Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Is there a cut off time where you won't bike home?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Is there a cut off time where you won't bike home?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-20, 10:46 AM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
No temperature or time limits. I find rush hour rather pleasant riding, as cars then are either immobile or at walking speed for much of my route.
Old 12-28-20, 01:53 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
In the Before Times, when I had a commute, I had no problem riding to work in the winter dark, 6:30ish. It was quiet, except for the panicking ducks when I rode through the marsh, not much traffic on the four miles of highway between trail ends, and watching the sky getting lighter with approaching dawn over the hills to the east and reflecting on Humboldt Bay was gorgeous. Despite the cold, it's a beautiful ride. Going home around sunset sucked rocks; much more traffic and seven highway exits.

My cutoff time appears to be full dark; I once attended a meeting after work, and could have ridden home, but frankly I didn't and don't trust drivers in the dark, so I took the bus. Especially as, going home, I have to cross the highway to get to the trail (until 2022), and I much prefer being able to see them coming.
Old 12-29-20, 05:05 PM
nel e nel

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Hardrock Disc; 199? Royce Union freestyle bike; 2021 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 11 Posts
Having shifted to work from home during COVID, my commutes have now morphed into fitness rides. I often will get up and out of the house at 5 or 6am before anyone else gets up and I love it. Streets and MUPs are empty compared to my regular commute hour/daytime rides, and seeing the sunrise on the way home is always a treat.

As others have said, just use good lights. Thankfully I’m in a city with adequate street lights so my headlights are more to alert other folks on the road to my presence.
Old 12-30-20, 10:20 AM
burritos

Bikes: 2021 Polygon Siskiu D7, 2008 Lemond Tourmalet

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 56 Posts
Gonna do my first 8PM bike home tonight. Charging my lights as we speak. I'm looking forward to it.
Likes For burritos:
Old 01-02-21, 03:23 PM
notthe1freeman
Bike Bum Extrordinare

Bikes: 1990s specialized hard rock ultra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
I love late night rides myself...no self induced curfew here
Old 01-03-21, 06:43 AM
stoogehand

Bikes: Giant OCR1, Kilo WT, Trek 2200 Carbon, Supergo Access Comp SL

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by burritos
Shift usually ends at 5 for me. Still biking home, but it's dark when I get home nowadays so I guess I'm not afraid of the dark. Once a week, my shift ends at 8 pm. I drive cause I'd like to get home a little bit sooner to spend with family. If I drive, it takes me 20 min, but 45 min if I bike. But now I'm thinking, what's 25 minutes? They're on the computer with their friends anyways. I'm sure there are many who would bike home even if it's 2 AM. But I am curious to see what this bike commuting cohort does.
I bike to work for much of the same reason: It is 15 minutes to drive, and 25 to bike. So an extra 20 minutes each day to get the blood pumping? It's economical, among other things

Others mentioned good lights for the dark, and I agree it's a must. Cygolite Metro up front, Varia in the back. I haven't had the Varia for very long but I got used to it very quickly. Anyway, I see fewer cars when it is dark than during daylight rush hour. And the contrast from the lights at night make me impossible to ignore. Motorists tend to give me a wider berth when there is less traffic and I am conspicuously visible.
Old 01-08-21, 10:23 AM
redmandarin

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Not really because I have good lights and live in the city - later at night does tend to be safer imho than cramming through rush hour traffic.
Old 01-14-21, 11:37 AM
RoadKill

Bikes: Specialized AWOL, Specialized Roubaix, Niner Air9, Turner Sultan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
No real specific cut off time for me but my cutoff is related to sunrise/sunset. Most of the Phoenix area is a nearly perfect N/S/E/W grid and there is a good amount of time where the sun can be rising or setting directly in line with the road. When this happens it can be a bunch of miles straight in to the very low sun if I time it wrong, I'm not confident that people with nasty dirty windshields will have any chance of seeing me in this situation. I make sure to leave home/work at a time when I won't be doing that, I'm good with daytime or dark.
Likes For RoadKill:
Old 01-23-21, 09:32 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
This time of year my commute is dark morning and evening. As others have mentioned, traffic is lighter an hour or two after rush hour, and i like riding at night anyway, so no big deal. Good dynamo lighting ftw, reflective gear, especially ankle bands, i feel visible and safe, though I do choose my route carefully.
Old 01-23-21, 09:58 AM
burritos

Originally Posted by rhm
This time of year my commute is dark morning and evening. As others have mentioned, traffic is lighter an hour or two after rush hour, and i like riding at night anyway, so no big deal. Good dynamo lighting ftw, reflective gear, especially ankle bands, i feel visible and safe, though I do choose my route carefully.
Ankle bands? What are those. Guess I'm going to have to google it. I have a front light. A tail red light. Then I hang a blinking white light on my backpack. And I wear a bright neon yellow windbreaker. I've been really enjoying the night rides. Traffic does seem to be 75% less than commute time.
Old 01-23-21, 10:32 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by burritos
Ankle bands? What are those. ...
Oh, yeah, just a simple piece of reflective tape sewed to a strip of cloth with some velcro...

The ones Jandd makes are especially good, see link below.

Good for keeping your trouser cuffs out of the chain (if you ride in trousers), but important because they're reflective. The way they move, with the motion of pedaling, makes it very clear to all observers that what they're seeing is a bicycle. Other lights, especially helmet lights, move less predictably and drivers have more trouble understanding them.

https://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRO...rap-reflective
Old 01-23-21, 11:44 AM
burritos

Originally Posted by rhm
Oh, yeah, just a simple piece of reflective tape sewed to a strip of cloth with some velcro...

The ones Jandd makes are especially good, see link below.

Good for keeping your trouser cuffs out of the chain (if you ride in trousers), but important because they're reflective. The way they move, with the motion of pedaling, makes it very clear to all observers that what they're seeing is a bicycle. Other lights, especially helmet lights, move less predictably and drivers have more trouble understanding them.

https://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRO...rap-reflective
Thank you! Just submitted an order for 2 pair. I get a little lazy about swapping out of my work pants to my biking pants and I was just thinking about how the straps can serve a dual purpose. Can't wait for traffic to get a load of my new swag.