Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Good waterproof rain/wind pants,..under $100 bucks?

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-15, 10:57 PM
RiseAlways

Bikes: 1970s Peugeot UO-8, 1980 Peugeot PXN10E "Super Competition", 1985-86? Miyata 610, 2012 Trek 3500 Mtn Bike, late 1800s project build/bike (will it ever get finished?..your guess is as good as mine! HA!),etc...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I looked at a pair of Showers Pass Storm Pants this evening but after doing research I found, (from what reviews had said), that you're basically going to be wearing plastic wrap?!

So,... I'm asking the cycling oracles that have had actual experience with the wet elements to weigh in here if you'd be so kind. I'm not looking to spend over $100 bucks,... more like $50-70 would be better, less if possible/practical?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-06-15, 12:11 PM
chandltp

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 7000, old Huffy MTB, and a few others

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got these:

https://www.amazon.com/O2-Rainwear-Or...rds=rain+pants

They don't breath well so I restrict their use to under 40°F. But when it's cold and wet, they keep me dry. I've only had to use them about a dozen times in the past few years, so I can't speak for their durability. The fabric doesn't feel durable but they've been fine so far.
Old 01-06-15, 04:26 PM
RiseAlways

Bikes: 1970s Peugeot UO-8, 1980 Peugeot PXN10E "Super Competition", 1985-86? Miyata 610, 2012 Trek 3500 Mtn Bike, late 1800s project build/bike (will it ever get finished?..your guess is as good as mine! HA!),etc...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a pair of North Face rain pants for hiking but to keep them tight around my calf areas to use for biking isn't very feasible as I've not found a good way to do so.
Old 01-06-15, 11:04 PM
Hezz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RiseAlways
I looked at a pair of Showers Pass Storm Pants this evening but after doing research I found, (from what reviews had said), that you're basically going to be wearing plastic wrap?!

So,... I'm asking the cycling oracles that have had actual experience with the wet elements to weigh in here if you'd be so kind. I'm not looking to spend over $100 bucks,... more like $50-70 would be better, less if possible/practical?

Thanks in advance!
Stay away from waterproof clothing for winter cycling unless you are planning to ride in 33-45 F degree rain. You will freeze and be very uncomfortable in water proof clothing in below freezing conditions. You only need water resistance. The legs especially need to breath even more than the torso in cold conditions.

What works best in my opinion is to have two pair of winter cycling tights. One thin and one thick. They are wind resistant but breathable and stretchy. Depending on how cold it is you will wear only the thin ones over your cycling shorts. Or, under them if you are using mountain bike type shorts. Or you can use only the thick ones or both. Both together should be good down to -10 F.

Even though they are not waterproof they are made out of material that is slick and shiny on the outer side and water just rolls off of them. You will get damp but not soaked unless you are in a torrential downpour. If you are gearing up for heavy rain. Just carry a lightweight rainsuit, but don't put it on unless it rains very hard while riding.

The thin winter tights are about 50-60 bucks USD and the heavy winter ones are around 90-120 bucks but you can find some brands for less from Performance bikes. Looks for sales.

https://www.amazon.com/Canari-Cyclewe...N%3DB001GR8QAM

https://www.amazon.com/Sugoi-MidZero-...N%3DB002LOBXNQ

Last edited by Hezz; 01-06-15 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-06-15, 11:21 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Performance Bike.
Raining above 42°: Performance Thermal II Tights
Raining down to 35°: Performance T*****x Tights without Chamois
Looks like the latter are sold out for the season. Pretty late to be looking for winter clothes.
Old 01-07-15, 08:23 PM
RiseAlways

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Performance Bike.
Raining above 42°: Performance Thermal II Tights
Raining down to 35°: Performance T*****x Tights without Chamois
Looks like the latter are sold out for the season. Pretty late to be looking for winter clothes.
Those look good,.. to bad their sold out.
It may be late but its not that late,... there's dozens of retailers out there.

Anyone try the Pearl Izumi AmFib tights? I've read good and bad about them. Found them for under $100 bucks, but still pricey.
Old 01-07-15, 11:25 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts

Anyone try the Pearl Izumi AmFib tights? I've read good and bad about them. Found them for under $100 bucks, but still pricey.
They're the best. The Tr****x are their poor cousin. Buy 'em if they're still there.
Old 01-08-15, 07:22 AM
GravelMN

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've really likes Sport Hills' XC pants. They have a wind and water resistant front and are close, but not tight, fit so you can easily add a base layer if needed. They aren't for warm weather though. Above about 50f they get uncomfortable.
Old 01-08-15, 10:40 AM
jdswitters

Bikes: Swobo Fillmore, Kona Ute, Salsa Timberjack, Salsa Fargo, New belgium brewery cruisers-2014 and 2009 and 2007

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
Novarra express bike pants from REI, for me they are good down to about twenty over levis. Any colder than that and I have some old north face snow pants I got second hand.

One frustrating thing about the novarra though, I usually wear hiking boots in the winter to work and the pants are tough to get on and off over the boots, I wish the bottom zipper went up another 3 inches. This is the second season with them and they are holding up well.

75 bucks from REI
Old 01-08-15, 10:01 PM
Hezz

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I can't say if I have used those AmFib tights but I have had several Pearl Izumi products and I usually find them to have about the highest price/performance ratio of any of the cycling products. I have been pleased with all of the Pearl Izumi products I have used.
Old 01-08-15, 11:08 PM
RiseAlways

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I've found Pearl to be good stuff when I could aford it. That and the Santini rain jacket I snatched up in a sale a few months ago has been fantastic as well!
Old 01-09-15, 11:12 AM
principia 650

Bikes: 70's fleetwing single speed 1999 marin quake 5.0 mtb 2014 trek 7.4 FX principia 650 TLC time trial 2009 trek 6500 disc mtb mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i recently picked up a pair of "over pants" got off of e-bay.Oxford motorcycle pants.. seller ghostbikes-uk.have not really had on in real wet weather yet. rain shower and they seemed ok..have worn on cold 15-20 degree F temps mornings and my legs have not been cold. they are yellow flourescent and black stripes so you sort of look like a convict but they seem to work..around $30 dollars.
Old 01-09-15, 11:19 AM
bigredkevbot

Bikes: 2015 All-City Spacehorse, 2014 Specialized Allez Race, Mid 80s Takara Acknowledge Fixed Gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The North Face Men's Venture 1/2 Zip Pant - at Moosejaw.com
Old 01-09-15, 11:24 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by chandltp
I got these:

https://www.amazon.com/O2-Rainwear-Or...rds=rain+pants

They don't breath well so I restrict their use to under 40°F. But when it's cold and wet, they keep me dry. I've only had to use them about a dozen times in the past few years, so I can't speak for their durability. The fabric doesn't feel durable but they've been fine so far.
I second this, you can't beat the price for the product. Simple, but effective. I have two O2 jackets and one pair of pants. I will happily buy more from them when I need it.

For durablity, one of my jackets is the Original (same as the pants) and I have put a lot of miles on with that jacket over many years, still works great.
Old 01-13-15, 06:37 PM
takenreasy

Bikes: ’83 Bianchi Special ’96 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp ’09 Gary Fisher Paragon ’09 Surly Cross Check ’11 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 50 Posts

Thanks in advance!
Check out the SP Club Convertible 2's. You will not feel like you are wearing plastic wrap.
Old 01-14-15, 10:03 AM
AMusingFool

Bikes: Trek 7700, Motobecane Le Champion ST Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll second or third the recommendation for the AmFibs. They're fantastic.
Old 02-23-15, 12:19 AM
md11mx

Bikes: Devinci Oslo

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've used www.froggtoggs.com/ with great success.
Cheers,
David in Alaska
Old 02-27-15, 02:33 PM
CharlieFree

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I have the Pearl Izumi Select WxB pants. The are light and work quite well. I do wish they were longer in the inseam. Retail price is over $100 but seems easy to find them under that mark.

https://www.amazon.com/Pearl-Izumi-Me.../dp/B003BLOSMQ
Old 03-01-15, 08:31 AM
El Cid

Bikes: Surly Krampus

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use North Face pants made from gore-tex. They have velcro at the bottom, allowing me to strap them firmly around my boots, and they keep me warm and dry in any weather. Waterproofing is especially important in winter since the roads are usually always going to have either water or slush at the sides.

I paid a hundred bucks for mine, and I might throw them out after this spring. I have holes wearing through the seat of the pants. But for two years of service, I think I paid a fair price.
Old 03-02-15, 05:44 PM
bnelson

Bikes: lynskey cross 29 er teesdale custom snow bike

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fox wear lou will take care of you
Old 03-02-15, 06:38 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Unfortunately there is no single best solution; especially under a Benjamin. The amfib tights are the best between about 25-40F whether it's raining or not, maybe up to 50 if it's raining. Between 50 and say 70 or so, you are going to be more comfortable with a gore tex rain suit if it's raining. I have a set of Gore Path jacket and pants that I like very much, but it is likely a little outside your budget unless you can find a good deal. I'm still trying to find my favorite pants for below 20F. I fall a few times every winter which tends to put holes in the knees so recently I have been using an old pair of fox 360 motocross pants, which despite looking absolutely ridiculous, work surprisingly well for cold weather riding and are tougher than just about anything else you can find.
Old 03-05-15, 06:32 PM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Can you wear Amfibs in a pouring rain? I have a pair of the Sport Hill XC pants. But those are cold weather pants. They are not waterproof or to be used in the rain.
For rain I use the O2 Calhoun pant. I've had them for eight years now. And they work good. They breathe well, and they work in a pouring rain. On Tuesday, we had 32f/0c with a cold pouring rain. I stayed warm and comfortable in them. Lots of room for my winter gear underneath. Sometimes, in the summer, I'll roll them up to above my knees if I don't want my shorts to get wet.
For cold weather, I wear Sport Hill XC pants. Originally a winter cross-country ski pant. I use these with no base layer down to 25f/-3c. Below that I wear either workpants as baselayer or cycling tights. windproof and coldproof. expensive but will last years. I have had mine going on eight years now, and still going strong. Below 20f/-6c I will add leg warmers for extra warmth. That works down to -5f/-20c. Below that I use snow pants.

https://o2rainwear.com/2011/03/calhoun-pant/

Last edited by scoatw; 03-10-15 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-06-15, 05:01 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
The Amfibs are not waterproof, but I have worn them in the pouring rain. They will keep you warm if it's not too cold, but they will not keep you dry. If I know I'm going to be out in the pouring rain, I prefer waterproof rain pants over Amfibs.