Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Recommended Torque Wrench Sets?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-16, 04:48 PM
Monkey D.Luffy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi yall, looking for suggestions for a torque wrench set for handlebars, seatposts, on carbon parts, etc. Any recommended sets and where to get them? (I'm in the US). Thanks!
Old 10-06-16, 08:25 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I'd suggest (and I use) a 1/4" and a 3/8" drive click-type torque wrench from Harbor Freight or similar. They are available for $10 (sale) or $20 and are quite adequate for bike use; you are not working on aircraft or spacecraft. Pick up a couple of sets of hex and Torx bits and sockets (another few dollars) and you should be set. There are available from Nashbar and the like, torque wrench sets but they are about $80 for a 1/4 inch driver and a few hex bits in a case unless you find a sale and do not appear to be any better than HF stuff to me. You will need to move up to 1/2" drive to tackle bottom brackets.
Old 10-06-16, 08:39 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Harbor freight tools are pretty much complete cr*p in my experience.

If you get a click type wrench, make sure you treat it well, they will need recalibration by the manufacturer. They can, over time, under-torque as the spring wears. After each use you need to lower it to the lowest torque setting to prevent this.

You can calibrate beam type torque wrenches by yourself. However I find it hard to get consistent results, especially higher torques, but they do work and can be self-maintained.

The Park tools torque wrenches are very good. Unfortunately they have discontinued their beam type. But their click wrenches are very good.

Last edited by GeneO; 10-06-16 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-06-16, 09:52 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Performance Bike's house brand is on sale right now. I own this set.

Spin Doctor Torque Wrench Set

@GeneO is correct about setting it to zero when stored. I also set it down on its back, never with the drive portion face down.

Also recommend staying away from Harbor Freight. Bang it or drop it once and it is toast.

Effeto Mariposa makes very high end torque wrenches. I lust after these... https://www.effettomariposa.eu/en/cat...p/giustaforza/

-Tim-
Old 10-06-16, 09:54 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Here's a pretty good one for most bike stuff:
Link

Here's one for BBs, cassettes, etc.:
Link

Last edited by AnkleWork; 10-06-16 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-07-16, 07:09 AM
Monkey D.Luffy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Performance Bike's house brand is on sale right now. I own this set.

Spin Doctor Torque Wrench Set

@GeneO is correct about setting it to zero when stored. I also set it down on its back, never with the drive portion face down.

Also recommend staying away from Harbor Freight. Bang it or drop it once and it is toast.

Effeto Mariposa makes very high end torque wrenches. I lust after these... Giustaforza Family - Effetto Mariposa

-Tim-
Any opinion on this one? It looks almost the same as the Spin Doctor set. What kind of carbon grip paste do yall recommend too?
Old 10-07-16, 07:17 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Beam-type torque wrenches are less expensive, far less likely to go out of adjustment and are more rugged than click-type and are perfectly adequate for bicycle work since nothing is hidden and you can always see the wrench's reading.

Sears, Harbor Freight, and others sell decent beam wrenches. You need a 1/4" square drive wrench for low torque fasteners like handle bar clamps, seat post binders, etc. and a 1/2" square drive for high torque applications like bottom brackets, crank bolts and similar. A 3/8" square drive can be useful where the tho others don't overlap enough.
Old 10-07-16, 08:15 AM
veloz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
Ritchey torque keys are a great alternative. Trek-Bontrager make them too. The 1/4" Harbor Freight clicker wrench doesn't say high quality but checks accurate by me.
Old 10-07-16, 08:20 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
I've been very happy with this and different bits to connect to it and it's only $20:

Old 10-07-16, 08:32 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
I use a torque wrench with a socket, so that I with the proper bit I can torque hex, torx, whatever. I also have a dedicated 6mm, 6Nm (IIRC) tee-handle click wrench for my seat post. Convenient to have a dedicated wrench for common torques and nut sizes.

But I have proto and an sk 1/4" drive torque wrenches that handle most requirements. I bought a set of 1/4" drive hex sockets. I used a 1/4 socket with torx bits to tighten stuff like the chainring bolts on a Dura-Ace crank. Done with proper lubrication, this eliminates the clicking whilst pedaling. I bought these used and tested them with a lever and a precise weight. You're an engineer: you can figure out how to do this. But do check any used wrenches you buy for calibration.

I also have a Sturtevant Richmont beam type wrench in 1/4" drive. As others have pointed out, these are great for durability.

The brands I cite above, Proto, SK, and Sturtevant Richmont are very good tool brands and should last a lifetime of bike work. Snap On is great, too, but very very expensive.

You can buy (for 99 cents!) an MTB 6Nm tee-handle click wrench with three bits on ebay...

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 10-07-16 at 08:35 AM.
Old 10-07-16, 09:27 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Bike generally use two types of torque levels. The first is finger tight (~5 Nm) small allen screws (stem, seat post, etc). A fixed value torque is the only thing that works for these. Standard torque wrenches are too inconvenient and don't allow good access.

Then there the large torque items, cranks, BB, lock-rings. For these you want either a 3/8" or 1/2" drive torque wrench, beam or click. Wait until Sears has a good sale, Craftsman stuff is decent quality (but not shop grade) and affordable.

Depending on the type of maintenance you typically do, you might not need both types.
Old 10-07-16, 10:48 AM
nosloedone

Bikes: Surly LHT, Fuji Nevada (winter beater)

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Park TW5 and TW6 does it for me
Old 10-07-16, 10:51 AM
deex

Bikes: Giant TCR SL 1, Niner Air 9, Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have been using this. It is great and I don't fear it being out of whack.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 10-07-16, 11:03 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
I'd suggest (and I use) a 1/4" and a 3/8" drive click-type torque wrench from Harbor Freight or similar. They are available for $10 (sale) or $20 and are quite adequate for bike use; you are not working on aircraft or spacecraft.
But could be spending hundreds of dollars if you crack a carbon fiber part.

You will need to move up to 1/2" drive to tackle bottom brackets.
Bottom brackets and cassette lock rings are in the 35 - 60 Nm or 25 - 45 foot pound range which is still in 3/8" wrench territory, especially with micrometer style torque wrenches which aren't accurate in the bottom of their scale.

A longer handle is useful to break them loose, and you generally don't want to use a torque wrench like that.

( Split beam wrenches as made by Stahlwille and CDI unload the measuring mechanism after they click so that's OK; although we're talking $200 wrenches not $20, with getting a Stahlwille with that discount requiring ordering direct from Germany where cost is half US retail ).
Old 10-07-16, 11:16 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Originally Posted by gsa103
Bike generally use two types of torque levels. The first is finger tight (~5 Nm) small allen screws (stem, seat post, etc). A fixed value torque is the only thing that works for these. Standard torque wrenches are too inconvenient and don't allow good access.

This is not my experience. I've used a regular 1/4" drive torque wrench on bikes for years.

Originally Posted by Monkey D.Luffy
Any opinion on this one? It looks almost the same as the Spin Doctor set. What kind of carbon grip paste do yall recommend too?
The one I linked to in post number 4 is Spin Doctor. It is a good wrench and comes with bits. I got it for $59 on sale several years ago. There are many other good wrenches out there. I really think people overthink this.

Just watch out for poor quality wrenches which are not accurate at the bottom and top ends of the scale - check the +/- accuracy specs before buying. Take care of it - don't drop it or bang it, always set it down on it's back, reset it to zero when you are done using it and store it in a reasonably dry and temperature controlled space and you will be OK.

Finish Line, Park and any number of manufacturers make good paste. I asked the guys at the local Performance Bike and they scooped up a bunch into a ziplock bag for me. Again, it isn't a big deal and don't overthink it.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 10-07-16 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-07-16, 11:50 AM
nfmisso
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by deex

For bike work you need at least 2 torque wrenches. Something like the above with a full scale in the 10 to 15 N-m range, and something with a full scale in the 50 to 100 ft-lbs range. For the latter, Harbor Freight clicker is fine. For the former - make sure you get a good one.

standard ¼" torque wrenches are NOT precise enough for handle bar stems, etc.
Old 10-07-16, 01:29 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I like the Craftsman beam-type ones myself, too. One other benefit is that you have a visual reference as you approach the right torque, rather than just tighter-tighter-tighter-CLICK.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-07-16, 04:59 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked 2,830 Times in 1,545 Posts
Originally Posted by deex

I like that ...just ordered one

Old 10-07-16, 07:11 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
Cheap tools aren't cheap in the long-run. They cost you more money in broken tools, broken fasteners and stripped components. As far as torque wrenches, buy a good one. Why tighten the bolt on a $300 part with a $10 dollar torque wrench; or a $5,000.00 carbon frame??? That makes no sense. If you strip out that $300 component (or crack that carbon component/frame), you are now in the hole a lot of money. Good torque wrenches, in the scheme of things, aren't that expensive.

I have this one. It's a CDI ($54.00) and is variable from 2 to 8 Nm's, is made by Snap On to. You will have confidence using one this this:
CDI TorqControl 2 - 8 Nm Torque Wrench - TLA28NM

I also have one of these. For you use, handlebars, seat post, etc, this may be the better option. It's an Effetto Mariposa-Giustaforza, the best there is for working on bikes. This one isn't cheap ($125.00) but when I really want accuracy, I reach for this every time. No need to spend more for the pro model as this one works just fine:
Effetto Mariposa Giustaforza II 2-16 Deluxe Torque Wrench - Black (Includes Bits) | ProBikeKit.com

If you need to go beyond 16 Nm's, then you're probably talking more expensive and bigger parts. In that case, I'd shop for a used Snap On 3/8" drive dial-type torque wrench on eBay.

-

Last edited by drlogik; 10-07-16 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-07-16, 07:11 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by gsa103
I've also never had any problems using a 1/4" sq drive regular beam wrench and allen bit sockets on any of these fittings.
Old 10-07-16, 07:21 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I like the Craftsman beam-type ones myself, too. One other benefit is that you have a visual reference as you approach the right torque, rather than just tighter-tighter-tighter-CLICK.
+1, and they have a life time guarantee.

Plus-----------with the beam type you can bring the torque up to spec in steps. Example if the recommended torque is 30 foot pounds, on a 4 bolt clamp, do 10 FP and then 20 FP and then finally the full 30 foot pounds.
Old 10-07-16, 08:49 PM
deex

Bikes: Giant TCR SL 1, Niner Air 9, Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Sometimes an inexpensive and simple tool is all that is needed. If you wrench on a bike as a professional then yes buy the expensive stuff. If you just need to adjust your seat post then a really expensive tool is overkill. When it comes to cheaper tools I opt for the less complicated ones as they will have less of a chance to malfunction.
Old 10-07-16, 08:51 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by drlogik
Cheap tools aren't cheap in the long-run. They cost you more money in broken tools, broken fasteners and stripped components. As far as torque wrenches, buy a good one. Why tighten the bolt on a $300 part with a $10 dollar torque wrench; or a $5,000.00 carbon frame??? That makes no sense. If you strip out that $300 component (or crack that carbon component/frame), you are now in the hole a lot of money. Good torque wrenches, in the scheme of things, aren't that expensive.

I have this one. It's a CDI ($54.00) and is variable from 2 to 8 Nm's, is made by Snap On to. You will have confidence using one this this:
CDI TorqControl 2 - 8 Nm Torque Wrench - TLA28NM

I also have one of these. For you use, handlebars, seat post, etc, this may be the better option. It's an Effetto Mariposa-Giustaforza, the best there is for working on bikes. This one isn't cheap ($125.00) but when I really want accuracy, I reach for this every time. No need to spend more for the pro model as this one works just fine:
Effetto Mariposa Giustaforza II 2-16 Deluxe Torque Wrench - Black (Includes Bits) | ProBikeKit.com

If you need to go beyond 16 Nm's, then you're probably talking more expensive and bigger parts. In that case, I'd shop for a used Snap On 3/8" drive dial-type torque wrench on eBay.

-
The CDI is nice. Thanks for pointing it out.

I should have gotten the Giustaforza II a long time ago and this thread has me thinking about springing for one. PBK has an attractive price.

Thanks again.

-Tim-
Old 10-08-16, 04:57 PM
Doc V

Bikes: Novara Trenta Road, Trek ZX6000 MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have used the Nashbar Torque Wrench with good results. It is not too expensive and works.
Old 10-09-16, 08:50 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
All but the beam-type require periodic recalibration. It's an added expense to consider.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.