Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Modern brakes for vintage MTB

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 02-17-21, 10:40 AM
1979andy1979

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi there everyone. I'm trying to build up an old Specialized Hardrock steel frame circa 1995, I am doing this to learn new skills and give me a project to do.

I have some old brakes - Shimano BR 454, but I would like to use modern versions. Can anyone suggest a suitable replacement that will work with 26inch wheels please?

Many thanks
Andy
Old 02-17-21, 12:29 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by 1979andy1979
Hi there everyone. I'm trying to build up an old Specialized Hardrock steel frame circa 1995, I am doing this to learn new skills and give me a project to do.

I have some old brakes - Shimano BR 454, but I would like to use modern versions. Can anyone suggest a suitable replacement that will work with 26inch wheels please?

Many thanks
Andy
If those are cantilevers, check out V brakes, which will fit on the same mounts. Also check out compressionless brake cable housings. Those two things, plus good pads will greatly improve braking.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 02-17-21, 01:13 PM
1979andy1979

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Excellent - thanks.

If I wanted to stick with cantilever style brakes - would something like the modern Tektro CR720 be any good?
Old 02-17-21, 01:25 PM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
If you haven't found it yet, you might enjoy the Classic & Vintage forum and three of my favorite threads there about older mountain bikes:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ain-bikes.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...nversions.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...nversions.html
Old 02-17-21, 01:58 PM
1979andy1979

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ah excellent - thank you
Old 02-17-21, 02:24 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,190 Times in 2,351 Posts
Excellent - thanks.

If I wanted to stick with cantilever style brakes - would something like the modern Tektro CR720 be any good?
They should be okay. Probably better than the Exage level OEM brakes. A really good...but really expensive...alternative are Paul Cantilevers . They are expensive (try looking on Fleabay) but they are about the best cantilever I’ve ever used.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 02-17-21, 02:55 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,377 Times in 2,729 Posts
The CR720 also use road type cartridge pads which is a plus, IMO.
Old 02-17-21, 03:30 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 3,379 Times in 2,044 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
If those are cantilevers, check out V brakes, which will fit on the same mounts. Also check out compressionless brake cable housings. Those two things, plus good pads will greatly improve braking.
If updating to V brakes, V brake pull more cable than cantis. Some brake levers have switchable V/canti positions such as these as well as certain Shimano.

https://www.tektro.com/products.php?p=70

https://bike.shimano.com/en-NZ/product/component/ultegra-6800/BL-R780.html

Last edited by dedhed; 02-17-21 at 07:00 PM.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 02-17-21, 03:33 PM
1979andy1979

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is all great advice, thank you all so much.
Old 02-17-21, 04:01 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
If you want better braking at minimal investment. Get good shoes and good pads and make sure they are separate. If the name has Stop in it, it is probably good (like SwissStop or KoolStop). Shoes should be nice and stiff to provide best braking. Also invest in really good compressionless housing. I am a fan of the Jagwire Elite Link kits (which is light and can be nicely bling but also is super slick and smooth and the beads are reusable (so costs less just replacing a cheaper liner and cables rather than a full housing) but the Jagwire Pro is also just fine and uses a more standard housing. The kits come with just about everything you would need in most cases (and sometimes you will have extra stuff for the next project) Avoid coated cables as those can come off and get gummed up in the works. Also always avoid galvanized cables just get slick stainless uncoated cables and you are good as gold.

If you want a sublime experience Paul Cantis or his MotoLite brakes are simply the best of the best of the best. It is all made in America and is really high quality. His levers either the Love or Canti (depending on cable pull) are also really nice with sealed cartridge bearings for a smooth actuation and they feel nice in the hands as well. If you are looking for a cheaper alternative to his levers Avid Speed Dial 7s are quite nice.

If you have really good super tough rims in good shape you could get Magura hydraulic linear pull brakes, affectionately known as rim crushers. Those had some popularity in the 90s before disc brakes became the norm. Magura still makes them and they were popular on a lot of euro e-bikes and I think still in use for some Trials riders.

Unless your old brakes are really worn out I probably wouldn't switch to Tektro but they aren't terrible brakes and could have some features that provide useful for modernization. However at that point I would go to linear pull brakes. They are much easier to set up and less fiddly than cantilevers which a lot of folks do not care for. Again yes different cable pull so get the right lever for that brake.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-17-21, 04:30 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
The old style centre pull cantilever brakes as found on mountain bikes until the mid 90s have a design flaw - the mechanical advantage of pulling on the middle of the straddle cable goes down (less power) as the straddle cable goes up.
V brakes (linear pull) were a step up over even the best cantilever brakes. They must be used with V-brake compatible (long pull) levers, though. V brakes with canti (short pull) levers feel like garbage and are difficult to keep from rubbing.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 02-17-21, 05:04 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Avid SD Mag v-brakes paired with Avid Speed Dial levers are great if you can find them. I had them on one of my mtb's until I converted to discs.
Old 02-18-21, 03:18 AM
1979andy1979

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by veganbikes
If you want better braking at minimal investment. Get good shoes and good pads and make sure they are separate. If the name has Stop in it, it is probably good (like SwissStop or KoolStop). Shoes should be nice and stiff to provide best braking. Also invest in really good compressionless housing. I am a fan of the Jagwire Elite Link kits (which is light and can be nicely bling but also is super slick and smooth and the beads are reusable (so costs less just replacing a cheaper liner and cables rather than a full housing) but the Jagwire Pro is also just fine and uses a more standard housing. The kits come with just about everything you would need in most cases (and sometimes you will have extra stuff for the next project) Avoid coated cables as those can come off and get gummed up in the works. Also always avoid galvanized cables just get slick stainless uncoated cables and you are good as gold.

If you want a sublime experience Paul Cantis or his MotoLite brakes are simply the best of the best of the best. It is all made in America and is really high quality. His levers either the Love or Canti (depending on cable pull) are also really nice with sealed cartridge bearings for a smooth actuation and they feel nice in the hands as well. If you are looking for a cheaper alternative to his levers Avid Speed Dial 7s are quite nice.

If you have really good super tough rims in good shape you could get Magura hydraulic linear pull brakes, affectionately known as rim crushers. Those had some popularity in the 90s before disc brakes became the norm. Magura still makes them and they were popular on a lot of euro e-bikes and I think still in use for some Trials riders.

Unless your old brakes are really worn out I probably wouldn't switch to Tektro but they aren't terrible brakes and could have some features that provide useful for modernization. However at that point I would go to linear pull brakes. They are much easier to set up and less fiddly than cantilevers which a lot of folks do not care for. Again yes different cable pull so get the right lever for that brake.
Thank you for going to so much effort to help me
Likes For 1979andy1979:
Old 02-18-21, 03:55 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Try koolstop salmons first if you're still unimpressed with the performance then rethink your brakes.

Visit sheldon brown for advise on setting up cantilever brakes
Old 02-18-21, 09:43 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Excellent - thanks.

Go old-school: Control Tech 'Jimi' Canti's.
Because billet.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Contro...-/133512216442
Old 02-18-21, 10:33 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3124 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 1,024 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
Go old-school: Control Tech 'Jimi' Canti's.
Because billet.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Contro...-/133512216442
OMG, I had some of those back in the day!
Old 02-18-21, 03:43 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts

Many thanks
Andy

i use these. like jewelry. work ok.
Likes For thehammerdog:
Old 02-18-21, 10:24 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
Thank you for going to so much effort to help me
No worries. I love spreading this knowledge, I want more people to know so they can improve their riding. People live with stuff because they think you really need to spend a ton to upgrade or maybe a small upgrade couldn't make that much of a difference when it really can. Also you can make big upgrades and love them and improve your bike so much and make you stare at it and give you the Homer Simpson donut face.

Bikes are awesome and making them better is ever awesomer.
Old 02-18-21, 10:53 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
My two cents:

1) Any cantilever brake, new or old and including the direct-pull or V-brake, will be fine if properly installed and maintained.

2) If you already have good, older, standard levers, they won’t work with direct-pull cantilevers, so you’d want to stick with some standard cantis unless you are willing to buy direct pull levers.

3) The overall mechanical advantage of the system is what matters, not that of any one part. Levers and brake arms both contribute. V-brake arms have about twice the advantage of standard cantilevers, but standard levers have almost twice the advantage of v-brake levers. The overall figure is the product, so the factors roughly offset and both standard and direct pull cantilevers have reasonable values of overall mechanical advantage.

4) There are still at least two good reasons to prefer direct pull brakes: there is zero risk of a main cable failure causing a straddle cable to fall onto the front tire and lock up the wheel (nothing good comes from that) and they are a bit simpler to install.

Otto
Old 02-19-21, 02:07 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 399 Posts
I upgraded to Shimano XTR BR-M970 V brakes and levers. You can find them used for a decent price (sometimes new, if you look around hard enough). They look good, require a much lighter touch that cantilever brakes, and their design gives you excellent modulation.
Likes For 50PlusCycling: