Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

mouth breathing and cold

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

mouth breathing and cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-12, 09:27 PM
ragtoplvr

Bikes: specalized sirrus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mouth breathing and cold

I can't get enough air thru my nose in the cold. So I breathe thru my mouth. I have been using a scarf over my mouth, or something knitted in the cold and it really helps. Now the question is, is there something better.

Rod
Old 12-26-12, 09:35 PM
mtbikerinpa
Shimano Certified

Bikes: 92 Giant Sedona ATX Custom

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
There are some neck/face only hats that have semi permeable face plates for breathing to get a little less condensation. Some balaclavas are also made that way. So far this year I haven't needed that personally but some years it is needed until the lungs get used to the cold.
Old 12-26-12, 11:18 PM
agent pombero
Mmm hm!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Use a balaclava. The material is much easier to breathe through than a knitted scarf. How could does it get where you live?
Old 12-26-12, 11:26 PM
Hezz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
I can't get enough air thru my nose in the cold. So I breathe thru my mouth. I have been using a scarf over my mouth, or something knitted in the cold and it really helps. Now the question is, is there something better.

Rod
There is actually a plastic respirator that is designed for really cold weather athletics. It's kind of a heat exchanger of sorts that goes on your chest under your clothes and you breath through a mouth piece that pulls in air through the system that your body has warmed. I can't remember what it is called. You'd have to do a google search. I think you could rig something up pretty cheap though. Like a small backpack lined with foam holding some kind of light heat exchanger with a mouth piece of some kind.

I tried searching that product i was talking about but it may not be on the market any longer. It was discussed on this forum a few years ago. You might look at something like this:

https://gizmodo.com/5454880/coldaveng...you-breathe-in

Last edited by Hezz; 12-26-12 at 11:40 PM.
Old 12-27-12, 12:51 AM
ragtoplvr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by agent pombero
Use a balaclava. The material is much easier to breathe through than a knitted scarf. How could does it get where you live?
It can get could (cold) the day in question was about 30 ish. It is the dry throat and upper lungs, annoying. I got a better balaclava, it smells after an hour, but washed regular it seems ok. I was wondering if anything better.

Rod
Old 12-27-12, 01:53 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I can breathe inside my rain cape, and just see over the top of the collar ..

and I have a fleece Neck Gaiter I can pull over my nose and mouth..
for thr dryer cold.. At 0C.

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-16-13 at 01:00 PM.
Old 12-27-12, 09:07 AM
Wilbur Bud

Bikes: Longbikes Slipstream

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 31 Posts
Review some history by searching on respirator:

https://www.bikeforums.net/search.php?searchid=6840600

A regular respirator without filters, a neoprene mask, and the heat exchanger methods and equipment are often discussed, in addition to cloth coverings.

I use the respirator approach below 15F. While it's not necessary from a health point of view (most people can breathe safely at far lower temperatures), I wear it for the comfort as it helps shield the skin and pre warms the incoming air a trifle while keeping my teeth from being achingly cold if I breathe through the mouth one too many times.
Old 12-27-12, 09:26 AM
RickB.

Bikes: '04 Cannondale R1000, Haluzak Horizon recumbent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use this from Turtle Fur :

https://tinyurl.com/bpcxmn6

and I actually had to trim some fabric away from the mouth area to let my big goatee hang out. Has worked well for me down into upper single digits (F)...
Old 12-27-12, 09:51 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
Here is a skiing accessory that works well. It's called a "Snowdana"

and can be adjusted anyway you like while riding. It is made of a nice fleece comes in a lot of styles and keeps the face and neck comfy without making you look like a mass-murderer (just a bandit).

Marc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0177.JPG (43.7 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0173.JPG (44.0 KB, 23 views)
Old 12-27-12, 09:57 AM
droy45
tougher than a boiled owl

Bikes: Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use a neck warmer that has a built in part to go over the lower part of your face that you can breath through. Don't need anything in 30deg weather though. I use this in the 10deg and below stuff.
Old 12-27-12, 10:08 AM
ragtoplvr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get a pretty sore throat if I go on a longer ride. A 30 minute ride I am fine. The longer ones are a problem. I can take the camelbak but then my back gets very sweaty even in the cold.. Or hit a convenience store when I empty the 2 bottles. With the neck warmer I loose less out my lungs so I can ride farther before stopping.

Rod
Old 12-27-12, 10:18 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Would a surgical mask work for you? Or one of those dust masks from Home Depot?
Old 12-27-12, 10:23 AM
droy45
tougher than a boiled owl

Bikes: Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I get a pretty sore throat if I go on a longer ride. A 30 minute ride I am fine. The longer ones are a problem. I can take the camelbak but then my back gets very sweaty even in the cold.. Or hit a convenience store when I empty the 2 bottles. With the neck warmer I loose less out my lungs so I can ride farther before stopping.

Rod
Sounds like the neck warmer is working for you??
Old 12-27-12, 11:50 AM
squegeeboo

Bikes: Specalized Tri-Cross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a beardhead for really cold, and just a normal balaclava for standard cold.
Old 12-27-12, 12:02 PM
erig007

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
Would a surgical mask work for you? Or one of those dust masks from Home Depot?
I have both dust masks and 3m half mask respirators and the latter breathe way better than the former.

Without the filters on the half mask respirators are just perfect for mouth breathing in cold weather.
I personally use neoprene half face masks as it works fine too for me.
Old 12-27-12, 03:10 PM
ragtoplvr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by droy45
Sounds like the neck warmer is working for you??
Yes, it is working, and it sounds like it is the best I can do. I have to wash it as soon as I get in or it begins to smell. So I just do my other stuff too. It seems strange you can be cold and sweating at the same time, but that is what happens. I am staying warm though. Nothing gets so cold it hurts, which is good.

Rod
Old 12-27-12, 06:57 PM
Hezz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, it is working, and it sounds like it is the best I can do. I have to wash it as soon as I get in or it begins to smell. So I just do my other stuff too. It seems strange you can be cold and sweating at the same time, but that is what happens. I am staying warm though. Nothing gets so cold it hurts, which is good.

Rod
One of the best strategies for winter riding that I have used is to go on shorter/faster rides. That is when the roads allow it. You can accomplish high degrees of fitness on a hard 15-30 minute time trial. Combining this strategy with your neck warmer may be a winning combination. Although you will sweat more. And if your ride is a commute it may not work to push pace beyond what is safe. Still, for many of us, the difference between a hard ride and an easy one is only maintaining a 2-5 mph faster pace for at least a 10-15 minute interval.
Old 12-28-12, 06:55 AM
SortaGrey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IMO if your not breathing mostly thru your mouth your not working hard enough. I must cover my mouth
to attempt some air warming per injury yrs ago. My solution to date is a long hand knitted scarf with two layers covering the mouth.. also a good wrap of the throat section too. Yes one sweats.. but that degree of effort given the necessary winter clothing means trapped heat... and water loss to perspiration.
Old 01-10-13, 12:15 AM
erig007

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I sew the nose opening of a seirus neoprene mask. Now the cold air warm up more because it enter via the holes of the mask for the mouth. The distance the air must do to reach the nose has increased
Old 01-10-13, 08:38 AM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Some neoprene face masks have a mesh of small ventilation holes in front of your mouth. They block enough wind to keep your face warm but allow you to exhale normally, which prevents blowby along your nose which can fog your glasses. I have the glasses fogging problem with both of my balaclavas unless I'm very careful with placement and how I exhale.
Old 01-10-13, 09:29 AM
erig007

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Myosmith
I have the glasses fogging problem with both of my balaclavas unless I'm very careful with placement and how I exhale.
I have noticed that half masks that you attach on the back of your head like this one seems to lead to less fogging problem than the other balaclavas that i have because I can tighten up as much as i want so that no gap remains between the top of the half mask and my nose preventing my exhaled breath from fogging my goggles.
That plus double lens goggles and no more fogging problem most of the time (except if i'm not moving for at least several minutes or indoor with the goggles on)
https://www.amazon.com/Neoprene-Half-...=neoprene+mask
Old 01-10-13, 11:33 AM
Wilbur Bud

Bikes: Longbikes Slipstream

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 31 Posts
For the foggy glasses problem I put an exhaust tube on the exit valve of the half-mask respirator without filters, moving it down vertically to mid-torso (sump pump drain hose by the foot at the hardware store). I wind up with frost and ice on my torso, but it melts/dries between rides. Looks comical, but then winter commuting is in the dark for me most of the season, and I prefer the comfort of the half-mask when it gets down below 15F.

Old 01-10-13, 11:56 AM
Cycle Alaska

Bikes: Marin San Rafael

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Cold Avenger face mask works great for me. Good ventilation and no sucking in cloth in your mouth (when inhaling) with scarves or traditioal balaclavas.
Old 01-10-13, 02:38 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Try a neoprene face mask by sierus;

Last edited by Leebo; 01-18-13 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-11-13, 02:06 AM
loneviking61

Bikes: Schwinn Trailwise, Surly Pugsley

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Neoprene masks don't help much, because they have holes in them for you to breath in---and you are still breathing in ice cold air.

Try a Neoprene mask for warmth with a Buff rag (Merino wool is what I use) over the top:

https://www.buffwear.com/index.php?route=common/home

This material is thinner and doesn't get nearly as wet, soggy and cold as a fleece balaclava. I also use a Shemagh if I need more warmth, one like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Rothco-SHEMAGH...tactical+scarf

You can tie a Shemagh in all sorts of ways, you don't have to use it as a full head wrap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.