Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

[Purchase Advice] Trek vs Specalized vs Giant vs Norco?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 03-28-21, 10:03 AM
mgr1337

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All,

I'm looking to purchase a bike this spring and my budget is around $7-800 USD. I'll mostly be using the bike on light trails and on the road. There are so many options, so looking for some opinions. Which one would ya'll recommend?

Thanks!!
Old 03-28-21, 04:41 PM
AU Tiger

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2017 Kona Fire Mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
We don't have Norcro bikes in my area, so I have no first-hand experience with them. But looking at the website, the Indie is interesting in that it has 27.5" tires, a chromoly fork, and backsweep handlebars. That should in theory make it more comfortable than the typical 700c rigid fork offerings from Trek, Giant, and Specialized. The trade-off is that the wider tires would likely be a little more sluggish by comparison. I think it would at least be worth a look, though; you may find the comfort is worth the weight. Norcro's VFR looks more like the fitness bikes from the other brands, but strangely it doesn't appear to be offered with disc brakes. That would be a deal-breaker for me; disc brakes are night-and-day easier to adjust than rim brakes.

As for the other brands, I think the Trek FX, Giant Escape, and Specialized Sirrus lines are probably what you're looking for. All of those are going to be about the same quality at the same price points, but you might find one brand fits you a little bit better than the others. A good long test ride is going to help.

The big question is whether your local shops will have any in stock. New bikes are hard to come by these days.
Old 03-29-21, 10:31 AM
rut3556

Bikes: 2021 Giant Escape 2 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
>>The big question is whether your local shops will have any in stock. New bikes are hard to come by these days<<

This! Had I not bought my Giant Escape 2 Disc back in February I'd be out of luck today. They'd bought this lot back last July, and when they're gone they're gone.
Likes For rut3556:
Old 03-29-21, 10:51 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by mgr1337
Hi All,

I'm looking to purchase a bike this spring and my budget is around $7-800 USD. I'll mostly be using the bike on light trails and on the road. There are so many options, so looking for some opinions. Which one would ya'll recommend?

Thanks!!
The major brands compete are various price points and will likely be similar to one another. Every brand has a similar product at a given price point, and the brands do sometimes save costs in different ways, none of which is fatal to your choice. Put another way, even if brand X specs a better brake, or derailleur, or tire at said price point, these are all things that can be upgraded later. Though we all have our preferences, it is not really likely any one person would have personal experience with every brand at the $700 to $800 for this year's models.

So focus on things like fit, service, convenience, and intangibles, like does the bike make you smile when you throw a leg over the top tube.