Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

What should I know about carbon bars?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 03-31-21, 07:57 PM
GeoffNA

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus X 5.0 (2021)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

I'm thinking about installing carbon bars and have some questions:

- They are 780mm in length. Mfr. max length is 720mm. What are the risks of going shorter?

- I have Ergon grips. Are they safe for the bars?

- I have Specialized P2 Overendz bar ends. Packaging says their CNC alloy bar end plugs are required for carbon bars. Would it be okay to use a bar end mirror that plugs into the bar? Would the insert on the mirror end be sufficient?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-31-21, 08:45 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
The big thing with carbon bars is following torque spec. Unless you've been installing bars for years on a regular basis you shouldn't even try without a torque wrench, and if you have all that experience you should still use a torque wrench. Getting the stem bolts right is critical. The Ergons should be safe, they usually use a clamp ring, just snug the bolt lightly. Unless the bars specify that they are designed for bar ends, you can not use a mirror and have to use the plugs as directed. The ends of the bars are usually a touch thin and have a greater chance of cranking if the plug isn't there unless specifically designed. Carbon bars are nice, I like them on my gravel bike, but they have their limits. As to cutting them, wrap where you want to cut with tape, draw your line and use a very fine tooth or carbon specific blade for a hacksaw. Carbon bars can be cut if done right.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 04-01-21, 05:11 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 484 Posts
Carbon can make great bars but is easily crushable with neglect, so one needs to take a few precautions:

1/ Make sure your stem is crabon compatible. Not all are.
2/ Use a torque wrench for everything that attaches to it: stem face, grips, shifters, levers, accessories
3/ Use a carbon specific blade for cutting, try to go all around the tube first instead of cutting straight through
4/ Use carbon paste at stem/bar junction; avoid grease on carbon