Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

School me on Suntour

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

School me on Suntour

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-19, 09:29 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
Most welcome.

I think I want your camera to arrive way too much.
Ha ha - me too! I checked my mail a couple hours ago; nothing yet. I decided to cable up the derailleurs tonight and get it finished off (for now, with what I am currently going to run) so that I can test ride it tomorrow. Always hoping the forecaster has it right and the rain finally stops!

DD
Old 12-14-19, 10:06 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Nice crankset. Those were very popular once. Appropriately drilled out. For whatever reason, the actual Sugino branded cranks were way more common BITD than the Superbe branded version. As has been pointed out, Sugino made the Superbe cranks. A not campy bike would typically have Sugino cranks, Superbe brakes, Cyclone derailleurs, etc. Hubs would be Phil, in most cases. I don't know why but these things went together.

Unless you have a set of French pedals, I'd endorse retapping to BSC, but use a real pedal tap and proceed carefully. If it was vintage TA or Stronglight, I'd lean against it. Just my prejudice I suppose.
Old 12-14-19, 10:46 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Nice crankset. Those were very popular once. Appropriately drilled out. For whatever reason, the actual Sugino branded cranks were way more common BITD than the Superbe branded version. As has been pointed out, Sugino made the Superbe cranks. A not campy bike would typically have Sugino cranks, Superbe brakes, Cyclone derailleurs, etc. Hubs would be Phil, in most cases. I don't know why but these things went together.

Unless you have a set of French pedals, I'd endorse retapping to BSC, but use a real pedal tap and proceed carefully. If it was vintage TA or Stronglight, I'd lean against it. Just my prejudice I suppose.
So I'll end up with a period-correct US amateur race bike with my Superbe brakes, Sugino cranks and Cyclone derailleurs - cool! I even have a (tubular) wheelset with Phils that I may one day press into service on this bike

Since I don't have the tools for it - and let's not forget the lack of expertise - I won't chance doing the re-tapping myself. While doing so would allow a greater selection of pedals, I've currently got options of Zeus and Atom 700s, both of which I've used before and would use again. I love the look of this version of the crank - earlier ones, well, at least another of the same era anyway, lacked the milled spider and the flared spider arm ends a-la Campy Record. The flutes on the back of the arms add to the coolness. Nope, don't want to be responsible for mucking them up!

DD
Old 12-15-19, 06:15 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
I've moved away from two-bolt posts and prefer the modern single-bolt versions.
If I ever need to dispose of another single-bolt post, I'll be in touch.
Old 12-15-19, 12:56 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 960 Posts
Here's thepedals Iput on my Nishiki, the Kyokuto Pro Vic. These were a pick up from an Austro Daimler last summer.

Last edited by Mr. 66; 12-16-19 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-16-19, 04:13 PM
smoore

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
I admire you guys. I'm 70 and grew up with all the stuff you're working on. However, at this point I think I'll enjoy the search and assembly vicariously.
Likes For smoore:
Old 12-16-19, 04:35 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
If I ever need to dispose of another single-bolt post, I'll be in touch.
Yeah. The bolt access on the old Campy 2-bolt posts makes them a little annoying to adjust, but modern 2-bolt posts aren't really any harder to set up than single-bolt. Either way, I think the fine-tuned adjustability is a crucial feature: the large angular increments of 1-bolt posts usually prevent a good saddle fit from being achieved.
Old 12-16-19, 08:08 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh! I'm going crazy

I finally took off the Campy derailleurs and touched up the frame where the FD's clamp had allowed some rust to form. Cabled up the brakes, then installed the derailleurs and Campy 3-arm Gran Sport cranks. Swapped out the Concor Supercorsa for a Flite Titanium. All ready to go by Sunday afternoon, when it was supposed to be dry. Nope.

My camera isn't here yet, but I'm not too bothered about that. I'm tracking it and it's close, but this bike will see some more component changes over the next few weeks...so I will be getting pics up, even tho some of them will be obsolete soon enough. But I am bothered that I've not been able to get out for a good, hard ride on this new gear. I really want to give these brakes and derailleurs a proper go, you know? Fingers crossed for a dry tomorrow

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 12-16-19 at 08:11 PM.
Old 12-16-19, 09:35 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by merziac
No, you're reading right, I have both now and one to the other has never been difficult, 9/16's is easy, lots of pedals to get spindles from and with your drillium expertise, drilling straight, keeping the right angle, It should be fairly straight forward. They have always started ok for me, the trick is to keep the rethreader straight when it "catches" and digs into the existing threads, this is where taps can get you into trouble if they take too much bite and veer wrong. The rethreaders can push material around to make the correct path, you have to be diligent for sure but it goes fine if you are and don't force it the wrong way. I would also be happy to do it for you if you want to send them to me, it would be gratis for the greater good.
I did some consideratin' - check your PMs

DD
Old 12-17-19, 06:42 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

My "new" camera arrived at my building on Sunday but I didn't find out about it until today. And today was dry! So, ride and pictures were both on the agenda today.

Downtown Redmond:

I never knew this sculpture had a lighting feature:

I used to use Flites exclusively. Sold them all off bar one, and I decided to give it a go today. Pleasantly surprised at the comfort, so it may stay:

Superbe brakes worked well, good feel, but maybe a little more flexible than their Campy counterpart:

Beautifully-made Superbe caliper:

Drivetrain consists of Gran Sport crankset, Suntour Cyclone derailleurs and Barelli Supreme pedals with Sola toe clips:

Very, very clean crankset came from @shnibop:

This was the first pair of Barellis I bought last year. The black anodizing on these is pretty thin and not very durable, so it was mostly worn away from the top plates of the cage. Because I decided to have Van re-thread the in-the-mail Sugino crankarms for 9/16ths I decided to take these out of the box and put them back into use - after I stripped the anodizing late last night! When I was done I gave them a once-over with Softsoap and a wad of brass wool to give the cages a brushed look. While the original black/silver would've worked better with the overall theme, these look good, too.

Spanish toe clips:

Very clean front derailleur. I was a bit worried I was going to bottom out the clamp screw before the clamp was holding tightly to the seat tube, but all ended up well:

More to come...

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 12-17-19 at 06:46 PM.
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 12-17-19, 07:14 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Suntour Cyclone rear derailleur. I'd cleaned up a small scratched area at the upper pivot, but I see my Sharpie touch-up didn't hold up to handling the derailleur during installation. I'll add some Tamiya semi-gloss black acrylic paint to give it some more longevity:

Super-clean, both front and rear. Both worked well, and if I were to compare, the rear shifted a bit quicker since I didn't have to overshift that little bit as per normal with a Campy NR or SR. But really, not so's one would notice. It works well, as do both Campy units. Perfectly happy with the performance of all my drivetrains, this one included:

After over a year riding this bike with only a thin, matte clearcoat finish, there are some small rust blooms taking shape on the top of the BB shell and along the top/bottom of the chainstays, too. I like the look and hope it keeps going:

Light rust blooming on the fork legs, too. Campy hubs with curved track QR levers:

Yup, Campy shift levers moving Suntour derailleurs. Just like back in the day!

Another beautiful Superbe caliper graces the front of the bike:

Suntour calipers operated by Campy levers:

Now the light is red:

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 12-17-19, 08:03 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Shout out to jreeves for the Elph camera with which I shot these photos - thanks! Finally, a camera that works as it should with no glitches, at a very nice price

Also thanks to WGB for the derailleur set and shnibop for the crankset. In a weird twist, the camera, front and rear derailleur set and the crankset all cost the same amount of money, although they came from three different Forum-ites

For now, the bike is in it's definitive form until the Sugino Mighty crankset arrives and is re-threaded. I'll then swap the Barellis over to that crank, mount it and give it a whirl. I'll leave the Campy BB in - I don't think that will matter one way or the other. I only did a quick 25 miles to determine that everything is functional (the brakes squeal a bit, so I need to sandpaper the blocks a little tonight to start the quieting process...), and it is. I can't really say it's any more/less fun now than in its previous guise. I know the controversial bit will be the 3-arm crankset, and okay, it doesn't really "go with" the bike, but why not? In use, it's plenty stiff enough - I came out of the saddle for a few jumps and the drivetrain went immediately to work, no flex in the crank, just power to the rear wheel. It felt very sprightly in the 42/15 combo, just sprinting away from a dead stop. I could leave this setup as it is and be perfectly happy.

But I am hoping to hear back from another forum member who got in touch with me about long- and medium-cage Cyclone derailleurs. I've been thinking down the road about expanding this bike's gearing. He has derailleurs and a few freewheels that might just fit the bill.

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 12-17-19 at 08:20 PM.
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 12-17-19, 08:12 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,910 Times in 1,140 Posts
Drillium Dude,
I congratulate you on a great build. Similar to one I rode for three years before a fire disrupted my use of the bike. I would say that the Superbe brakes levers were identical to the Campy, so they should play well together. And in looking at the pics posted, I would ask you to put a dab of ink or paint on the right front fork stay at the tip of the space between the blade and the dropout. I am sure it is ok but just to be sure it doesn't fail down the road. Nice looking bike and I am sure it rides nicely. Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 12-17-19, 09:02 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Great build. I love the Gran Sport cranks but then again I have a thing for 3 pin cranks.
Likes For TenGrainBread:
Old 12-17-19, 09:09 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Btw, in case anyone else has concerns about what appears to be a crack in the fork at the dropout in the photo of the front hub: not a crack, but where the brass didn't quite make it to the surface. That crease is barely a millimeter deep and has been there forever, I've looked at it with 10x magnification and there's no cracking emanating from the crease, either. Just in case you were concerned

DD
Old 12-18-19, 03:18 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
Great build. I love the Gran Sport cranks but then again I have a thing for 3 pin cranks.
Me too

Old 12-18-19, 05:46 AM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
DD I am surprised that you say the Superbe Brakes are a little more flexy than their Campy counterparts. I have found just the opposite. The only Campy brakes I have found to be less flexy are the Record Ti series that I have on my Cinelli.
But then again they are dual pulls.
Old 12-18-19, 06:28 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Excellent photos and comments.

Right on about the differences between the Campy and Suntour changers. The differences between mine are too small for me to care, and both are gorgeous.

Sweet build so far. Can't wait to see the evolution.
Old 12-23-19, 01:38 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

I got the Nitto S-65 on Saturday and installed it Sunday. Hopefully riding tomorrow; the rain has stopped, just waiting for the stuff already on the ground to dry up.

A few pics. The post is absolutely beautiful with a nice satin finish on the shaft and very cleanly finished cradles on top. Hard to believe this was less than $50 shipped:

Saddle is very clean. So far it agrees with my posterior over 25 miles of pavement:

Such a shame to leave beautiful workmanship like this hidden away under a coat of paint!

DD
Old 12-23-19, 05:08 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Attention to detail.

You never let us down...

I got the Nitto S-65 on Saturday and installed it Sunday. Hopefully riding tomorrow; the rain has stopped, just waiting for the stuff already on the ground to dry up.

A few pics. The post is absolutely beautiful with a nice satin finish on the shaft and very cleanly finished cradles on top. Hard to believe this was less than $50 shipped:

Saddle is very clean. So far it agrees with my posterior over 25 miles of pavement:

Such a shame to leave beautiful workmanship like this hidden away under a coat of paint!

DD
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 12-23-19, 09:06 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Slowly but surely, the march of new parts continues:

These are about 1/4" longer than Campy's levers, and are a bit bulkier around the pivot as well, but don't they look cool? I found these the other day and fell instantly in love with that old school logo! I did a dab of distressing tonight with some decanted Tamiya spray and a small sponge. The lettering really pops now:

Does anybody else see a chain? That has to be deliberate

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 12-23-19, 09:12 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 760 Posts
Slowly but surely, the march of new parts continues:

These are about 1/4" longer than Campy's levers, and are a bit bulkier around the pivot as well, but don't they look cool? I found these the other day and fell instantly in love with that old school logo! I did a dab of distressing tonight with some decanted Tamiya spray and a small sponge. The lettering really pops now:

Does anybody else see a chain? That has to be deliberate

DD
I'm jealous. What does "distressing ... with some decanted Tamiya spray" mean? Sounds like some sort of cocktail.
Old 12-23-19, 09:20 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
I've never seen those shift levers before, and I like them very much. That lettering, and the detail around the edge are excellent. Is there a Cyclone or Superbe out there with lettering to match?
Likes For BFisher:
Old 12-23-19, 09:21 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by smontanaro
I'm jealous. What does "distressing ... with some decanted Tamiya spray" mean? Sounds like some sort of cocktail.
I normally personalize my bikes by painting in component features like fluting and engravings with a highlight color. In the case of the Casati, it's black. I build models in my other hobby and have a lot of Tamiya paints for that. I get a great consistency out of this paint from spraying some of it into a cup and letting it gas off for a couple minutes before using it with a paintbrush or toothpick. The gear levers in the pic used to be bare alloy; I added the black, then distressed it by rubbing some of the paint away with a bit of sponge during the drying process.

Similar treatment (though not distressed) on the Campy levers this Suntour pair will replace:

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 12-23-19, 09:28 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by BFisher
I've never seen those shift levers before, and I like them very much. That lettering, and the detail around the edge are excellent. Is there a Cyclone or Superbe out there with lettering to match?
Aren't they cool? There are a number of them on Ebay right now, in various stages of completeness. They seem to go pretty cheap - these were only $3! And yeah, the detail on them is what got me, too. They didn't come with any hardware, but I suspected that Campy nylon washers and such would fit and sure enough, they do. ID of the lever pivot is perfect for a Campy braze-on boss. I'll mount them with Campy hardware

Thanks again for the S-65 suggestion. It really looks the part; hopefully that clamp holds pretty tight!

DD

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.