Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Benotto Tandem

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-21, 06:27 PM
Binky

Bikes: Too, too many....

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 57 Posts
Benotto Tandem

Older tandem bike, circa 1975, probably made in Mexico.
Paint a bit rough. Very stiff ride.
Simply not being used so it has to go....
What is it likely to fetch ?

Not a really good bike, but some good parts:
Campagnolo drop-outs, pedals, derailleurs, levers, brakes.
Miche cranks and chain rings.
Weinmann wheels.
Rino seat posts.
Cinelli rear bar and stem.
Gardin front stem.
Cyclo Man front drop bars.
23-inch front and 21-inch step-through rear.

Last edited by Binky; 04-19-21 at 07:16 PM.
Old 04-20-21, 08:55 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
In my experience, tandems are notoriously hard to sell. Basically, it's a buyer's market when it comes to tandems. They sit for a long time and don't fetch anywhere near what they should be worth. It may be worth more as a part-out. FYI, the rear derailleur is 1st generation Campagnolo Athena.
Old 04-20-21, 10:53 AM
Binky

Bikes: Too, too many....

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
In my experience, tandems are notoriously hard to sell. Basically, it's a buyer's market when it comes to tandems. They sit for a long time and don't fetch anywhere near what they should be worth. It may be worth more as a part-out. FYI, the rear derailleur is 1st generation Campagnolo Athena.
Thanks for the reply.
I had the same thought...
My wife thinks that there is a wedding / studio photographer somewhere who might want to buy it as a prop for cute "togetherness" wedding / engagement photos.
I theoretically could replace the Italian stuff with Japanese Shimano Tourney and Sakae stuff if it just going to be a prop. I have sold bikes to a movie studio in the past...

The thing is, other than being 45 years old, heavier than a dead priest, and a very stiff ride, its really not a bad bike.
Riding it solo is not too different from riding any other so-so 12-speed racer, but I have other (and better) bikes, so the incentive to use it is a bit weak.
With anything over 80 PSI the ride tends to get a bit harsh.
And people keep telling me that my stoker fell off. Ha, ha...

I read something on ****** about a guy who used the "Barter" feature on CraigsList to good effect and I am contemplating offering it on CL for barter for the best used Mac desktop computer I can get for it to replace my old Mac, which is from Early 2009. My riding years may be coming to an end. Not happy.

Bink
Old 04-20-21, 11:15 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by Binky
...Riding it solo is not too different from riding any other so-so 12-speed racer, but I have other (and better) bikes, so the incentive to use it is a bit weak.
With anything over 80 PSI the ride tends to get a bit harsh.
And people keep telling me that my stoker fell off. Ha, ha...
I've been accused of having an "invisible stoker" for the Santana Elan tandem that I used to own. Some cyclists just couldn't accept being passed on an uphill grade by a guy riding a tandem without a stoker.
Old 04-21-21, 12:37 PM
James1964 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 96 Posts
I have a similar tandem dilemma; I know the parts (including a Campagnolo Rally RD, Specialites TA tandem crankset, etc.) would sell for more than the complete bike. Yet, I don't want to part it out.

I've been riding it with my 12YO son as stoker. It's a good way to get him comfortable riding on roads. He's surprisingly strong given his 85lb weight; on flat stretches, we've cruised past kitted-out riders while wearing cargo shorts and using pedals with toe clips.
Old 04-22-21, 05:24 AM
JulesCW 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 319 Posts
With a few exceptions old tandems are a tough sell. I recently bought a U.S. made minor builder tandem (Fastab) from the late 1970s in good condition with T.A. cranksets, Phil Wood BBs and hubs, Campy Rally rear der and record front, Suntour Barcons, and Campy record brakes for $325. The seller had been trying to sell it for a while, with no interest -- the parts are worth a fair bit more than the bike as a whole.

Part of the problem is the fit of older tandems like these -- they're a lot shorter in the stoker compartment, which does not appeal to many adult stokers. They make great bikes for riding with child stokers or a shorter adult stoker, though. Yours also might suffer less from the flexi-frame phenomenon as it has what looks like beefier construction with the double tubes in the stoker compartment.

With luck in a major metro area you might get $350-$400 for this one if you market it as a great first tandem and an ideal bike for riding with children.