Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Why does the Mind forget Pain and Danger so quickly?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 02-06-21, 05:00 PM
5 mph

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 50 Posts

Its Monday morning and I'm chugging up a steep hill on my Single Speed. On the left comes traffic. On the right is a Deep Ditch.
Its not the normal traffic on this road, Subaru's and Honda's that slow down and even stop so you are safe.
This time its big ancient work trucks and the drivers come within a foot of me .
I'm using Pedals with Straps. If I run out of steam, the Straps can keep me from getting my foot on the ground in time
to stop my fall because by now I am tiring and moving slowly. I can't downshift, I'm on a Single Speed
If my legs lose power and freeze I would literally tip over, hopefully into the ditch and not the tires of a big Ford Ranger.
I swear I will never do this again. It was really stupid trying to climb this Hill.
I look up and see I still haven't crested the hill. I have about fifty feet to go, and it hurts and it seems like it
takes 10 minutes to get there. There's fear and pain and breakfast coffee fumes in my stomach. I feel like a five year old SCARED CHILD. I won't do this again
Finally I am there!
I look down and see 200 yards of empty plunging hill, and I forget everything and a few seconds later, I'm whizzing down the hill at high speed, happy as a Five year old with an Ice Cream Cone. I feel like SUPERMAN.

Two days later, Its Wednesday morning and I'm chugging up a hill on my Single Speed. On the left comes traffic. On the right is a Deep Ditch.
Its not the normal traffic on this road, Subaru's and Honda's that slow down and even stop so you are safe.
This time its big ancient work trucks .....

Why do our Minds forget Pain and Fear so quickly?
Many of you have been Riding longer than me. Have you ever had this Happen?

Last edited by 5 mph; 02-06-21 at 05:06 PM.
Old 02-06-21, 05:04 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 946 Times in 553 Posts
get hurt a few times you will not forget. still fill my torn rotator cuff 2 years later. I am far more careful now riding.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 02-06-21, 05:15 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Liked 1,422 Times in 973 Posts
OUCH! . . . Huh? What?
Old 02-06-21, 05:21 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 946 Times in 553 Posts
I try to avoid things that cause pain Now I cant take any pain meds anymore and I have been in wait too much pain in the last few years so I don't risk it much anymore.
Old 02-06-21, 05:24 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 775 Times in 261 Posts
I’m 6 weeks into recovering from the worst bike accident I’ve ever had. It made a deep enough impression that I doubt I’ll forget it to the day I die.
Once you have an event that hits a certain level of pain, you won’t forget it.
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 02-06-21, 05:54 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4388 Post(s)
Liked 4,499 Times in 3,011 Posts
I avoid country music because of the pain it causes to my ears.
Old 02-06-21, 08:28 PM
PaulH

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 61 Posts
William Neal wrote a wonderful whitewater humor book, Kayaks to Hell . There was one story about a marvelous device -- the Reality Dimmer Switch. It installed onto your head and was a big button. When you were painful, wet cold, and scared, all you had to do was press the switch and you would think you were having a great time. https://www.amazon.com/Kayaks-Hell-W.../dp/0897320107
Old 02-06-21, 09:05 PM
5 mph

Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
Climbing for 10 minutes is a WHOOOOOOLE lot less painful than listening to country music!
I don't follow Country Music, its loved by many, but it's really out of my realm, being a second generation immigrant. I did think Dolly Parton was a real Star, though.
Likes For 5 mph:
Old 02-06-21, 10:00 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
I avoid country music because of the pain it causes to my ears.
I have that same unforgettable pain.
Likes For OldsCOOL:
Old 02-07-21, 02:45 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Depends on the situation. I've shrugged off most injuries -- bicycle and motorcycle crashes, sports, fighting. Heck, I was an amateur boxer until my early 20s, so getting hit and pain were just routine. You've gotta shrug it off instantly or there's no way to survive in the ring. I've seen guys quit, not because they were necessarily stunned, but you could see in their faces the pain just wasn't worth continuing another minute.

But being hit by a car almost three years ago stayed with me. Still hurts every damn day. And that sticks in my mind most rides now. There are days I'll go for a walk or run rather than get into traffic. Running hurts worse than bike riding. But nothing hurts like this daily neck, shoulder and back pain.
Old 02-07-21, 05:39 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,297 Times in 7,230 Posts
Plenty of threads in this forum started by people who have hard times forgetting.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-07-21, 08:48 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
I think it depends on the severity. The more severe the harder to forget.
The pain of lactic acid build up, high heart rate and searing lungs shouldn't be discounted, but it's a credit to humans survival instincts and mental toughness that makes us think we can conquer it next time. However, getting a cut, a broken bone or a concussion will bring on those same survival instincts that say "uh maybe I shouldn't do that again".
Old 02-07-21, 10:47 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
Personally, I think your desire to ride a single speed offsets anything else. You have made your choice, accept it.

I don’t care for traffic much these days and I choose my routes and times carefully. One thing I won’t do in a culture that could care less about my demise is compromise my ability to prevent it.

John
Old 02-07-21, 11:18 AM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
Hit by a car 2 years ago.
My mind has pretty much forgotten the fear.
My body still feels the pain.
Old 02-07-21, 04:06 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
It all depends on the mind in question.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 02-07-21, 04:31 PM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by 5 mph
Its Monday morning and I'm chugging up a steep hill on my Single Speed. On the left comes traffic. On the right is a Deep Ditch.
This time its big ancient work trucks and the drivers come within a foot of me .
I'm using Pedals with Straps. If I run out of steam, the Straps can keep me from getting my foot on the ground in time
to stop my fall because by now I am tiring and moving slowly. I can't downshift, I'm on a Single Speed
If my legs lose power and freeze I would literally tip over, hopefully into the ditch and not the tires of a big Ford Ranger.
I swear I will never do this again. It was really stupid trying to climb this Hill.
I look up and see I still haven't crested the hill. I have about fifty feet to go, and it hurts and it seems like it
takes 10 minutes to get there. There's fear and pain and breakfast coffee fumes in my stomach. I feel like a five year old SCARED CHILD. I won't do this again
Finally I am there!
I look down and see 200 yards of empty plunging hill, and I forget everything and a few seconds later, I'm whizzing down the hill at high speed, happy as a Five year old with an Ice Cream Cone. I feel like SUPERMAN.

Two days later, Its Wednesday morning and I'm chugging up a hill on my Single Speed. On the left comes traffic. On the right is a Deep Ditch.
This time its big ancient work trucks .....

Why do our Minds forget Pain and Fear so quickly?
Many of you have been Riding longer than me. Have you ever had this Happen?

It's how we move on.
Old 02-07-21, 04:33 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Depends on the situation. I've shrugged off most injuries -- bicycle and motorcycle crashes, sports, fighting. Heck, I was an amateur boxer until my early 20s, so getting hit and pain were just routine. You've gotta shrug it off instantly or there's no way to survive in the ring. I've seen guys quit, not because they were necessarily stunned, but you could see in their faces the pain just wasn't worth continuing another minute.
Was it Hassim Rahman who was crying in the ring against Lennox Lewis? That was a weird one, he just broke down.
Old 02-07-21, 04:43 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
Imagine a clan living in a cave. To ensure survival, some had to venture out. To protect against catastrophic failure, some had to stay inside. So that means something, but I don't know exactly what.

We don't live in caves, but our instincts for risk/reward have not progressed much.

So go climb that hill. Our species needs it to ensure our survival.

j/k
Old 02-07-21, 06:44 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Survival instinct. We forget pain. If not, would any woman that has ever delivered a child want to go through that pain again?

I've dislocated my right knee five times, the left knee twice... One time it doesn't pop back into place on its own, I literally had to grab my lower leg and pop it back in place my myself, then hop on the other leg 200' up to the house...

I've been hit by a car while riding a motorcycle, age 24 - I flew 100' through the air and landed on the pavement.

Kidney infection at age 13 - I was curled up in the fetal position on the bathroom floor due to the pain. Dad had to carry me to the car - still curled up - for the 20-minute ride to the hospital.

Appendicitis sat age 45 - again, a 20-minute ride - the wife drove me in her F250HD shortbed on the bumpiest Northern Ohio pot-holed roads to the nearest ER, and the appendix burst when they removed it.

Prostatectomy at age 53 - I thought I could walk to the bathroom the next day... I got out of the hospital bed, took two steps, and my body literally started to convulse from the pain... and down I went like a sack of...

Pain? Yep BTDT. Got the scars to prove it.

Old 02-07-21, 08:05 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Plenty of threads in this forum started by people who have hard times forgetting.
That is why I ride, to forget things.
Old 02-07-21, 08:17 PM
5 mph

Originally Posted by downtube42
Imagine a clan living in a cave. To ensure survival, some had to venture out. To protect against catastrophic failure, some had to stay inside. So that means something, but I don't know exactly what.

We don't live in caves, but our instincts for risk/reward have not progressed much.

So go climb that hill. Our species needs it to ensure our survival.

j/k
This is not a post about ME
It's a post about US.
And I forgot to specify I use my Mirror very well. And there's also a chance I will get my foot on the ground. and I would watch my mirror before I tip.
And this is my last year riding Single Speed. 61 years old.
Old 02-07-21, 08:27 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
Originally Posted by 5 mph
This is not a post about ME
It's a post about US.
And I forgot to specify I use my Mirror very well. And there's also a chance I will get my foot on the ground. and I would watch my mirror before I tip.
And this is my last year riding Single Speed. 61 years old.
That's how I intended - about us. Also intended somewhat light heartedly.

I broke my neck bombing down a butte 16 months ago, just after turning 60. I bomb down that butte now, albiet a tad more carefully. Yesterday I finished a 200k in drizzly darkness, which included a long twisty climb that I dislike due to the blind spots and lack of bailout options. It's my fifth time doing that ride, and I'll do it many more times.

I don't know why, I expect we're wired that way for some reason.
Old 02-07-21, 08:32 PM
5 mph

In time I will be frail. and cautions 'm enjoying my last good year

Last edited by 5 mph; 02-07-21 at 10:38 PM.
Old 02-07-21, 08:43 PM
bikejrff

Bikes: No. 22 Bicycle Great Divide, Lynskey R260, Salsa Colossal Ti, Litespeed T5, Lynskey Peloton, Bianchi Vigorelli, CAAD 10, Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, C-Dale Quick 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
I’m 6 weeks into recovering from the worst bike accident I’ve ever had. It made a deep enough impression that I doubt I’ll forget it to the day I die.
Once you have an event that hits a certain level of pain, you won’t forget it.
I am five weeks since my worst bicycle crash ever. Still have 1.5 hour memory gap so i don't even know what happened. I feel your pain bro.
Old 02-07-21, 09:32 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
Most physical pain I experienced was from a fractured L2 playing football at age 15. Played 6 quarters before I was having trouble walking and had to pull myself out of the game. The mind can do incredibly stupid things when properly motivated.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.