Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Do you have to degrease your chain if you're caught in heavy rain for about 2 hours?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Do you have to degrease your chain if you're caught in heavy rain for about 2 hours?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-21, 07:52 AM
Ev0lutionz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

Was riding around and pelted by moderate to heavy rain. Just wondering, should I just re-lube it and save the time on degreasing?
Old 01-01-21, 08:35 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,170 Posts
Good practice to wipe dry and re-apply a light lube.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 01-01-21, 01:12 PM
hsuBM
jj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
When I don’t run my chain through the park cleaner tool with Water Displacer #40 and then lube after a wet ride, within a week I’ll wish I had.
Old 01-01-21, 04:21 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
In my view, bikes are not as delicate as we tend to think. I park my bike in the garage and let it drip dry.

Chain care rituals seem to range from nonexistent to bizarre.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 01-01-21, 05:08 PM
ScottRiqui

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
I use a "dry" lube, so washing the bike or riding in any amount of rain means that I need to dry and re-lube the chain, or else I get flash rust on at least the chain sideplates within a day or so. I don't de-grease unless the chain was due for it anyway.
Likes For ScottRiqui:
Old 01-01-21, 06:46 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
No. After twenty years of daily commuting, I'm pretty sure.
Likes For PaulH:
Old 01-02-21, 03:58 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
depends on your lube?!. dry vs wet. I use what is called pro on my commuter from now defunct Nashbar. It says putting in gentle rain but the mountain bike gets dry lube.
Old 01-02-21, 04:11 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
I use two lubes. Tri-Flo for my summer bikes and Finish Line MTB wet lube for my winter bikes. Hard rain and TriFlo? I lube when it's dry and use a lot. The wet lube? It's usually fine but I would probably run the chain through a rag and give it a light lube. (That's if I am a good boy, but the bike just forgives me then gets dirtier to spite me if I forget. The summer bikes will complain quite audibly when I try to ride them.)
Old 01-02-21, 05:40 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I ride almost daily in rain or heavy sea mist (think salt). I wax my chains so it isn't quite the same problem, but I still run a dry rag over the bike before putting it away. The wax is much more resistant to wash off than any oil I've ever used.
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 01-02-21, 05:57 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
I'd prefer to have a chain covered in grease because this will protect the chain from rusting every single time you get caught in the rain
Old 01-02-21, 10:24 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Originally Posted by Moisture
I'd prefer to have a chain covered in grease because this will protect the chain from rusting every single time you get caught in the rain
Ah heck, you just like to argue...(I'm actually smiling while I write this)
Old 01-04-21, 07:16 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 686 Posts
Oh is that what you're supposed to do? I usually just put it away like that and ride again the day after. Even a friend of mine who would ride 40km (25 miles) each day for his commute would only lube the chain once it would start creaking or he noticed an increase in drag.

Alternatively, sounds like you might like a full chaincase or a belt drive bike if this is something you do more often.

Likes For JaccoW:
Old 01-04-21, 10:45 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
For a number of years I parked the bike outside at work, under the open sky. I hardly knew whether it rained during the day or not. The rain mattered as I rode as cared whether I needed to put a rain cover over my luggage. Yes, it rains and snows outside and the air is commonly not at room temperature.
Old 01-04-21, 12:55 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
No need to futz with "cleaning" beyond a simple wipe down. A hard rain will wash the lube out, but there's still a chance road schmuck will be on the chain. Bounce the bike to shake off the water, wipe it off with a rag or paper towel, a relube. It'll be ready to ride in the morning (rain or shine!).
Old 01-04-21, 01:32 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Why would you degrease if the chain got wet? Rain is not made of grease, nor doe it make the old oil caustic. Wipe the chain and re-lube.
Old 01-04-21, 02:53 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I keep one chain in the crock pot, one ready to install, and one in the rain.

Lest anyone take this for actual advice, I have not really tried chain waxing
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 01-04-21, 03:30 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Before I arrived on the coast, I used to just put some 30wt oil on my chains, wipe them off with an old rag and not worry about them for 6 months. But now, between the salt in the water and sea mist and all the sand that coats everything, if I didn't wax I would be someone's best chain customer, not to mention cogs, chain rings, etc. After having cables rust and break I've even taken to waxing the new cables before installing them. Oil just washes out. Even SS spokes rust here.
Old 01-05-21, 02:49 PM
phughes

Originally Posted by Bigbus
Before I arrived on the coast, I used to just put some 30wt oil on my chains, wipe them off with an old rag and not worry about them for 6 months. But now, between the salt in the water and sea mist and all the sand that coats everything, if I didn't wax I would be someone's best chain customer, not to mention cogs, chain rings, etc. After having cables rust and break I've even taken to waxing the new cables before installing them. Oil just washes out. Even SS spokes rust here.
Okay...but we are talking about rain here.
Old 01-05-21, 04:27 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Originally Posted by phughes
Okay...but we are talking about rain here.
I'm talking about rain here, the kind that comes in off the ocean after picking up all kinds of salt. And sea mist that is every bit as heavy as a spring shower and happens almost every morning.
Old 01-05-21, 08:59 PM
phughes

Originally Posted by Bigbus
I'm talking about rain here, the kind that comes in off the ocean after picking up all kinds of salt. And sea mist that is every bit as heavy as a spring shower and happens almost every morning.
I'm well aware of the conditions around the coast, and what it does to metal. Regular rain is not like that though, and that is how the question was posed. No rain requires degreasing, though, not even your type of rain. It doesn't rain grease. Cleaning, possibly, but wiping and lubing will prevent most problems. I prefer a good lube over a wax, since it seems to protect better in my experience. Wax is wonderful, but for rainy environments, especially those with salt added to the mix, I go with regular petroleum based lubes.

I used to commute in the Winter, which meant slush with loads of salt. I had no chain issues, none. No rust. None. I did not degrease after every ride, nor did I even wipe the chain down every time. I kept it lubed well though.

So the answer is the same. No, you don't need to degrease after rain or salty rain. Rain doesn't add grease. Rain adds water, and other contaminants, but not grease. Keep an eye on it, wipe it down, and keep it lubed.
Likes For phughes: