Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for lightweight, steel road bikes

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Suggestions for lightweight, steel road bikes

Old 02-17-21, 03:32 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8254 Post(s)
Liked 8,962 Times in 4,447 Posts
Waterford/Gunnar make a fine product.
Likes For big john:
Old 02-17-21, 05:22 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3124 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 1,025 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
I paid $5000 plus for this frame and and it has been one of my biggest regrets. While waiting for this to be built I purchased a Trek Domane and it rides like a dream. I built this steel frame up, rode it for 26 miles and knew it wasn't for me. I have been trying to off load it but the best offer I have gotten is $680. (American dollars). Even during a pandemic I can't give this away. Not saying steel bikes are bad, just pick the right builder if you go custom.

Dude, did you really?? What compelled you to pay so much from a cat with no real experience or history? I mean, it’s got some artsy little moves, but is basically old fashioned, which Iget aesthetically, but I don’t get paying a premium for, especially a sent the bonafides of an acclaimed builder. The post mount brake bosses are pretty, but +$5k? Wow. Sorry it didn’t work out, but as you know, you gotta play big to win big!
Old 02-17-21, 05:27 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,944 Times in 2,637 Posts
I paid $5000 plus for this frame and and it has been one of my biggest regrets. While waiting for this to be built I purchased a Trek Domane and it rides like a dream. I built this steel frame up, rode it for 26 miles and knew it wasn't for me. I have been trying to off load it but the best offer I have gotten is $680. (American dollars). Even during a pandemic I can't give this away. Not saying steel bikes are bad, just pick the right builder if you go custom.

Eric does some fine work. What is the geo chart for the bike. I cannot spend 5k but could plunk down a little more than $680. Shame you didn't like it, I wonder what happened in the process where you didn't get what you wanted?
Old 02-17-21, 05:48 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3124 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 1,025 Posts
Get that bike, Clark! It’d be sweet to have in the stable!
Old 02-17-21, 06:13 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Some of us would be thrilled to own a 6-year-old Ritchey Logic bike as the "ONE bike." If the only problem with it is that you'd prefer not to be leaning over so far, consider buying a new stem that brings the bars up higher.
Mine sure is the "ONE bike." It is my go-to bike if I have any question on what which one to use, and it never fails to put a smile on my face.

I use a 6º stem on mine and the bars are about 1/2" lower than the saddle with 20mm of spacers. I still have space to put in 10mm more spacers if needed.

Likes For RGMN:
Old 02-18-21, 07:13 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
Isnt it interesting that when you can have anything you want, you cant attain it. Conversely when you have no means you covet the most basic of things.
Likes For big chainring:
Old 02-18-21, 07:52 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2468 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,671 Posts

I wonder what the folk in the Framebuilders part of Bike Forums would have to say about the disk brake mounts, particularly the fork mounts, given the pictures I've seen of such bikes where mounts were added to similarly slender steel forks, resulting in fork failures and crashes.
Old 02-18-21, 10:19 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
My Speedvagen, roughly a 52cm, built up by me when they still sold only framesets comes in at 16lbs 4oz including pedals and cages. I think that’s pretty good and I didn’t really do anything that would be real weight weenie-esque. The carbon seat tube is said to shave a few grams. Standard would be a steel seat tube.

no chance in heck that you could come in at that price point but you might want to look at their ready made disc’s. Stunning bikes where while not fully custom, still maintain all the traits of a custom Speedvagen and include having the seat tube cut to your proper measurements. I believe their disc bikes come in well below 18lbs and have the clearance you seem to be looking for.
Old 02-18-21, 10:27 AM
kansukee

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 27 Posts
I have always thought that for my first custom steel bike I'll go with Mike Terraferma in Miami. I met him once and he does great work out of his garage.
Old 02-18-21, 11:24 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 702 Posts
Originally Posted by robbyville
My Speedvagen, roughly a 52cm, built up by me when they still sold only framesets comes in at 16lbs 4oz including pedals and cages.
Holy crap that's impressively low even for a small frame. What wheels are you using on that bike?

Also, is that with a steel or carbon fork?
Old 02-18-21, 12:03 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
I wonder what the folk in the Framebuilders part of Bike Forums would have to say about the disk brake mounts, particularly the fork mounts, given the pictures I've seen of such bikes where mounts were added to similarly slender steel forks, resulting in fork failures and crashes.
I would hope the tubing on the left fork blade is thicker to offset the braking forces. Its what Black Mountain did for their road and gravel frames and what ive read other builders do. Same overall tube diameter, but thicker and less resistant to the leverage that is created when braking.

fork blades below are the same outside diameter, but the left blade is thicker tubing.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 02-18-21, 11:19 PM
RockiesDad

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Fairlight Strael 2.0

- Sizing is available in a wide range that allows for 2 different fits(endurance or race, to make it simple).
- You can fit a 32mm tire.
- The frame is a mix of shaped 853 main tubes and 631 plus 725 stays. Main triangle has 7/5/7 and 7/4/7 butting. 631 chainstays are 8/6 butted. 725 heat treated seat stays are 14mm .6 and not tapered.
- 105 hydraulic build is $2700usd and an Ultegra hydraulic build is $3225usd. The frame, fork, headset, and thru axles are $1500.
- Frame geometry is built for spirited riding. 418mm chainstays and heat tube as well as seat tube angles that are more traditional(vs trendy relaxed hta).
- Frames are built in Europe with a mix of clean tig welding on the main triangle and brass brazed rear triangle plus brazeons.
- Ports for di2 or hub generated lighting. External cables for easy setup and maintenance.
https://fairlightcycles.com/product/deposit/?v=79cba1185463
https://fairlightcycles.com/strael-c...v=79cba1185463

Fairlight's frames are ISO tested, so just like all production frames they will not be as light as custom builders who don't have ISO tested frames. But based on tube selection, this frame will be among the lightest production frames you can find. A 56 frame was designed to weight 1900g. You can email them and ask for size specific weight- they were very willing to talk with me about design decisions and details when I bought a Secan gravel frame from them.

The only downside is lead time since they do production batches. But it may not be any longer than some custom builders.

Look at the lookbook pdf for build options and frame details.
Mine came in around 21lbs or so with GRX 800-2X and Hunt wheels. Got it right around when Covid hit. Shipping from London to CA was only three days! Nice bike and great value...

Likes For RockiesDad:
Old 02-20-21, 09:28 PM
robbyville

Originally Posted by Bob Ross
Holy crap that's impressively low even for a small frame. What wheels are you using on that bike?

Also, is that with a steel or carbon fork?
carbon fork from enve, the wheels are Light Bicycle 46mm deep rims laced to industry nine torch hubs. Not super light, if I remember right around 1450gm for the set
Likes For robbyville:
Old 02-21-21, 10:45 AM
czero8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You might probably haven't heard of Ave Maldea from the Philippines, he makes high quality Hi-ten steel to Columbus tubing steel frames.
Likes For czero8:
Old 02-22-21, 10:29 AM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Do a search for British steel bikes. Condor makes the Fratello (https://road.cc/content/review/condo...rameset-277287) and Mason makes the Resolution (https://masoncycles.cc/products/resolution-frameset) There are others too.

The Resolution has my attention now. Thank you for posting the link as I'm somewhat in the same boat as the OP in wanting to build up a steel frameset. For me personally, this would be my first steel build/bike.
Old 02-22-21, 11:16 AM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by primov8
The Resolution has my attention now. Thank you for posting the link as I'm somewhat in the same boat as the OP in wanting to build up a steel frameset. For me personally, this would be my first steel build/bike.
I only have one ride on mine (finished build in late December in Chicago), but it was considerably less “noodly” than the vintage steel bikes I’ve previously owned. It responded nicely to out-of-the-saddle climbing efforts.

The ride feels buttery smooth, but I’m unsure how much of that is due to the frame, carbon bars/seatpost, or 32mm tubeless tires.

Likes For HarborBandS:
Old 02-22-21, 04:54 PM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
@HarborBandS, that Resolution is a great looking build.
Likes For primov8:
Old 02-24-21, 08:41 AM
robbyville

Originally Posted by HarborBandS
I only have one ride on mine (finished build in late December in Chicago), but it was considerably less “noodly” than the vintage steel bikes I’ve previously owned. It responded nicely to out-of-the-saddle climbing efforts.

The ride feels buttery smooth, but I’m unsure how much of that is due to the frame, carbon bars/seatpost, or 32mm tubeless tires.

That is a lovely, lovely bike. Enjoy!
Likes For robbyville:
Old 02-24-21, 09:24 AM
Parkyy16

Bikes: All steel... Breadwinner, Ritchey, Soma, VO, etc.

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by HarborBandS

Off topic, but how are you liking those WTB exposures? I've been trying to find a 30mm ish road tire that rides well and with a bit of puncture resistant, and with tan walls. Stuck between the WTB and Teravail, and a handful of others.
Old 02-24-21, 10:32 AM
jceastbay

Bikes: 1984 Ritchey converted for touring; 1995 Waterford

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As many have said, Waterford and Gunnar are good options. Buy a used bike or frame and upgrade -- I got a great Waterford for $800 used and have been upgrading components. Or consider a Rivendell.
Old 02-24-21, 03:07 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by Parkyy16
Off topic, but how are you liking those WTB exposures? I've been trying to find a 30mm ish road tire that rides well and with a bit of puncture resistant, and with tan walls. Stuck between the WTB and Teravail, and a handful of others.
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...-sidewall.html

I started this a few months ago in search of basically the same thing.

I am pretty sure the tires on that Mason are WTB Expanse which is a 32mm tire with some obligatory tread on the edge near the wall.
The WTB Exposure is then a 30mm tire.

Based on everything Ive read, neither has a lick of puncture technology. No barrier, not even just under the tread. WTB sidewalls are notoriously leaky like a pasta strainer, but if you ride with tubes that eliminates the sidewall leaking concern. WTB recently introduced 'SG2' which is a tire option that doesnt have leaky sidewalls and has some sort of puncture technology. Its available for some of their tires, but not all. The Expanse and Exposure dont have an SG2 option yet.

I really want to want some Exposure tires because they look super nice. But reviews from WTB's site and most everywhere on the internet arent very kind to the tire.

Conti just released GP5k with a natural brown sidewall, but only up to 28mm. Why? Why not the 32mm size too?
Old 02-24-21, 03:48 PM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Parkyy16
They are WTB Expanse 32s. I've only done one ride of any significance with them to this point, so my experience is very limited. I have them tubeless with Stan's sealant, and ran them around 70 psi on tarmac for my ride.

Here's what I can say so far:

Pros: I was able to seat the bead on my Hunt Aero Wide wheels with just a regular floor pump. The front tire holds air very well and has no leakage through the sidewalls--comparable to my tires with tubes. Even though there is some minimal tread on the tire, they seemed fast-rolling on asphalt, and the ride was very smooth at the lower pressure. I'll definitely play with the pressure a bit on different surfaces after the weather improves around here.

Cons: The rear tire had to be warrantied after just one ride. There was a line through the sidewall that didn't look like much, but it just leaked too much sealant. I sent a picture to WTB customer service, and they immediately sent me a new tire, on the condition that I destroyed the old tire. A+ for WTB customer service.

I chose this tire because I often ride on a mix of roads and crushed limestone bike paths (hard-packed with no chunky stuff). This tire seemed ideal for this. We shall see if the lack of puncture protection is a problem or not. My previous tires for these trails were 700x38c Challenge Gravel Grinders with butyl tubes, and I've never had a flat once with this setup (different bike).

Last edited by HarborBandS; 02-24-21 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-24-21, 03:59 PM
Parkyy16

Bikes: All steel... Breadwinner, Ritchey, Soma, VO, etc.

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr

I started this a few months ago in search of basically the same thing.

I am pretty sure the tires on that Mason are WTB Expanse which is a 32mm tire with some obligatory tread on the edge near the wall.
The WTB Exposure is then a 30mm tire.

Based on everything Ive read, neither has a lick of puncture technology. No barrier, not even just under the tread. WTB sidewalls are notoriously leaky like a pasta strainer, but if you ride with tubes that eliminates the sidewall leaking concern. WTB recently introduced 'SG2' which is a tire option that doesnt have leaky sidewalls and has some sort of puncture technology. Its available for some of their tires, but not all. The Expanse and Exposure dont have an SG2 option yet.

I really want to want some Exposure tires because they look super nice. But reviews from WTB's site and most everywhere on the internet arent very kind to the tire.

Conti just released GP5k with a natural brown sidewall, but only up to 28mm. Why? Why not the 32mm size too?
Had a look over on that thread, great information. I ended up ordering the Ritchey Road Logic Disc last night, so I'll be putting it together as I gather parts over the next month or two. Since I bought the black frameset, I figured it'd be nice to get some color in there with tan wall tires. I might try the GK slicks since they're cheaper than some of the other choices. Looking at some Vitorria Corsa, Specialized Roubiax, and some others mentioned on that thread. Looks like the roubaix and the Teravail durable casing has a bit more puncture resistance, but obviously heavier. I live in a college town and there's lots of shattered bottles in the bike lanes that I can't avoid at times and I hate getting punctures.

Back to the main topic of this thread, I know that the Ritchey Road Logic Disc is nice and light, I haven't seen a bad review of a Ritchey Logic, so I purchased it without being able to try it. I know Ritchey logic's already been mentioned here, so this is a moot point, I guess.
Likes For Parkyy16:
Old 02-25-21, 09:29 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
You may want to have a look at Cicli Casati in Italy. They’re not outrageously expensive.
I have a 20-year old NOS frame and steel fork that I recently built with a Campy Potenza group. The bike is very lively and comes in at 20 lbs. without any carbon anywhere.
Likes For Oldguyonoldbike:
Old 02-26-21, 05:26 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 708 Times in 362 Posts
Let’s see, lightweight, upright position, hydraulic disc brakes, ability to take wider tires, sounds exactly like your carbon gravel bike.

If the goal is a fast road bike, and you want to stay within your $3000 budget, you’d be better off with a second set of light, aero carbon wheels with fast road tires.

Dollars to donuts that will be faster, and likely lighter than what you can buy in steel for $3000.

And you can spend the left over money for some weight weenie parts if you really care about weight.

I know this doesn’t answer the question you asked, but it does address your stated goal.

So you may need to be honest with yourself that you just want a pretty new steel bike, which is fine, just don’t kid yourself in thinking it will be faster than your gravel bike is, or could be with some road bike specific wheels and tires.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.