Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Roller Bearing Headset adjustment

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-20, 05:56 PM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 407 Times in 219 Posts

Just about to get a bike on the road that has a Galli headset that I just discovered has roller bearings.
I like the idea of roller bearings, and have had one on another bike BUT
before I screw this one up, is there anything different about adjustment/tightness/etc. that I should keep in mind before I take it on the road?
Old 08-08-20, 06:09 PM
canopus 

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 111 Posts
They pretty much adjust the same. They can usually handle a little more preload than round bearings but I wouldn't put it in if not needed. There is nothing really different about them. I am not familiar with the Galli but on the Stronglights (aluminum & plastic versions) they had metal races (top & bottom of the bearing) that when left out would ruin the headset.
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics
Old 08-08-20, 07:03 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,375 Times in 1,580 Posts
I've been using the Stronglight Delta and A9 headsets for 30 years now, so I may have forgotten what is most surprising when first fiddling with this style of headset. Still, I'd say that the big difference is that there is more rotational drag with roller bearings. This can lead you to think the bearings are tight when they are still a hair loose. You'll want to rely more on the method of applying the front brake and rocking the bike fore and aft to look for play.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 08-08-20, 07:17 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
I remember them from decades ago. Adjust normally to as loose as it goes, but with no play at all. They'll feel subjectively a little tight. +1 to what steelbikeguy says. In addition, I'd do the bounce the front wheel on the floor trick. You'll hear and/or feel a bit of a rattle if it's loose. Sometimes the front brake trick will miss the final last bit of looseness.
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 08-09-20, 08:57 AM
Mr. Spadoni 

Thanks. Glad I asked. I was feeling a little bit more bind than I expected but am at the point that I am not getting any fork rocking so I think I am good to go.
Old 08-09-20, 10:32 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26419 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
...I can't add much. Just that they are similar in design to an automotive wheel bearing, thus require a slight pre-load in order to function as designed. Not certain if it is specified anywhere in the literature. I adjust them to where the wheel in the fork will just flop over under its own weight.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 08-09-20, 01:47 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
And probable that your Galli is either a rebranded Stronglight A-9 (all alloy) or B-10 (plastic cups) so exactly like a Stronglight!
But Galli DID have one unique model with rollers that's entirely different, has thicker rollers in metal cages at a more "upright" angle than the Stronglight resin cages with smaller rollers.
Here's a link to that rare bird from velobase: VeloBase.com - Component: Galli (tapered roller bearing, cuscinetto di rulli conici)
Old 08-09-20, 01:56 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,375 Times in 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
And probable that your Galli is either a rebranded Stronglight A-9 (all alloy) or B-10 (plastic cups) so exactly like a Stronglight!
But Galli DID have one unique model with rollers that's entirely different, has thicker rollers in metal cages at a more "upright" angle than the Stronglight resin cages with smaller rollers.
Here's a link to that rare bird from velobase: VeloBase.com - Component: Galli (tapered roller bearing, cuscinetto di rulli conici)
I was just poking through an old Bike Warehouse catalog and saw that they sold that headset. The illustration leaves a bit to be desired, but the angle of the bearing really looks better suited to an axle bearing than something like a headset that is carrying a thrust load.

Steve in Peoria
Old 08-09-20, 04:05 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
The tapered roller bearing unit has less inherent friction than the Stronglight cylindrical roller bearing units since there is no sliding contact on the tapered rollers. IMO, the slight drag of sliding contact with the Stronglight units is not a concern, since headsets are not in constant rotation in use. The tapered roller bearings are also much fussier about frame prep than the Stronglight units with their floating races.
Old 08-09-20, 04:36 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
I was just poking through an old Bike Warehouse catalog and saw that they sold that headset. The illustration leaves a bit to be desired, but the angle of the bearing really looks better suited to an axle bearing than something like a headset that is carrying a thrust load.
I suspect Galli used a standard bearing for that headset. A less acute angle would have required far more taper on the rollers to eliminate the sliding contact as the bearing rotates. The Stronglight is probably more suited for thrust loads, but does have more inherent friction than the tapered rollers.
Old 08-09-20, 07:55 PM
Mr. Spadoni 

Well now I am going to have to open it up to see which type it us. Stay tuned. It’s going to be a few days.
Old 08-15-20, 05:01 PM
Mr. Spadoni 

Turns out I do have the Galli as pictured in the ad. As a I do have the SL on another bike, the internal difference is obvious. Might have to drop out the spacer. Locknut is only engaging on about three threads with spacer in place and it is all alloy. Genuflecting towards the nearest aluminum smelter now.....
Old 03-15-21, 12:24 PM
Tedbaz
Steel rider

Bikes: 83 RedK; 84 DeRosa; 95 Trek 750; 89 Univega Grantech; 78 Peter Mooney; 81 Schwinn SuperSport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 5 Posts
I just discovered an old frame with a Galli tapered roller set. What a sweet find! It is rock solid tho as mentioned, the preload could feel like it’s too tight.
Old 03-15-21, 02:26 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
I suspect Galli used a standard bearing for that headset. A less acute angle would have required far more taper on the rollers to eliminate the sliding contact as the bearing rotates. The Stronglight is probably more suited for thrust loads, but does have more inherent friction than the tapered rollers.
I’d imagine that with the rollers standing up straighter, the overall headset stack dimension is larger.