Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Penetrating oil

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Penetrating oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-17, 09:01 AM
Ol Danl

Bikes: 1977 Raleigh Record, 1987 Schwinn Prelude, 1971 Raleigh Record, 1988 Schwinn Traveler, 1967 (?) Carlton Super Course, 1959 Huffy Sportsman 3 speed, 1972 Raleigh Super Course, yet another 70-something Raleigh Record

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Penetrating oil

Liquid Wrench, PB Blaster, other penetrating oils -- for many years I have been using them with the assumption that they have some acidic, or otherwise corrosive component, that breaks down corrosion. Not sure how I arrived at this idea, no doubt someone else told me. And I've never thought they should be left as a final lubricant, or that not applying some other lube would leave ferrous metal in jeopardy of some long term damage from them. Is there any truth to this, or am I just wrong (again), and these penetrating oils work through some other action?
Old 12-07-17, 09:20 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6187 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
Never heard anything about acids. But your hands have acids on them and some claim that enough to damage bearings if you don't wash your hands before handling them. I don't keep up with it now, but when I was young, that was a common position in the aircraft mechanic conversations and racing circles. This was before the days of computer bulletin boards and forums.

Since you are asking about all, then I won't say for certain, but I doubt most use acids. They just have a particular formula of oils and modifiers that help the oil penetrate and spread instead of staying in a blob.

But since they are so light, obviously their lubricating properties may not be adequate for the part you put them on. Then the question becomes is there enough of the thinner penetrating oil left to dilute the other lubricant significantly or will the coating of penetrating oil prevent the grease from clinging to the bearing surface and doing what it is supposed to do.

Most of the website for those penetrating oils have a good write up about them. sometime you have to dig a little and even look at the MSDS data or such.

And don't forget about Kroil. Sometimes it works when the others fail.
Old 12-07-17, 09:22 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6214 Post(s)
Liked 4,212 Times in 2,361 Posts
Originally Posted by Ol Danl
Liquid Wrench, PB Blaster, other penetrating oils -- for many years I have been using them with the assumption that they have some acidic, or otherwise corrosive component, that breaks down corrosion. Not sure how I arrived at this idea, no doubt someone else told me. And I've never thought they should be left as a final lubricant, or that not applying some other lube would leave ferrous metal in jeopardy of some long term damage from them. Is there any truth to this, or am I just wrong (again), and these penetrating oils work through some other action?
Penetrating oils are just a low viscosity oils. Nothing corrosive in them. Most rust and corrosion has a lower density than the metal it forms from so the oil penetrates into the threads and lubricates them. This allows the parts to be separated because they can now slide past each other.

Iron oxidation (aka "rust") has a very porous nature so the oil can penetrate into it better than other kinds of oxidation. Rust is also softer than the metal it is formed from so it tends to break when force is put on it. If the iron parts can slide past each other, they can come apart easier.

Aluminum oxidation products, for example, are extremely hard and many even be nonporous. Think anodized aluminum. The aluminum oxide is also much harder than the underlying metal so it doesn't break and slide as easily. Penetration oils often don't work on aluminum parts for this reason.

You could leave the oil in place as it will still lubricate but the oil is so low a viscosity that it will eventually flow away or evaporate. Putting something like grease on the threads after you've gotten them apart will go a lot further towards keeping the parts from welding back together.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-07-17, 09:28 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
I have a 70s British sports car with chrome and stainless wire wheels. Every year before winter storage, I coat the wheels liberally with WD-40, and leave it so all winter. I bought those wheels in 1995, they still look new. Never heard of any instance of WD-40 actually harming metal surfaces. Not sure on PB Blaster, my first choice on seized hardware.
Tim
Old 12-07-17, 09:35 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
There are "penetrating oils" that are more than low viscosity oil. "Ed's Red" was developed as a target rifle bore cleaner but has a great reputation as a penetrating oil. It's an equal volume mix of Kerosine (or OMS), Dexron ATF and Acetone. However, as noted above, no acids of any kind.
Old 12-07-17, 09:35 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
Cyccommute's answer is way better then mine. I'd go with that. Tim
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 12-07-17, 09:47 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
And don't forget about Kroil. Sometimes it works when the others fail.
Kroil is my first choice, I don't even bother with the others.
Old 12-07-17, 10:06 AM
Ol Danl

Bikes: 1977 Raleigh Record, 1987 Schwinn Prelude, 1971 Raleigh Record, 1988 Schwinn Traveler, 1967 (?) Carlton Super Course, 1959 Huffy Sportsman 3 speed, 1972 Raleigh Super Course, yet another 70-something Raleigh Record

Sometimes I have come up with these ideas, and hold on to them forever, and have no idea how I got them. Sounds like this one is wrong. It's good to know -- I may have avoided using penetrating oil for this reason, and didn't need to. Thanks, folks.
Likes For Ol Danl:
Old 12-07-17, 03:14 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
i use a light coating of PB to remove/reduce Aluminum oxide on parts all the time... no ill effects, and the parts look MUCH BETTER!
Old 12-07-17, 03:23 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Try getting the Product Safety Manual print out for them , it should list whats in it.
Old 12-07-17, 04:21 PM
Ol Danl

Thanks again -- looked up the MSDS for Liquid Wrench, PB Blaster, and Aero Kroil. Under ph, for each of them, it said N/A -- so, obviously not an issue.
Old 12-07-17, 04:22 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Not exactly sure what you are asking, but from my experience, penetrating oil do nothing to "break free" seized bolts, seat posts, ... but once free, the oil helps lubricating the parts, for easier disassembly.
Old 12-07-17, 05:32 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6214 Post(s)
Liked 4,212 Times in 2,361 Posts
Thanks again -- looked up the MSDS for Liquid Wrench, PB Blaster, and Aero Kroil. Under ph, for each of them, it said N/A -- so, obviously not an issue.
In these cases, I sure that the NA means "not applicable" rather than "not available". They would have no pH since they are neither acidic nor basic nor can even ionize.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 12-08-17, 10:17 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Penetrating oils are just a low viscosity oils. Nothing corrosive in them. Most rust and corrosion has a lower density than the metal it forms from so the oil penetrates into the threads and lubricates them. This allows the parts to be separated because they can now slide past each other.

Iron oxidation (aka "rust") has a very porous nature so the oil can penetrate into it better than other kinds of oxidation. Rust is also softer than the metal it is formed from so it tends to break when force is put on it. If the iron parts can slide past each other, they can come apart easier.

Aluminum oxidation products, for example, are extremely hard and many even be nonporous. Think anodized aluminum. The aluminum oxide is also much harder than the underlying metal so it doesn't break and slide as easily. Penetration oils often don't work on aluminum parts for this reason.

You could leave the oil in place as it will still lubricate but the oil is so low a viscosity that it will eventually flow away or evaporate. Putting something like grease on the threads after you've gotten them apart will go a lot further towards keeping the parts from welding back together.
I noticed over many threads your answers are always very thorough, scientific and spot-on. Sounds you have a good engineering and science background. I sometimes find myself scrolling through a thread to your reply because it usually resolves the whole problem.
Likes For HerrKaLeun:
Old 12-08-17, 11:28 PM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
PH is based on water. Since the lubes have no water (thus anhydrous) , there is no pH.
Likes For CycleryNorth81:
Old 12-09-17, 10:35 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Aluminum oxidation products, for example, are extremely hard and many even be nonporous. Think anodized aluminum. The aluminum oxide is also much harder than the underlying metal so it doesn't break and slide as easily.
Agree. A class of Al2O3 is called corundum. And beryls, rubies, and sapphires are all in the corundum class. Also, the grit on most sandpaper is corundum.

BTW, in at least one test (and I don't think its apochryfal), a 50:50 mix of ATF and acetone worked better than any pre-made product. But the acetone will strip your paint. I think a product called Kroil was the best commercial penetrating oil.
Old 12-09-17, 04:26 PM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by tkamd73
I have a 70s British sports car with chrome and stainless wire wheels. Every year before winter storage, I coat the wheels liberally with WD-40, and leave it so all winter. I bought those wheels in 1995, they still look new. Never heard of any instance of WD-40 actually harming metal surfaces. Not sure on PB Blaster, my first choice on seized hardware.
Tim

The WD in WD-40 stands for "water displacing formulation #40" It was specifically developed to get and keep moisture out of equipment. It's fairly ineffective as a penetrating oil except in relatively undemanding circumstances.

It's also great as a cutting lubricant /coolant when drilling, taping and machining aluminum. (just don't make the mistake of using it on steel particularly with a tap!)

BITD I ran a ceramics plant. We had lots of water around machinery so used a lot of it. I had to keep it locked up because it kept disappearing. Turned out some of the older women on the lines though it was good as an arthritis treatment.

They'd heard it fixed squeaking joints.

Best penetrating oil I ever got my hands on was some sort of aircraft hydraulic fluid that was repackaged and sold as penetrating oil. That stuff was like magic so of course you can't get it anymore.

Liquid wrench seems to be about as good as there is out there now. Also works as a tapping fluid for steel and stainless steel. Not as good as the old Carbon Tet based fluids though.

Last edited by TGT1; 12-09-17 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-09-17, 04:30 PM
Don Buska

Location: Milwaukee-Chicago (Last stop on the North Shore Metra Line)

Bikes: 1975 Fuji 'The Finest', 1975 Fuji Super Road Racer S10-S,1980 SR 10-Speed, 1980 Fuji Newest, 1984 Araya 14-Speed, 1985 Bridgestone 500, 1986 Fuji 'Sekkei Series', 1995 Gary Fisher Kaitai MTB

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Introduced to Kroil a couple of years ago. THE BEST - darn thing is it's been around forever
Old 12-09-17, 04:44 PM
Binky

Bikes: Too, too many....

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 57 Posts

And of course, the VERY best penetrating oil by far, a mixture of 50% ATF & 50% Acetone.

Old 12-09-17, 04:50 PM
Binky

And of course, the VERY best penetrating oil by far, a mixture of 50% ATF & 50% Acetone.

Old 12-09-17, 04:54 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
+1 for Kano's Kroil. The best there is. Is also the best gun bore solvent made. Lifts lead and copper residue off of a gun barrel in one swipe by breaking the bond from the metal of the gun barrel. It is not an acidic chemical.

Kroil also works well on spoke nipples that are stuck or cotter pins on cottered cranks, stuck nuts, etc.
Old 12-09-17, 10:31 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Not exactly sure what you are asking, but from my experience, penetrating oil do nothing to "break free" seized bolts, seat posts, ... but once free, the oil helps lubricating the parts, for easier disassembly.

Patience, Dan... Patience...... and there's a point of no return for rusted stuff...

Last edited by maddog34; 12-09-17 at 10:44 PM.
Old 03-24-19, 02:42 AM
GrantFlower

Bikes: CharlesraP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
There are "penetrating oils" that are more than low viscosity oil. "Ed's Red" was developed as a target rifle bore cleaner but has a great reputation. It's an equal volume mix of Kerosine (or OMS), Dexron ATF and Acetone. However, as noted above, no acids of any kind.
Old 03-24-19, 10:29 AM
le mans
Steel is real

Bikes: Custom - Record Vortex 8 spd Nexus & Mistral Le Mans 3 spd Shimano. Giant Kronos. Raliegh Single Speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Binky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CESDxCloCoQ

I haven't had much joy with that far as seized stems go
Old 03-24-19, 11:18 AM
Binky

Originally Posted by le mans
I haven't had much joy with that far as seized stems go
So far I have been lucky but on the rare occasion that penetrants have not worked, I have always had success with carefully thinning the wall of the stem with a drill and PATIENTLY using a hacksaw blade to further weaken the walls of the stem until it comes free.
Works with alloy stems and with alloy seat posts..... but i have never had to try it on steel.

Bink

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.