Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Maxipad

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Maxipad

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-11, 02:24 PM
yiffzer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find it interesting that I was only able to get a handful of actual mature responses. The pads themselves aren't grotesque at all. Sure they were designed for a specific purpose but as it goes in real life, an object can be used for just about anything (i.e. a rock could be used to start fires). Because I was having a temporary issue with discomfort, the pad helped at the moment. I was able to go 10 miles of riding without feeling much discomfort as opposed to feeling the pain after 2 miles if I hadn't used the pad. For some reason, people fear that because pads are for women only, men would be shunned for using it. Well, I say real men have confidence and will use whatever makes them feel comfortable. If you fear that someone might catch you wearing a pad, then I question your motive (why would someone see you wear a pad in the first place?). Silliness.
Old 07-29-11, 02:33 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Originally Posted by yiffzer
I find it interesting that I was only able to get a handful of actual mature responses. The pads themselves aren't grotesque at all. Sure they were designed for a specific purpose but as it goes in real life, an object can be used for just about anything (i.e. a rock could be used to start fires). Because I was having a temporary issue with discomfort, the pad helped at the moment. I was able to go 10 miles of riding without feeling much discomfort as opposed to feeling the pain after 2 miles if I hadn't used the pad. For some reason, people fear that because pads are for women only, men would be shunned for using it. Well, I say real men have confidence and will use whatever makes them feel comfortable. If you fear that someone might catch you wearing a pad, then I question your motive (why would someone see you wear a pad in the first place?). Silliness.
It was a novel idea that most of us had never heard of.

Old 07-29-11, 03:06 PM
dengidog

Bikes: Habanero Titanium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, I have to admit my first reaction was "Ewwwww". Really, all it really is is a wad of absorbent cotton. Heck, is it any stranger than the unnatural bulges and lumps of cycling shorts? It's not like anyone is going to look to see if you're wearing "manly" chamois or a girly pad. I'm too long in the tooth to really care what others think if something works.

A bit unusual, but why not?
Old 07-29-11, 03:15 PM
thompsonpost

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by yiffzer
Next time you go get some more pads, see if you can find thicker skin as well. Nyuk, nyuk.

Old 07-29-11, 04:16 PM
yiffzer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 to dengidog.

I just started cycling, thompson -- I'll get thicker skin sooner or later.
Old 07-29-11, 07:51 PM
wnylogo

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Dad told me most of the men in his infantry wore sanitary napkins in their boots for long marches. He served in Europe during WWII.
Old 07-30-11, 01:22 AM
Camel
Caffeinated.

Bikes: Waterford 1900, Quintana Roo Borrego, Trek 8700zx, Bianchi Pista Concept

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by himespau
I'd heard of them as useful for road rash type injuries, but not as a moisture regulation. Think I'll keep my chamois, thanks.
+1

Also handy as trauma dressings.
Old 07-30-11, 02:22 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
The irony of all this is that a TV ad is airing here in Australia that shows "alternative" uses for pads. A guy ends up doing ninja type moves with pads stuck all over his arms, hards, head and torso... only to get caught out by his girlfriend walking through the front door with her parents. It might have been slightly humorous the first time, but isn't anymore.

Glad to read the OP is getting a B17 and bike shorts. Hopefully, they will relieve the problems with perineum chafe.
Old 08-05-11, 08:26 PM
Big Lew
Fraser Valley Dave

Bikes: devinci monaco (upgraded)

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A comfortable saddle, quality padded cycling shorts, and a sprinkling of corn starch on the pad (clean with disinfectant everyday to control bacteria) works for me.