Ms 150

Old 11-03-13, 07:42 AM
msd3075

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by the sci guy
Someone one BF in another thread recommended these: https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-PD-M32...cmu_pg__header
Good idea? Bad idea?

also how would I find what shoes I can wear with them?

Those are good all-purpose pedals. They'll do everything you need them to do. They use a Shimano SPD cleat that's a 2-bolt design, so you just need to look for a shoe that is "2-bolt compatible".

When you see a shoe/cleat/pedal in person, all these terms will make a lot more sense. If I were you I'd stop by your LBS just to see what all these parts look like in person.
Old 11-10-13, 06:42 PM
Roobay_today

Bikes: Caad10, Specialized Sequoia & Crosstrail sport disc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My son and I are riding in the ms150 this year. We are riding with Ol Army, it is a team for current/former students of Texas A&M. It is open to others as well. its a great team.
Old 11-18-13, 10:43 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 189 Posts
So when you book the bus to bring you back I assume it lets you pick a bus back to the one of the three starting points you started from.
Old 11-19-13, 01:21 PM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
So when you book the bus to bring you back I assume it lets you pick a bus back to the one of the three starting points you started from.
Yes. I attended a new rider orientation meeting last week. They cover all of these points and promise to make everything easy.
Old 11-19-13, 03:59 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

where was th new rider orientation? was it open to the public or something i have to sign up and pay for.

we want to do the training rides program that starts in january, but it's $250+ for both of us to sign up. this is getting too $$$ for our 1 income budget.

Last edited by the sci guy; 11-19-13 at 09:53 PM.
Old 11-19-13, 08:59 PM
msd3075

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
where was th new rider orientation? was it open to the public or something i have to sign up and pay for.

we went to do the training rides program that starts in january, but it's $250+ for both of us to sign up. this is getting too $$$ for our 1 income budget.

The training series is good for people that either wouldn't otherwise make the time to train properly or want to get experience to learn what the MS150 ride will be like. If you are able to train on your own I wouldn't sweat it if you can't do the recommended training rides. I never did a large group ride prior to this year's MS150, and I was absolutely fine. That being said I trained quite a bit on my own. I'd go ride George Bush Park down and back twice every weekend and then do a 60-90 minute ride twice during the week. I think I over-trained (I was more than prepared), so don't think you need to do that for a successful MS150.

If you choose not to do any of the official training rides, I would recommend you at least learn proper group ride 'etiquette' (hand signals, things to call out, how and where to ride in relation to others, etc). That's the one thing I wish I had a bit more familiarity with during the beginning of the ride.
Old 11-19-13, 09:53 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Originally Posted by msd3075
The training series is good for people that either wouldn't otherwise make the time to train properly or want to get experience to learn what the MS150 ride will be like. If you are able to train on your own I wouldn't sweat it if you can't do the recommended training rides. I never did a large group ride prior to this year's MS150, and I was absolutely fine. That being said I trained quite a bit on my own. I'd go ride George Bush Park down and back twice every weekend and then do a 60-90 minute ride twice during the week. I think I over-trained (I was more than prepared), so don't think you need to do that for a successful MS150.

If you choose not to do any of the official training rides, I would recommend you at least learn proper group ride 'etiquette' (hand signals, things to call out, how and where to ride in relation to others, etc). That's the one thing I wish I had a bit more familiarity with during the beginning of the ride.
i've been riding +/- 30 miles in GBP for the past month and a half - before we even signed up to do the MS150. I usually go from one of the lots on HWY 6, all the way out mason creek to Rudy's on Katy FWY, then back. Haven't added THP yet, but that's coming.

how is the wind on the MS150? am I going to hate life, or is it a nice tailwind, or just so so?
Old 11-20-13, 08:02 AM
msd3075

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i've been riding +/- 30 miles in GBP for the past month and a half - before we even signed up to do the MS150. I usually go from one of the lots on HWY 6, all the way out mason creek to Rudy's on Katy FWY, then back. Haven't added THP yet, but that's coming.
As long as you keep that up, you should be more than ready for the ride. The only thing I'd suggest is to gradually bump up the mileage as you get closer to April. Try to do a 40 mile ride in January, 50 mile ride in February, and a 60 mile ride in March.

My problem this year was that, having never ridden in it before, I was over-thinking my training instead of just going out and having fun. Trust me, the ride will be a lot easier than you think right now, especially seeing as you are already doing regular 30+ mile rides with no problems.

how is the wind on the MS150? am I going to hate life, or is it a nice tailwind, or just so so?
This year we had a steady 5-10 mph tailwind for most of the ride. I've heard 'horror stories' though of years where there was a 10+ mph headwind the entire way.

The prevailing winds typically are from the SE (coming off the Gulf), so you'd expect us to more than likely have a tailwind. If a front blows through though, the winds will be coming out of the N/NW. In April in SE/Central TX, you just really never know which it's going to be.
Old 11-20-13, 10:27 AM
txags92

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Yes, the tailwind last year was glorious after a couple of years with fairly brutal headwinds. As was said, most of the time in the spring, the wind is out of the southeast, so you are more likely to have a tailwind than a headwind...BUT...if you have a headwind, it will be because a front just went through, which means it will be strong. If the training series is too much, what you are doing is fine as long as you keep bumping the mileage up as you get closer to April. There are several good rides in the srping that you can sign up for individually for around $25-35 if you want some group ride experience prior to the MS150. Given that you came from somewhere with real hills, you may not really need it as much, but I would normally suggest that in late February and March you make an effort to get out further west and get some time riding in the hills. There is a ride in Chappell Hill in March I believe that is always well attended and supported that has lots of good rolling hills like you will find on the way to Austin.
Old 11-20-13, 10:28 AM
memebag

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

we want to do the training rides program that starts in january, but it's $250+ for both of us to sign up. this is getting too $$$ for our 1 income budget.
The NRO was at Sun & Ski Sports on Westheimer. There are several more listed on the BP MS 150 web site. I think you are supposed to sign up, but no one was turning anyone away. It was free. There was free pizza, beer, wine and cake. And goody bags from Sun & Ski.

The NRO packet has a recommended training schedule. Judging from that and the vibe I got from the other attendees, I'm pretty much ready to ride it. I've been doing some group rides with the "Come Ride With Us" Meet Up group (https://www.meetup.com/Come-Ride-With-Us-Meetup-Group/) for the past few weeks just to learn the lingo and etiquette. We're doing a 44 mile ride from The Heights to Katy (and back) on Sunday. That should be fun.

One of my personal goals is to be able to do a century into a 15mph head wind.
Old 11-20-13, 01:02 PM
txags92

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
You missed a chance by a couple of years. When the San Antonio MS150 used to ride from San Antonio to Corpus Christi, there was a 10-15 mph headwind almost every year. One year it was 15-20mph headwind and about 105F heat index as we approached the coast. Brutal doesn't begin to describe it. We had a group of about 6-7 seasoned experienced riders, and we could only manage a paceline at about 10-11 mph.
Old 11-20-13, 02:38 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

thanks for the info guys. y'all are super.

the bike i'm riding now is my commuter/craiglist bike - old 90's steel MTB that weighs like 35 pounds. i'll be getting a cross-check in the next few months. i'm hoping the effort i'm putting into moving the beast i have now will translate well on the new bike. don't worry i'll have it in plenty of time to be used to it's fit and feel.
Old 12-17-13, 01:31 PM
aggarcia

Bikes: 14 Ridely Noah RS, 09 Trek 2.1, 10 Trek 7.1 FX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is the page for NRO dates and other info about the ride. https://biketxh.nationalmssociety.org...al&fr_id=22598

Your team captain should also be able to answer your questions.

AG
Old 12-17-13, 08:15 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Awesome, thanks. The wife and I just registered for the Feb 5th one at Bicycle World Houston on Memorial.

We more than likely won't be able to do any of the training rides, and can't afford the training ride program ($135 each is just too much extra cash). So we'll be making our own training rides in GB Park and THP, etc.

And now we have new bikes, so we're rockin'!

How many people actually go take showers at the high school? seems like it'd be a giant cluster****.
Old 12-19-13, 01:14 PM
txags92

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have never gone over to the school for that. I think in years past, they had fewer shower trucks and the lines were much longer. The last couple of years I think I have had to wait in line maybe 20-30 minutes. Not a big deal.
Old 12-19-13, 07:14 PM
msd3075

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How many people actually go take showers at the high school? seems like it'd be a giant cluster****.

Originally Posted by txags92
I have never gone over to the school for that. I think in years past, they had fewer shower trucks and the lines were much longer. The last couple of years I think I have had to wait in line maybe 20-30 minutes. Not a big deal.

Don't make the mistake I made this year. Instead of waiting the 20-30 minutes in the normal shower truck line, I waiting only a couple of minutes to use the "cold water only" shower trucks. I thought it'd cool me off after spending all day out in the sun.

I don't think I warmed back up again until I made it to Austin the next day.
Old 12-20-13, 02:02 PM
txags92

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
We had to do that down in Corpus Christi in 2005 after Katrina and Rita hit. All our shower trucks went to help folks in Louisiana and East Texas. Instead we got a tarp shrouded livestock trailer with cool water coming from spray nozzles mounted on a PVC pipe. It was a good rig for short notice, but it wasn't exactly a refreshing experience. At least then in was in the 90s so we warmed up quick.
Old 01-03-14, 09:45 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Dear Mother Nature,

I've got a rather lengthy cycling event in a few months I'd like to start training for. I'd appreciate it if you could keep the temperature above 32° and the winds below 40mph gusts. That'd be great. After all, this is Texas. We're practically Mexico. I should be out cruising in a balmy 50°+ every day. Get your **** together, woman.

Sincerely,

Dan
Old 01-03-14, 10:41 AM
txags92

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Get used to it...training in crappy conditions just makes it feel so much better when ride day rolls around and it is 72F with a 10 mph tailwind. I follow the 2/3 philosophy with my training. Out of wind, cold, and rain, I will ride in any 2 of the 3, but not 3 of 3. If you wait for 1 of 3 or 0 of 3 in Southeast Texas, you won't get much riding in before April.
Old 01-03-14, 01:10 PM
memebag

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I'm grateful for the good weather we've been having. It's supposed to get up to 68F tomorrow!
Old 01-03-14, 02:34 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Today is nice, too, but I have other things that need doing.
Hoping to go tomorrow though definitely. But then Sunday the temperature plummets again.
*shakes fist*
Old 01-04-14, 08:42 AM
msd3075

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Today is nice, too, but I have other things that need doing.
Hoping to go tomorrow though definitely. But then Sunday the temperature plummets again.
*shakes fist*

We had record cold temps last year during the MS150, and it wasn't as cold outside as it is right now. I was in the 30's for the early morning portion, but I was pulling off my jacket by the first rest stop and my base layer by the second rest stop. Just jersey and shorts after that.

I'd train in the wind and/or the rain if I were you, but to me there really isn't a need to push it in the cold right now if your main purpose is to train just for the ride. There are other things you can do to help increase your fitness right now other than saddle time. Based on what I've read on here about how into cycling you are, you'll be fine for the time being.
Old 02-23-14, 06:34 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

doing between 40 and 50 miles on my rides now. legs are sore after, but i've starting having those gels along the way and they are definitely helping with my energy

fundraising sucks though
Old 02-24-14, 09:40 AM
msd3075

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
doing between 40 and 50 miles on my rides now. legs are sore after, but i've starting having those gels along the way and they are definitely helping with my energy

fundraising sucks though

If you can do 40-50 miles right now, you should be fine. Just make sure you are eating and drinking enough, and you should be more than ready. Also, see if yo ucan go out and do it two days in a row. A lot of people can put in the mileage for one day but don't realize what it's like doing it a second day in a row.

I've been lagging with my training but for good reason. My wife and I had our first child about 6 weeks ago, and all the time I used to have to train is now gone. Not complaining about it by any means, but it's going to make the MS150 ride that much more difficult. My trainer has been banished to the garage to make room for baby stuff, so that makes it even worse. I got out and rode 30 miles yesterday (have a 3 mile loop near my house at the old Compaq/HP campus where I can rid twice up/down the 5-6% grade overpass over 249 each lap), and while I felt fine afterwards, I'm definitely feeling the soreness today.
Old 02-27-14, 11:39 AM
txags92

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I did 52 up in New Waverly last saturday and my legs were talking to me about it until yesterday.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.