Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.1

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.1

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-21, 03:07 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,950 Times in 1,206 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
I don’t even know what to say. That sucks. Sorry you are going through that.
I 2nd that sentiment
Old 02-03-21, 04:32 AM
kissTheApex

Bikes: Yes please

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS
I've been processing this for a week+ and haven't posted until i had my follow up yesterday and got some more information. I left the hospital pretty much in the dark which is bizarre. It's not like I was the first person to be diagnosed. Something like "you've been diagnosed with A Fib here are the 10 things you need to know" Alas, no dice.
In the immortal words of Forrest Gump, "that's all I've got to say about that."
Heal up well, heal up quick DougRNS ..
Old 02-03-21, 04:36 AM
ls01
he said member

A lot can happen in a few months. Your bike could start shifting funny, then the only logical thing to do it replace it.
Shifting? What about the bar tape? How old Is it? It might be dirty. I say no sense taking chances. You've seen what almost potentially happened to V.V. get rid of it before the disaster strikes and get a new bike! It's the responsible thing to do.
Old 02-03-21, 04:43 AM
ls01
he said member

Originally Posted by WhyFi
So yeah, what should have been a quick job ballooned and took almost a 1/4 of a Velo Vol bar wrapping session.
Wow, that's a real time suck.
Old 02-03-21, 04:45 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3257 Post(s)
Liked 2,082 Times in 978 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
You should assume this is happening as we speak. But it's not just thousands of people with RA that you need. You need thousands of controls without it. Even then, needle in a needle stack.
Do any of you happen to watch 60 Minutes? They did a piece last Sunday on the Chinese stockpiling genetic data (possibly including our own) for research and god knows what else. It was really interesting.
Old 02-03-21, 04:56 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Originally Posted by ls01
I 2nd that sentiment
third- hope all is okay Doug
Old 02-03-21, 05:04 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
When we lived in the Boston area, each snowfall was an occasion for every ******* with a large AWD vehicle to go out and drive it in as aggressive a manner as possible, e.g., two inches from your rear bumper, until they claimed a life or slid unrecoverably off the road.
My wife insists this doesn’t happen in the Boston area and that everyone is great at keeping their distance and driving slower in inclement weather. She’s wrong.

People are pretty bad in upstate NY as well.

Speaking of Boston, she drove out last Friday to check on our house out there. The house is an old Victorian split into two “condos”. When she got there and walked in the house our neighbors kid was living in the house!

The kid had been there a couple of days. She’s 18 and has cystic fibrosis, her older sister had gotten sick and tested positive so they sent her down to our house (but didn’t ask). My wife rightfully had a fit, gave our neighbor a ration of **** and then spoke with the daughter at length about taking care of our house. We had allowed her to do this back in the spring and the place was a wreck afterward.

this was the final straw, pretty sure we are going to unload it in the spring. The market is super strong there so it’s a really good time to be selling anyway.
Old 02-03-21, 05:31 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22579 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
On January 23rd I was admitted to the hospital with A Fib that happened on my ride. Thankfully, I only got two miles out when it hit the fan. Luckily the way back was flat to downhill. After 18 hours in the hospital, I converted naturally to a regular rhythm and was discharged in the afternoon.
I'm on a blood thinner and beta blocker and am wearing a monitor until Feb 11. I have a stress test on 2/17 and a follow up with the cardiologist to go over the monitor and stress test results on 3/17. The stress test is chemical (Speed or similar)and they will be looking at my heart as it happens.
The good thing is I am considered a low risk but am looking forward to the results so I know what lies ahead for me and what changes and limits I'll have.
I've been processing this for a week+ and haven't posted until i had my follow up yesterday and got some more information. I left the hospital pretty much in the dark which is bizarre. It's not like I was the first person to be diagnosed. Something like "you've been diagnosed with A Fib here are the 10 things you need to know" Alas, no dice.
Ugh. Sorry to hear. Fingers crossed it all goes ok. The beta blocker will limit your ability to ride hard on the bike, but at least for now is a reasonable thing to take.
Old 02-03-21, 05:38 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10152 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
On January 23rd I was admitted to the hospital with A Fib that happened on my ride. Thankfully, I only got two miles out when it hit the fan. Luckily the way back was flat to downhill. After 18 hours in the hospital, I converted naturally to a regular rhythm and was discharged in the afternoon.
I'm on a blood thinner and beta blocker and am wearing a monitor until Feb 11. I have a stress test on 2/17 and a follow up with the cardiologist to go over the monitor and stress test results on 3/17. The stress test is chemical (Speed or similar)and they will be looking at my heart as it happens.
The good thing is I am considered a low risk but am looking forward to the results so I know what lies ahead for me and what changes and limits I'll have.
Wow. So sorry to hear. It has happened to a few athletic friends of mine and, fortunately, all are fine and back to full activity, which in their case is a lot. My money’s on a clean stress test, a trial of anti-arrhythmic meds, and cardioversion if necessary.
Old 02-03-21, 05:46 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28577 Post(s)
Liked 1,849 Times in 1,313 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
Do any of you happen to watch 60 Minutes? They did a piece last Sunday on the Chinese stockpiling genetic data (possibly including our own) for research and god knows what else. It was really interesting.
Just watched.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/biodata...es-2021-01-31/

Reaction: So what?
Old 02-03-21, 06:52 AM
MoAlpha
• —

A lot can happen in a few months. Your bike could start shifting funny, then the only logical thing to do it replace it.
If I do anything, I’ll probably just upgrade the derailleurs and shifters and move the 6800 stuff to the Lynskey.
Old 02-03-21, 06:54 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Roads are too messy and icy even for the CX bike. Heading to the dungeon for some fake miles with online strangers.
Old 02-03-21, 07:49 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11954 Post(s)
Liked 6,611 Times in 3,469 Posts
Wishing for all the best.
Old 02-03-21, 07:49 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
It’s easy to remove personally identifiable data from those sets. It’s all a matter of who retains the key and whom you trust.
Old 02-03-21, 07:52 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,618 Times in 2,122 Posts
DougRNS Hang in there. Sending good vibes.

Old 02-03-21, 07:53 AM
BillyD
Administrator

This is the thing. I’m almost certainly too cheap to blow it on a bike, when I’ve already got a good one.
Exceptional 41 logic.
Old 02-03-21, 07:56 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Be more specific.
Please don’t.
Old 02-03-21, 08:06 AM
BillyD
Administrator

My wife insists this doesn’t happen in the Boston area and that everyone is great at keeping their distance and driving slower in inclement weather. She’s wrong.

Speaking of Boston, she drove out last Friday to check on our house out there. The house is an old Victorian split into two “condos”. When she got there and walked in the house our neighbors kid was living in the house!

The kid had been there a couple of days. She’s 18 and has cystic fibrosis, her older sister had gotten sick and tested positive so they sent her down to our house (but didn’t ask). My wife rightfully had a fit, gave our neighbor a ration of **** and then spoke with the daughter at length about taking care of our house. We had allowed her to do this back in the spring and the place was a wreck afterward.

this was the final straw, pretty sure we are going to unload it in the spring. The market is super strong there so it’s a really good time to be selling anyway.
Just out-******g-rageous.
Old 02-03-21, 08:21 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28577 Post(s)
Liked 1,849 Times in 1,313 Posts
It’s easy to remove personally identifiable data from those sets. It’s all a matter of who retains the key and whom you trust.
Even assuming China has it, what's the harm?
Old 02-03-21, 08:22 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Amazing. We keep thinking about buying a rental property and then saying, naah.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 02-03-21, 08:22 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11393 Post(s)
Liked 4,735 Times in 2,758 Posts
CCP is at the top of my list in regards to trustworthiness.
Old 02-03-21, 08:33 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Be more specific.
Hour-ish?

Originally Posted by ls01
Wow, that's a real time suck.
ikr
Old 02-03-21, 08:34 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

While we slept, our lawn guy came and plowed our driveway.

I did a fake group ride on Zwift. It was ok. It was actually a fairly easy pace for me, except for the six times my signal dropped and I had to dial it up to 400w for 10s to get back with the group.

It is interesting to see the power zone colors on the bottom of my screen. Almost always in blue (Z2) but with some occasional greens and yellows, and a UGE red spike when I get dropped and power back.

I consider it a 21st century fartlek ride.
Old 02-03-21, 08:35 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13694 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 2,499 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
The spoke is replaced and ready to roll for tomorrow

....but it was one of those increasingly involved repairs.

First, the nipple had to be fished out of the rim; it wasn't magnetic, so I resigned myself to removing and the rim tape when a few minutes worth of jiggling didn't free the nipple.

Then I found that both the brake rotor and the cassette were interfering with lacing the spoke through the hub eyelet, so I had to remove both (having to dig up a T-25 for the 6-bolt rotor).

Got the spoke laced and tensioned and the tire trued easily enough.

Cleaned up the rim bed for the new tape and slapped that on. Reinstalled tire and tube. Reinstalled cassette and rotor. Popped the wheel back in and DONE!

Well, not quite. Somehow, during this whole process, the rotor alignment changed significantly - pushing in the pistons wasn't enough, so I had to reposition the calipers. In that process, I discovered that whomever designed the Haanjo was an idiot and didn't leave very much clearance for one of the caliper fasteners. None of my halfway decent tools would fit, so I had to rummage through the toolbox for one of those cheapie L-shaped Allen wrenches.

So yeah, what should have been a quick job ballooned and took almost a 1/4 of a Velo Vol bar wrapping session.
First thing I do for a rear spoke replacement is remove the cassette and rotor. I tried to skip that step once.
Likes For rjones28:
Old 02-03-21, 08:36 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Roads are too messy and icy even for the CX bike.
Not all of us are studly.

Likes For WhyFi:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.