Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Winter Bib tights ??

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Winter Bib tights ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-15, 11:14 AM
Willbird

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Winter Bib tights ??

I did a search first and may of the threads are very old, and so I started a new one :-)...things change over time too, some threads were back in 2006.

Currently I use Aerotech top shelf bibs and Performance Bike leg warmers. Up top I wear two C9 Duo dri compression long sleeve, an LG thermal jersey, and a Cp Duo dri full zip fleece.

Thinking about stepping up to thermal bib tights so it will be a 1 piece setup waist to ankles.

Wondering how the Aerotech Stretch Fleece and Thermoroubaix stack up compared to the PI Amfibs ?

Honestly with the setup I have now I am OK at 14F-16F with winds of 8mph gusting to 20" as far as my lower body goes that does not really get "cold" in 1 hour, hands and feet have been the battle really.....wearing wigwam medium weight wool socks and chemical toe warmers and doing fairly OK there.

There is not a HUGE price difference between the Aerotech Thermoroubaix and the PI Amfib but I do know my size in the Aerotech stuff (I wear an L), no clue in the PI stuff.

Bill
Old 01-02-15, 11:51 AM
Willbird

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Using summer shoes and Neoprene shoe covers, forgot that, not totally germane to the topic, but info nonetheless.
Old 01-07-15, 12:05 AM
Hezz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't speak for the brands of bibs that you are looking at. But if you are warm with the current configuration I would concentrate on getting a warmer foot solution. It will make riding a whole lot more enjoyable than a new set of bibs.

If you are using summer shoes and neoprene covers at 15F you are lucky to have warm feet. You might do well with some inexpensive winter cycling shoes like the Answer Kashmir if they are still made. It's best to have winter shoes larger for thicker socks. Perhaps you are already doing that with your summer winter riding shoes.

I have found that no cycling specific gloves work for me. The best solution turned out to be a cheap pair of fleece gloves with a nylon ski glove shell over it. This is really warm and can be taken apart for drying so it's warm the next day.
Old 01-07-15, 09:30 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I've got some PI Amfib bib tights and they are simply some of the best bits of winter bike gear I have ever used. Highly recommend them. The comfort range with Amfibs is incredible -- warm down to the teens (my coldest temps around here) and not too hot up to the 50s. My Amfibs are bib tights without the pad, and I wear them over regular cycling bib shorts. I also recommend the bibs over the tights. I initially bought the bibs and had trouble keeping them to stay up, so I exchanged them for the bibs, which are simply fantastic.
Old 01-07-15, 11:44 AM
KenshiBiker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
I've got some PI Amfib bib tights and they are simply some of the best bits of winter bike gear I have ever used. Highly recommend them. The comfort range with Amfibs is incredible -- warm down to the teens (my coldest temps around here) and not too hot up to the 50s. My Amfibs are bib tights without the pad, and I wear them over regular cycling bib shorts. I also recommend the bibs over the tights. I initially bought the bibs and had trouble keeping them to stay up, so I exchanged them for the bibs, which are simply fantastic.
+1 For the PI Amfib bib tights. One the temps drop down to the 40s, I'll wear them on longer rides. They're one of the pieces of kit I'm planning on duplicating, so I don't have to do without due to one pair being in the wash.