Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Disks not ready

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Disks not ready

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-21, 07:37 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Why do Pro teams that have the money not even bother to change wheels now, and just change bikes.
Which do you think is faster?
Old 02-11-21, 07:41 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe

Even in the races that offer neutral support, the time to remove and install a wheel is minor compared to the time it takes to actually get the wheel.

Then you’re not doing it right. Ride your flatted tubular until there’s a lull, signal the wheel truck that you need a wheel, and you can be changed and chasing back on quickly. 15 second delay getting the disc to set in correctly when you’re panicked and rushing and or getting the thru axle to start threading can be the difference in a dnf and winning the race.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 02-11-21, 07:43 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Originally Posted by noodle soup
Which do you think is faster?

With a disc wheel thru axle setup it’s totally faster to swap a whole bike. Hence Pro teams that can carry a backup bike set up for their Gc guys do that. They didn’t feel the need with Qr because it was as fast as a bike swap. My whole friggin point is we amateurs play in a world without those resources, and our equipment choices should be be made accordingly.
Old 02-11-21, 07:44 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
Then you’re not doing it right. Ride your flatted tubular until there’s a lull, signal the wheel truck that you need a wheel, and you can be changed and chasing back on quickly. 15 second delay getting the disc to set in correctly when you’re panicked and rushing and or getting the thru axle to start threading can be the difference in a dnf and winning the race.
I, like the majority of amateur racers, do not use tubulars.
Old 02-11-21, 07:48 PM
noodle soup

With a disc wheel thru axle setup it’s totally faster to swap a whole bike. Hence Pro teams that can carry a backup bike set up for their Gc guys do that. They didn’t feel the need with Qr because it was as fast as a bike swap. My whole friggin point is we amateurs p,any in a world without those resources, and our equipment choices should be be made accordingly.
A bike swap is faster than a wheel swap, with rim or disc brakes.

How many times have you lost a race by a few seconds, due to a flat?
Old 02-11-21, 07:49 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

My whole point in this thread is that the Pros play by different rules, and have different resources. Thus Pros racing disc brake bicycles doesn’t mean that we amateurs should do so as well.

Last edited by StanSeven; 02-13-21 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Quotes deleted post
Old 02-11-21, 07:54 PM
noodle soup

Are you being purposefully obtuse?

My whole point in this thread is that the Pros play by different rules, and have different resources. Thus Pros racing disc brake bicycles doesn’t mean that we amateurs should do so as well.
I'm once again pointing out that we aren't "pros" , and that what works for them, is often irrelevant to the rest of us.

I couldn't possibly care less about Froome's opinion. We don't ride together.
Old 02-11-21, 07:57 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

I’m out. I grant that I’m arguing against a rising tide. Discs are the future and my point is largely consigned to history. Nonetheless, none of you have actually contradicted anything I’ve said. I think your need to validate your choices, or just win an argument has limited your ability to consider what I’ve actually said. Building straw men up, and tearing them down doesn’t change my point.

so whether UCI regs accelerated the switch to discs or not ultimately is at best an historical footnote. Sorry all of you were too close minded to even hear or consider what I said.
Old 02-11-21, 08:05 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts

I couldn't possibly care less about Froome's opinion. We don't ride together.
This is the correct answer. Truthfully I don’t care what anybody rides disc or rim.
Likes For colnago62:
Old 02-11-21, 08:07 PM
tomato coupe

How many times have you lost a race by a few seconds, due to a flat?
Apparently, it's worse than that. A few seconds is the difference between winning a race and a DNF.

Last edited by tomato coupe; 02-11-21 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-11-21, 08:31 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Apparently, it's worse than that. A few seconds is the difference between winning a race and a DNF.
I'm curious. What post did you make that got me hot and bothered?

(edit) It's Saul Goodman.
Old 02-11-21, 08:33 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
Another disc vs rim brake thread.

Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-11-21, 09:42 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
And now dude is sending angsty PMs?
Old 02-11-21, 09:46 PM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Another disc vs rim brake thread.

And I thought faculty members were able to rehash and continue pointless arguments with little hope for resolution. This is impressive.

A colleague of mine likes to paraphrase Kissinger who said something to the effect that faculty disputes are so intense because the stakes are so often so low. I've thought about that in reading this thread.
Old 02-11-21, 09:50 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
Originally Posted by ericcox
And I thought faculty members were able to rehash and continue pointless arguments with little hope for resolution. This is impressive.

A colleague of mine likes to paraphrase Kissinger who said something to the effect that faculty disputes are so intense because the stakes are so often so low. I've thought about that in reading this thread.
Cycling is my escape from that nonsense. Isn't it yours, too? 😊

Last edited by Koyote; 02-12-21 at 06:44 AM.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-11-21, 09:53 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by WhyFi
And now dude is sending angsty PMs?
I thought I was special because I got one.
Old 02-11-21, 10:07 PM
Dean V

Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Chris Froome is a professional. I am not. Our limits and requirements are different. I am not advocating for disc or rim. I have both. It's not a big deal for me as a recreational rider.
This first reply to the OP is all that needed to be said.
The next 6 pages is typical BF ranting.
Likes For Dean V:
Old 02-11-21, 10:42 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Dean V
This first reply to the OP is all that needed to be said.
The next 6 pages is typical BF ranting.
And your point is........?
Old 02-11-21, 10:52 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Couldn't care less what Froomie thinks about disc brakes. I like 'em!
Likes For one4smoke:
Old 02-11-21, 11:41 PM
Dean V

Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
And your point is........?
Just an observation that the forum is running true to form
Old 02-12-21, 06:55 AM
Greatestalltime

Bikes: Tcr advanced sl & Protos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
One thing I've wondered, watching the TDF and the Giro last year is if the brakes don't increase the crash rate when descending and braking through corners. Bike tires don't really have that much contact with the road for the speeds and the cornering limits that racers hit. Toss in faster stopping and it would seem to make questionable situations sketchier and increase the chances of breaking traction and crashing.

I installed hydro disc on both my kids' bikes so they could stop better, custom ordered my cross with disc and made sure the new gravel frame only used disc. Don't own a single carbon rim and don't plan to, I just like consistent, reliable stopping in any conditions. I'm better that's true for a lot of people.

I installed new discs today, took me 20 min each between screaming kids to cut the lines, route them through the frame, bleed them and set the calipers. Probably close to twice the time road rim brakes would take but pad replacement on the discs is much faster. I push a screw driver between the old pads to compress the piston, pull off the cotter pin, undo the screw that holds them in, slide out the old, slide in the new, reinstall screw and pin, install wheel and squeeze the lever. Sounds like more work but calipers require aligning the pads, toeing them in, releasing the previously taken up cable with the barrel adjuster or the fixing bolt, recentering the caliper and adjusting the cable to the new pads. If the pads have spacers, conical washers or in the case of V-brakes lots of both, it gets tedious not dropping those putting the pad fixing bolt in place. Cantis can be the worst with the straddle cable and getting the pads the same settings on both sides. Considering discs can go years with no trouble, I like them.

I'm a little beyond chubby and will really push the braking on my bike in the woods, fade has yet to be an issue.

What is a lot contact point? Not certain I've seen this one. As I mentioned above, with hydraulics centering and bleeding is quick and easy. Centering with cable disc can be annoying, but a properly set up thru axle bike really doesn't have disc issues in my experience.
Here’s another opinion. Seems pretty smart. What do you think?
Old 02-12-21, 07:35 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Greatestalltime
Here’s another opinion. Seems pretty smart. What do you think?
https://youtu.be/aJK_d6onNjo
This video was previously discussed. It's not smart.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-13-21, 03:06 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
On the weight thing, just thought I'd look, but I don't know if I'm comparing apples to apples?
I see a 2015 Emonda SLR H2 frameset here https://archive.trekbikes.com/uk/en/...ameset/details shows a weight of 690g.
I see the 2021 Emonda Rim frameset here https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...olorCode=black shows a weight of 1,170g.

Yes, I'm comparing two rim brake frames. How much of the closing of the weight gap of discs vs rim bikes is because the manufacturers might be unnecessarily making their rim braked bikes heavier than they could otherwise be? (minimizing mold/design changes vs. their disc counterparts?).
Old 02-13-21, 03:10 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
On the weight thing, just thought I'd look, but I don't know if I'm comparing apples to apples?
I see a 2015 Emonda SLR H2 frameset here https://archive.trekbikes.com/uk/en/...ameset/details shows a weight of 690g.
I see the 2021 Emonda Rim frameset here https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...olorCode=black shows a weight of 1,170g.

Yes, I'm comparing two rim brake frames. How much of the closing of the weight gap of discs vs rim bikes is because the manufacturers might be unnecessarily making their rim braked bikes heavier than they could otherwise be? (minimizing mold/design changes vs. their disc counterparts?).
Not a chance in hell that the 2015 weight is including the fork and the 2021 model undoubtedly does.
Old 02-13-21, 03:36 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Sy Reene

You're suggesting TREK increased the weight of the Emonda rim brake frame by 70% so that the disc brake version doesn't look so bad? That's inane.
Likes For tomato coupe:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.