Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

What are your favorite gloves (rain, 35-50 degree temperature)

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-12, 11:13 PM
techman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I ride in Portland Oregon and San Francisco in the winter, where temperatures vary between 35-50 degrees and often in rain.
I'm looking for a comfortable pair of full fingered cycling gloves. The gloves Ive tried either don't keep me warm enough or get soaked in the rain.
Old 12-23-12, 01:53 AM
Bluish Green
Bicycle Commuter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For that temperature range, this is what I am currently using - a combination of both of these:

Marmot Basic Work Gloves
https://marmot.com/products/basic_work_glove

Bar Mitts MTB Style
https://barmitts.com/

I haven't yet found one pair of gloves that meets that range of temps + rain, so if others have and can post it, I'd be interested too.

These two together can tackle everything in that range and rain too for my 6 mile each way commute.

The Marmot gloves have been a pleasant surprise, more durable than I thought they would be (the leather is very soft, but it is pigskin, which is notoriously tough), and the synthetic liner is pretty dang good at moisture management. The liner is not removeable though, and I haven't cleaned the gloves yet (I wash hands before and after use and call it good enough). On their own (without Bar Mitts) though, I wouldn't use them for temps in the 30's for any long distance ride, they are not insulated enough.

The Bar Mitts are excellent for extending the temperature range of the gloves down into the upper 20's or lower and cutting wind and rain (light to moderate rain so far, haven't had to ride in torrential downpour with them yet) out of the equation. The downside to the bar mitts is the extra expense, the minor inconvenience of having to take hands out to signal and put them back in, having to leave them on the bike or remove when parking (depending on how secure location is) and not being able to see the gear number on my 7-speed IGH shifter. All of the downsides are really minor to me compared to how well the bar mitts excel at everything else.

If anybody has one pair of gloves that I could use to replace the two I am using, I am "all ears."
Old 12-23-12, 09:17 AM
Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
My favorites are the second,dry pair I carry and put on after the first ones eventually get soaked through.
Old 12-23-12, 09:26 AM
erig007

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can go for water resistant gloves like those made with goretex, schoeller etc... Those breathe a little but get soaked after a while depending on the rain, how you sweat, how often you use your gloves etc They don't stay warm if you ride for a long time and if you wash them they loose their insulation with time.
(yes washing your gloves make them less warm after)

Or you can go for waterproof gloves with vapor barrier like my system. Those are totally windproof/waterproof. Waterproof gloves are usually made of rubber, latex or nitrile etc.... They don't breathe at all but the insulation stays dry at all time so stays warm whatever the length of your ride, how often you ride and don't go to the washing machine because your sweat never reach the glove itself.

But the most important thing is to find the gloves with the right fit for you as every hand is different. Great dexterity means no room at the fingertips and warm enough means wide enough to no restrict blood flow. You probably will have to go to the shop and try all of them.
I tend to avoid lofty gloves with no hard layer on the fingertips (leather layer) because they have soft fingertips which reduce dexterity dramatically and because when the loftiness increase the durability of the gloves decrease.

Now my system.
I use the widest possible black 6/8mil disposable nitrile gloves (disposable if you eat with them not disposable if you ride with them) under and above wool liners (black diamond woolweight or else) and/or 40g thinsulate leather motorcycle leather gloves depending on the wind, length of the ride, if i'm cold or not etc.. + nitrile glove above.
As a reminder, nitrile gloves make the gloves system totally windproof and waterproof.
And yes your sweat get stuck under but it avoids you to contaminate the insulation layer with your sweat and avoid the need to wash the gloves and loose insulation.
With the black diamond liners + nitrile gloves i go around 40/45F depending on the ride, myself, the weather etc.
With the combo BD liners + motorcycle gloves + nitrile gloves up to 10F idem depending...
With the combo merino wool liners *2 + motorcycle gloves + nitrile gloves up to 0F

Other gloves that you could give a try if they are not too tight and the fingers too long for you:
the ice bay fishing gloves
They seems to have good reviews maybe those will work for you.
Personally i have had only bad experiences with neoprene gloves but i have pretty wide hands hard to fit

https://www.amazon.com/Glacier-Glove-...pr_product_top

Last edited by erig007; 12-23-12 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-24-12, 08:07 PM
Hezz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by techman
I ride in Portland Oregon and San Francisco in the winter, where temperatures vary between 35-50 degrees and often in rain.
I'm looking for a comfortable pair of full fingered cycling gloves. The gloves Ive tried either don't keep me warm enough or get soaked in the rain.
In the wet 50 F temperature range cheap neoprene full finger fishing gloves work great. 35 F rain is hard to deal with. I would try erig007's methods for that situation. Or get some thicker neoprene dive gloves for the 35 F temps. Combined with the nitrile vapor barrier next to the skin. Just by keeping the warm sweat from mixing with the cold rain will give you an extra 10 degrees or so.
Old 12-25-12, 01:19 AM
adventurepdx

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by techman
First off, what gloves are you using?

I also live in Portland and this time of year I usually wear wool gloves. Nothing fancy, just some nice thick rag wool gloves you can find in a number of places for around $10. I usually get the ones that have a grippy surface on the palm side. Wool stays warm while wet, and if you worry about them getting too wet, then take an extra dry pair (just like Burton said.)

I also use a pair of cheap leather gloves with lining. Nothing special. Work pretty well too.

I have a set of "real" winter gloves for the particularly cold days. They work great for that, but it's got to be at least 35F or lower for me to pull those ones out, as I end up sweating inside otherwise.
Old 12-25-12, 04:54 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
i rode in seattle winters and the northwest for over 15 years, and found sno-sealed or waxed leather work gloves over wool liners was the winning combination.

Modern gloves that are sewn together or modern materials get a stink and a funkiness that is difficult to get rid of.

Modular is key, even better when it is the classic wool/leather combo.

you can see them in this video here

cheap, warm and great in the wet.

I have them sized so i can pull them off and on while riding if i need to do something quite dextrous.

Last edited by Bekologist; 12-25-12 at 05:00 AM.
Old 12-27-12, 08:43 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked 1,286 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by Bekologist
I LOL'd at the air freshener!
Old 12-27-12, 10:07 PM
Bent Bill

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2 Giant Frankenbike Trek Utopia Canondale 3.0 Sun Easy Racer Tadpole Schwinn Tandem Cheap Unicycle

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I have a pair of these but they might be to warm above 40 degrees
They are nice but not real durable
I have used mine about 2 1/2 years but its time to replace them now

https://clamoutdoors.com/ice_armor/gl...or-gloves.html
Old 12-28-12, 08:05 AM
Pynchonite

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Epic Comp Carbon, 1989 Cannondale ST-400, forthcoming SaltAir Cycles Gravel Bike :D

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've got a o' Pearl Izumi Cyclones that I wear in that temp range and that I'm really happy with. Surprisingly warm.
Old 12-28-12, 08:40 AM
droy45
tougher than a boiled owl

Bikes: Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Any nylon ski gloves will give you some water repellent capabilites but not water proof. The handlbar mitts are always the best all around solution for warmth and dryness. I have the snowmobile handlebar gauntlets but rarely have to use them. These are the very best in comparison to the cycling specific mitts.
Old 12-28-12, 06:09 PM
thechemist
In the Pain Cave

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Race windshield glove by bontrager. LOVE them

https://bontrager.com/model/09877
Old 12-30-12, 09:23 PM
ol geezer

Bikes: Pinarello ROKH, Masi CX, Cannondale CAAD X

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a pair of Gordini gloves similar to this model: https://www.gordini.com/products/glov...retch-gauntlet from REI a year ago to use for cross-country skiing (and they were a close-out so I got them cheap). They're well-insulated and have a Goretex lining so they're also waterproof.

I rode in mid-30 degree dry weather a week ago using "winter" cycling gloves and my fingertips got so cold they hurt. The other day, I used these Gordini gloves on another mid-30s dry ride and my fingers stayed completely toasty. They were, admittedly, a little clunky due to the insulation and there's no grippy-ness to the fingers but I got used to them quickly. I'm doing an upper-20s/low-30s ride tomorrow morning and you better believe these gloves are along for the ride!
Old 01-01-13, 09:23 PM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm ride a lot near Tacoma so my conditions are similar. Its been a problem. I've bought so many "water prof " gloves in the past that were neither water prof or warm. My wife has made up a huge and truly water prof mitts that I insert my woolen gloves into and that seems to work for me. Of course they get damp from the inside, but I carry a spare set along so I just put the spares on for the ride back. It works ok. I'm going to try the idea provided by Hezz a few comments above where he mentions a nitrile glove covering the skin. That idea holds promise for me.
Old 01-03-13, 12:25 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I don't like "waterproof" gloves. The main thing that waterproof gloves do is hold the water in. That's not fun. I've been using Performance gloves, the model that's now called Zonda, for years. They work for me in the rain down into the high 30s. But I climb a lot. For riding slowly on the flat, they wouldn't work.