Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Tilting seat post mount

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Tilting seat post mount

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-11, 09:49 PM
Cyclebum

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tilting seat post mount

I want a post mount that will tilt back and forth, depending on my position. Upright, it would tilt back a little, stretched out, forward a little. Maybe a spring action to reduce horn pressure automatically.

Is this too far out? Unreasonable? Would there be a market? Would I be the sole customer? Would you buy one too? Is there such a thing?
Old 03-22-11, 10:53 PM
Camel
Caffeinated.

Bikes: Waterford 1900, Quintana Roo Borrego, Trek 8700zx, Bianchi Pista Concept

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't know that there is such a thing.

CranBrothers makes a seat post with a remote adjuster button you can attach to your handlebar. I think this post only adjusts up/down.
Old 03-23-11, 12:01 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
either consider a vastly different frame.. Bernie Mikkelsen has a ride around bike to adjust lengths and angles to design a custom frame by riding an adjustable one 1st.

Or, you might adopt some Brompton parts.. their Saddle adapter pin clamps on top of a plain seatpost.
theirs or something else.. It offers a horizontal tube

then you clamp a saddle clip onto the SAP,or on the seat post ..

Brompton has also made a nice saddleclip, so It allows a vast variety of angles . stepless and mostly aluminum.
Old 03-23-11, 04:15 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
WHY would you want something like that? I think I'd find it incredibly annoying. I have a suspension seatpost on our tandem that goes down and back when it engages. If it does it unexpectedly, it really throws me off my pedal stroke. I suspect a seatpost like what you describe would have the same effect.
Old 03-23-11, 04:35 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclebum
I want a post mount that will tilt back and forth, depending on my position. Upright, it would tilt back a little, stretched out, forward a little. Maybe a spring action to reduce horn pressure automatically.

Is this too far out? Unreasonable? Would there be a market? Would I be the sole customer? Would you buy one too? Is there such a thing?
I doubt that such a thing currently exists. I personally would have no use for one and doubt that there would be a market, but who knows...
Old 03-23-11, 06:31 AM
Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
So what would be the difference between this and a loose seat? Most riders complain when the tension bolt on the rails isn`t tightened enough and the teat can rock while they`re riding.
Old 03-23-11, 07:31 AM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
I think the closest you could get is a Thudbuster. It's actually a suspension seatpost, but it moves at a diagonal rather than straight up and down.

Another option might be a "noseless" saddle. However, keep in mind that most people use the nose of the saddle to steer the bike, so it will take some getting used to.
Old 03-23-11, 08:17 AM
Cyclebum

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The idea came about because when I stretch out a bit, especially when using the aeros, the pressure from the horn becomes really annoying. If I tilt the saddle down to fix that problem, when I sit more upright, the downward tilt is annoying. Figured others must experience the same sort of irritation with a fixed tilt.

I think a spring action mount would work, but as there is no such thing, and I'm no engineer, guess I'll continue to be annoyed.
Old 03-23-11, 09:09 AM
xyzzy834

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclebum
The idea came about because when I stretch out a bit, especially when using the aeros, the pressure from the horn becomes really annoying. If I tilt the saddle down to fix that problem, when I sit more upright, the downward tilt is annoying. Figured others must experience the same sort of irritation with a fixed tilt.
I had the same problem.

I fixed it by dumping my (almost) universally vaunted Brooks B17 and switching to saddles that were almost dead level from nose to back. The B17 has a pronounced ramp near the rear, especially when being sat on. It's also a bit slippery because of the smooth leather. To compensate, most people set the Brooks up with the nose slightly elevated, like this:

That creates the "hammock" for the sit bones that lots of people like. I don't because of the pressure of the nose when I'm in the drops. I don't like the B17 tilted down where the nose is more level because I slide forward when I'm on the tops.

I solved the problem for myself by switching to saddles that are nearly level from nose to rear. These saddles give me much more of a feeling of my sit bones being perched on top rather than squashed into the saddle. I use a Selle San Marco Rolls for my touring bike:

and Selle Sam Marco Regal saddles for my sportier bikes:

I actually get a level out to set them up level to the ground. I've been much happier with the way they work for me.
Old 03-23-11, 09:24 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
There Was a Campagnolo seat post designed by engineers ,
that were not from Mount Tamalpais region.
[& didn't ride off road , more than maybe a Cross Race .. perhaps]
they at the time had a 1 bolt stepless seat post to saddle rail mech,
and learned about .. mountain bikes have a QR seat post
so they thought ... quick release seat post?, and so machined a nice Mountain bike long seatpost with a QR lever on that 1 bolt..

Now, that would be an example of a no tool seat angle adjustment..