Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Motobecane Super Mirage

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-13, 11:16 AM
CenturionIM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Motobecane Super Mirage

I was browsing my local craigslist and found this bike. The seller says it comes with suntour component and wants $210. The pictures are bad as they do not show much useful information, being taken from the non drive side...but it seems like the bike is in good condition.

What kind of tubing would this bike have and how is the componentry? Is it a good deal?

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/bik/3538297916.html

Old 01-11-13, 11:22 AM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
That's a good deal - especially if he comes down a little. New tires, excellent condition, are a big plus.

It's very hard to find such a beautiful bike these days at sane prices.
Old 01-11-13, 11:50 AM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 79 Posts
It does look to be in great shape and the recent work is likely done well (even some bike shops are not great at working on older bikes).

However it's nowhere close to as special a bike as he is suggesting. Nor did it sell for $1000 back in the day. More like $150. I truly hope he did not pay $200 for the work and parts on it.

Sellers with deluded ideas like this are often loathe to part with them, even in the face of reality.

If you really loved the bike and could get the guy down some on the price it might be worth it. However I think you can do better. And never feel like there is 'the One' vintage bike that you MUST HAVE NOW or you'll always regret missing...99% of C&V bikes were mass produced and turn up again and again.

There is a CL seller who's had a Motobecane 'Grand Touring,' a higher model, with nice Suntour Cyclone parts, for only slightly more money, up there on and off for months. I'd look for that one to reappear, or something like it.

There is a guy who has TWO Super Mirages (no pics) who wants $600 for the pair or $350 apiece on Chicago CL now too! Craziness.

- Dr Samuel Johnson

Last edited by Chicago Al; 01-11-13 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-11-13, 12:16 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
The subject bicycle appears to be a fair deal, however, as noted, the seller's claims must be considered suspect. The Super Mirage was a nice, upper entry level model. This one appears to be from the late 1970s, when they used 2040 tubing, which is basically a lightweight, hi-tensile steel. The components were well spec'd, with a nice blend of reputable Japanese and European manufacturers.

Last edited by T-Mar; 01-11-13 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-11-13, 12:36 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,926 Times in 1,491 Posts
Mike and Frank would only pop at $50 for that. Then make Danielle sell it for $350.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 01-11-13, 12:40 PM
auchencrow

+1 to the comments above regarding the sensational marketing squawk.
(It's always best to take ANYTHING a seller says with a big grain of salt.)

The thing to do is to be the first to see the bike -cash in hand and (making sure there's no dents, stuck posts etc), make the best deal you can in person.
Old 01-11-13, 01:49 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
I would pass, as it is a high ten steel model (bottom end frame), stem shifters, turkey levers, etc. And depending what year, Motobecane was in love with Swiss BB, which are more obsolete than the french stuff, and as a minimum, limits your upgrade options.

"Parts are pretty easy to source" is funny, think french headset, odd french stem and bar sizing, Swiss or French BB, etc. While many of these parts are being reproduced, pricing tends to be anything from 2X to 5X the standard sized stuff. As long as everything works, that is not a big deal. Its when you need to fix something, or want to upgrade.

At the $210 price level, I would expect to see a cromoly frame, down tube shifters, etc.

Motobecane did a better job component wise than some of their competitors, embracing nice Japanese bits, like Suntour derailleurs.

+100 BS meter is pegged on this ad: Rare? Nope. $1000 original price? Nope. Do I care that he won't be making money on this sale? Nope.

Last edited by wrk101; 01-11-13 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-11-13, 03:29 PM
CenturionIM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys/gals. You have been most helpful.
What attracted me to this bike was
1. My fascination with motobecane because of BD.
2. The paint seems so fresh.
Now the seller states this: "The frame is hand painted". Is this just marketing talk, or does he mean he repainted it?

Originally Posted by Chicago Al
There is a CL seller who's had a Motobecane 'Grand Touring,' a higher model, with nice Suntour Cyclone parts, for only slightly more money, up there on and off for months. I'd look for that one to reappear, or something like it.
There is a guy who has TWO Super Mirages (no pics) who wants $600 for the pair or $350 apiece on Chicago CL now too! Craziness.
Thanks for the heads up. Chicago's CL indeed has some crazy stuff. My fav one is a posting for a Miyata one-ten asking for 480$ firm. Believe it is still up.
Old 01-11-13, 05:45 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 79 Posts
Yes, the guy with the Miyata is nuts...I think he actually has two, a 110 and a 210, both at ridiculous prices, like $460 and $480. Even if those are the best preserved of those models anywhere, the price seems about 2x too high.

For reference, I paid $300 for my Motobecane Grand Record off Milwaukee CL. Not a steal but a fair price, steep enough that no one had jumped on it. There is now one on Chicago CL, in very good original condition, at $500--and not selling. Mine had some wear and was very dirty and in need of an overhaul, which I wanted to do myself. It had some changed parts but they were good ones, so aside from the saddle it was not a great expense to return it to mostly original. And of course I have had all the enjoyment of doing all that, stripping it down, figuring out how I wanted to put it together, finding the parts, etc.

But you've already got an Ironman, so I would think if you want a Motobecane you would also want something like a GR or Grand Jubile, unless you're looking for a beater.

Keep in touch and join us on one of our Chicago C&V rides...there's likely to be one in the Spring!

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Old 01-13-13, 03:13 PM
CenturionIM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chicago Al
Keep in touch and join us on one of our Chicago C&V rides...there's likely to be one in the Spring!
Yeah for sure!
Old 01-14-13, 12:43 AM
Captain Blight

Bikes: -1973 Motobecane Mirage -197? Velosolex L'Etoile -'71 Raleigh Super Course

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Mike and Frank would only pop at $50 for that. Then make Danielle sell it for $350.
Okay... who the ham sandwich are Mike, Frank, adn Danielle?
Old 01-14-13, 02:22 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Looks like it sold already as the ad is gone.
Old 01-14-13, 03:12 PM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by oddjob2
Looks like it sold already as the ad is gone.
Hopefully the OP moved on it and snagged it!
Old 01-14-13, 05:35 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I bought my '77 two summers ago in excellent but dirty/greasy condition for just 60.00 and when cleaned up looks gorgeous. Classy bike. Like others have suggested, it is not a rare bike though they are not getting easier to find. My first bike was the lowly Mirage back in '73 and I rode it for years. Nice riders.
Old 01-14-13, 05:53 PM
IthaDan 

Bikes: Click on the #YOLO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll

Originally Posted by Captain Blight

Shimano : Click :: Campy : Snap :: SRAM : Bang
Old 01-14-13, 06:25 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,926 Times in 1,491 Posts
Originally Posted by Captain Blight
American Pickers! a History Channel show

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk