Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Buying a road bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Buying a road bike

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-21, 05:28 PM
heyfritzzapie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buying a road bike

Hello! I'm new to this forum and just currently got interested in cycling. We have an old Montana full-sus bike at home but i want to switch to a road bike.

My friend told me he has a bike for sale which is the Sunpeed Mars that he's willing to let go of at around 300 USD.

But i was also thinking of getting a brand new RB called Phantom Explorer (idk if this bike manufacturer is good or not) and just upgrade the groupset along the way.

Please help me decide whether i should just buy the bike of my friend or get an entry level one (the one i mentioned or any suggestions below 200 USD so that i have room for a groupset upgrade)

Any inputs will be appreciated. Thank you!
Old 01-15-21, 05:44 PM
headwind15
Bikeable

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
When buying a bike the biggest concerns are A) Sizing. Is you friends bike the right size? It's only a good deal if it fits. Both brands have different component levels. From what I could see some had the really lowest of low end paddle shifters. I personally would avoid a bike with those. The most basic rule of thumb is to buy a bike where there is more seat post showing than the head tube size.
Old 01-15-21, 05:47 PM
heyfritzzapie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by headwind15
When buying a bike the biggest concerns are A) Sizing. Is you friends bike the right size? It's only a good deal if it fits. Both brands have different component levels. From what I could see some had the really lowest of low end paddle shifters. I personally would avoid a bike with those. The most basic rule of thumb is to buy a bike where there is more seat post showing than the head tube size.
Actually yes, me and my friend is almost the same height just an inch apart. He said it fits perfect for him. Yeah i looked at the sunpeed mars and its specs are way better than the one i had in mind of buying. I can also actually stretch my budget around 400USD if it matters to have better components for new/second hand RB.
Old 01-16-21, 12:26 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Buying a bike and upgrading the components is likely going to get you less bang for your dollar than just buying a new bike. Even though I do almost all my own maintenance, I'd also by a bike, whether new or used, that has local retailers selling that manufacture of bike. Even if you don't actually buy a bike from them. Whether you know it now or not, sometime in the future you'll be glad there is a local place that has ties to the manufacturer.

The size of bike is important. Don't assume because someone else rides a bike that they know anything about sizing bikes. If you don't have anything else to go on, then find out what the sizing recommendations of the manufacturer are for that exact model. Different models of the same manufacturer can have different sizing recommendations.

Used bikes can be a deal. But they can also be a money pit if components are near to being worn out. Shifters on a road bike aren't cheap. They'll work great up until they need replacing. So that makes used a potential blow to your pocket book. Putting better stuff on a used bike really doesn't increase it's value to anyone but you.