's in Prescott, the newly redone down/up along Kinni state park - less sketchy than before and a new lane, but big concrete barriers, and finally the boats up for the winter in Hudson)

All days in the lower 40's at ride time. Today was the least windy. Very nice for this time of year, happy I took most of the week off.
Attached Images
DSCN1354.jpg (99.6 KB, 20 views)
DSCN1357.jpg (97.5 KB, 20 views)
DSCN1359.jpg (101.4 KB, 22 views)
DSCN1360.jpg (94.9 KB, 21 views)
DSCN1361.jpg (101.6 KB, 21 views)
DSCN1363.jpg (98.7 KB, 23 views)
DSCN1368.jpg (99.1 KB, 23 views)
DSCN1370.jpg (101.1 KB, 22 views)
Old 11-20-12, 06:19 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrome Molly

Sunday was nothing more than testing the low gears on my Miyata 1000 while tooling up and down the hills of Stillwater (pic of lift bridge)
Monday was a 25 mile ride around Afton MN (pic of along the state park after the climb up from the river, looking very late fall)
Today was a 50 mile jaunt to Prescott, then to Hudson, then back home on a route past the Kinnickinnic state park in Wisconsin (Pic's in Prescott, the newly redone down/up along Kinni state park - less sketchy than before and a new lane, but big concrete barriers, and finally the boats up for the winter in Hudson)

All days in the lower 40's at ride time. Today was the least windy. Very nice for this time of year, happy I took most of the week off.
Great pics.

There are some whoppers of hills around Stillwater!

We have rides planned the next four days in a row.

Supposed to be extra warm.
Old 11-20-12, 09:25 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd
I hope your question was meant as a joke because I found it hilarious. No, I was there as a spectator only. Though I'm building a CX bike now for gravel riding and the like, I've never raced. Pretty sure if I tried to race on that bike I'd hurt myself pretty bad.
I was actually sort of serious, but thought it might afford an opportunity at humor if I was wrong.
Old 11-20-12, 09:30 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Originally Posted by mikemowbz
You folks post so many great pics of idyllic countryside rides that I got to thinking: this doesn't much represent my typical weekend ride (actually, I usually do loops in the park near my apartment: exciting, huh?) So in the the interest of bringing a little 'balance', I dropped my camera in my pocket today as I headed out on the Marinoni.

After a quick errand - picking up a $20 pair of Campy SR skewers to save one of my bikes from the godawful red-anodized skewers the PO subbed in - I headed for a wandering ride through Montreal's Plateau and Mile End neighbourhoods, including a jaunt up and down one of my favourite little runs, a gravel path which runs along the railway tracks East-West right in the middle of the island of Montreal:

In the old commercial-industrial heart of the city, this warehouse (and the old water tank up top) marks the intersection of the tracks and Boulevard Saint Laurent (St Lawrence Boulevard), known locally for many years as 'The Main':

Now the area is home to many a fixie riding hipster, and all sorts of other folks. There's a bit of graffiti on the old buildings:

All kinds of 'street art' around here, really:

The sun drops so early these days, it's tougher to get a ride a in. Once I've held out for the temperature to rise a bit, it's almost time for the sunset. This was just a few minutes after I had heard one of Montreal's many church bells ringing 4pm:

At the time I got home, it was about 2C, or approximately 35 Fahrenheit. I think I need some gloves with fingers, and some thicker socks.

Still, it was a good ride. Whether simply because I'm out of shape, or perhaps because it was a good effort , I was showing a sheen of sweat when I made it back up the stairs (pic on the 'Who exactly are BF members?' thread)...outside temperature notwithstanding.
mikemowbz, thanks for your alternate perspective. You captured some great cityscapes. Oh, and that Marinoni looks like a fun ride!
Old 11-20-12, 09:35 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Originally Posted by jimmuller
I survived "The day JJScaliger tried to kill me". Caution - a bit of New England bucolic follows.

I met BF member JJScaliger in Coventry , RI, and we rode northwest to Quinebaug, CT, then south through Woodstock, Pomfret, Brooklyn, and Canterbury, then east through Central Village, Moosup, and Sterling, and (eventually) back to Coventry. By JJS's computer it was 70.64 miles. That's 6 miles more than the required birthday total, this being three days late.

It was a cool day but not too cold. Traffic was light early, though JJS kept saying it was heavier than normal. The ride was wonderful and bucolic, but danged hilly! I think JJS said it had over 3000ft of climbing. Even with the custom low gears on the Masi there were a few hills where I had to stand on the pedals, not my preferred way to slog up long hills. However we kept slogging and made it to the tops. As far as I know I'm not still out there slogging up a hill. We pushed harder than I would have by myself because we were chasing the sunset, trying to get back to the cars before dark. JJS had no trouble though. He's a strong rider! It was spectacular day.

JJS's De Rosa and my Masi:

A covered bridge in Coventry (I think), with tolls posted:

Some Woodstock sights:
Good stuff Jim. Looks like a great ride with some nice scenery. I guess I should consider myself as "warned" in case I decide to try to arrange a ride with JJS in the future.
Old 11-20-12, 09:38 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Originally Posted by JJScaliger
De "The day JJScaliger tried to kill me" Addenda et Corrigenda

Roseland Cottage Woodstock CT

Built by Henry Bowen as a retreat from NYC to his hometown. Lots more here:

https://www.historicnewengland.org/hi...ottage-history

Pomfret/Brooklyn CT

Brooklyn/Canterbury CT

Action shot

Foster RI

I'm so glad that you and Jim finally arranged a ride and, as usual, nice pictures. I'll think twice about planning a ride with you now I know how well you ride.
Old 11-20-12, 09:46 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Finally, after 9 days (thanks to travel and family commitments) I was able to get out today for my lunch time 25 miler. Nothing spectacular in the photos. In the past I wouldn't have ridden outside on a day like today pretty wet roads, but no rain. I really need some fenders and it would be more enjoyable - I have the portable, seat post fender/mud stripe prevention apparatus for now and it works well enough.
Nice scozim! Despite your assertion that the pictures arent special, I like the one with the stream. Nice shot. As far as fenders go, from my perspective no bicycle is complete without them. Try 'em, you'll like 'em!
Old 11-20-12, 09:57 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

I got washed off this low water crossing back in '95. Amazing how far a good bike can float

The road goes on forever

Home about 5

A few more photos here, and several other birthday rides, too
Hey Chuckk, I'm glad to see you out on the Bianchi. The comment about a bike floating had me laughing out loud, for sure. Austin is one of my favorite cities with my all-time favorite bbq joint: Iron Works BBQ. I'm glad I don't live anywhere near the place or I'd be a considerably bigger guy than I already am!
Old 11-20-12, 10:07 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

With the potential for a bursa sac removal on my right knee tomorrow and unknown recovery time today was perfect for a longer ride. 60% chance of rain so I left at 8:45 am hoping to be successful in missing it. Note to self: eat more for breakfast as I forgot to take some food and ran out of gas about 7 miles from home - right before the run in with 4 dogs. That's what I get for having a lengthy lay off. Still a great ride at 43 miles with temps in the low-40's F.

The long climb of the day - just over 2 miles

Nice viewpoint at the top - notice in the background the valley was half burned during our first major wildfire this summer.

I love seeing signs like this but forgot about the hill pitching up - with a headwind and even 36-21 gearing I was definitely standing up in several places
Glad you got out and about today, since you might be laid up for a little while. That little hill you showed looks long and gradual compared to the ones around where I live. I coasted to over 46 MPH on last Sunday's ride, but it was a short steep run. Seems to me if coming up that hill is a bear, to use a term the guys in the road forum do, it's time to HTFU! Looking at DD, I'd have thought he'd laugh at that hill.
Old 11-20-12, 10:11 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Originally Posted by Chrome Molly

Nice stuff CM. Good to see that you were able to stick with your plans of getting out and riding this week!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.