Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Introduce Yourselves!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-06, 10:07 PM
Eric Redard

Bikes: Borrowed Specialized Secteur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Hey FormerBMX'er

I look forward to riding this year with CRW. I have in the past rode with them on Weds nights and some Sats. Will look forward to seeing you there sometime... not Saturday... too cold, and I have a funeral.

Drop me a PM as to where you live... I'm in Reading. Maybe we can ride sometime.

Peace.
Eric
Old 03-08-06, 12:55 PM
thewon

Bikes: OCR Limited, Specialized Stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Started road cycling a week ago as a Clydesdale....250LB, 5'10. The goal is to be at 199 by Sept 1 (-8.5 per month), and 185 by Dec 1, 2006.

Bike-Med Giant OCR Limited-the bike seems to be awesome to this road cycling newbie.

3/8/06 After Week one and 36 Miles 247 LBS (-3 LBS). 3/8/06

3/15/06 After Week two and 12 Miles 244 LBS (-3, -6 total). 3/15/06

I welcome anyone to track their weekly progress. See you next week!

theWon..

Last edited by thewon; 03-20-06 at 04:43 PM.
Old 03-08-06, 05:21 PM
taddyangle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello,

I just started biking last month and I love it. I am at 242 lbs now and riding a Motobecane I purchased from a internet bike dealer. Becasue of my weight I was concerned about popping spokes, as I have read that this is a problem. Only at a 125 miles and all is well. I need some maintenace tips:

When should I take the bike in for a tune up (how many miles)?

How many miles should I get on my tires before they need to be changed?

I am riding American Classic 420 and they advertise no weight limit, anyone have problems with these rims?

Thanks
Old 03-08-06, 05:41 PM
nate c

Bikes: Soma Smoothie ES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
taddyangle -

Great job getting out. Regarding tune up, if it aint broke (or doesn't creak, rattle, wobble or fall off) don't sweat it. Otherwise, maybe once each year in the spring most LBS will have tune up specials. Better yet if you are a diy'er pickup 'Zinn and the art of road bike maintenance' by Leonard Zinn. Great book and will walk you thru most things you are likely to do .

Re mileage - check them regularly for imbedded rocks, chunks of road debris, etc and you can avoid alot of punctures. Also when you are looking at them if one wears faster than the other swap the front for the back. Depending on your riding style you may wear one faster than the other. (big guys that pull big hills all the time can wear the rear tread, skittish overbraking will wear the front). I'm 205~ and get 700 miles or more out of a good pair of 25C continentals.

hth

Last edited by nate c; 03-08-06 at 05:42 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-09-06, 03:09 AM
slowrider1

Bikes: Sun EZ-3 SX Delta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my first bike, and still a great ride....cromo Trek 830 (1990). changed the gearing, pedals, bars and tires.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PC030020 (Small).JPG (50.6 KB, 109 views)
Old 03-09-06, 10:11 AM
FormerBMX'er

Bikes: 2011 Tsunami, 2004 Fuji Team Issue and More!!!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Eric Redard
Hey FormerBMX'er

I look forward to riding this year with CRW. I have in the past rode with them on Weds nights and some Sats. Will look forward to seeing you there sometime... not Saturday... too cold, and I have a funeral.

Drop me a PM as to where you live... I'm in Reading. Maybe we can ride sometime.

Peace.
Eric
I'm in Brighton so we'll see what we can do about rides. I've been chatting with another BF member (Buzzman) about doing a ride. He lives in Newton I think, so maybe the three of us can work something out. I'll drop you line if something go's down.
Old 03-10-06, 12:10 PM
bikingbrad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbossman
No problem. Just start riding frequent short trips, and you'll get your body used to it faster than you think. One sunny day you'll go out for a short loop and cover 20-30 miles cuz you're feeling good and the weather's nice, and it'll seem like you've only been out for 10 minutes.
Well, it wasn't nice and sunny, but I rode my first 20-miler yesterday and it felt great! I could have gone more but had to get back for an appointment. I'm feeling it today, but can't wait to get back on the bike and see if I can do 30 now! Thanks for all the inspiration in this thread. Officially down 5 lbs today, but very solidly in the Clydesdale category.
Old 03-11-06, 11:12 PM
C_Heath
Its Freakin HammerTime!!!

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix and Giant AnthemX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Im 199 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cya clydesdales!!!!!!

Hopefully, I wont be back (to over 200 that is)

https://www.xxcycle.com/logo_w150h100/bmc.jpg
Old 03-13-06, 08:04 PM
rede2cycle

Bikes: 2005 caad4 cannondale r600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As of this morning I am 257 lbs. I went on my longest ride yet Sunday. I went on an 1 1/2 hr 16.5 mile ride. Is that a pretty good time? Enjoyed the ride except my ASS hurts. I have a cannondale r600 with a SELLE ITALIA saddle. Should iI get a new saddle or will it feel better as i ride more?
Old 03-13-06, 08:13 PM
Primetime75

Bikes: Felt F65 / Raliegh M80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just wanted to say hello to the others like me.

Rockin' a Felt F65. Stock except for my terry fly saddle. Love it. Comfy and soft in the right areas.

6'2 3bills. Riding this bike for a month on stock wheels with no problems to report.

To fellow Clyde's keep rollin and tell the light weights to move.
Old 03-13-06, 10:03 PM
OrionKhan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rede2cycle
As of this morning I am 257 lbs. I went on my longest ride yet Sunday. I went on an 1 1/2 hr 16.5 mile ride. Is that a pretty good time? Enjoyed the ride except my ASS hurts. I have a cannondale r600 with a SELLE ITALIA saddle. Should iI get a new saddle or will it feel better as i ride more?
A new saddle might help. As will a good pair of cycling shorts. If its hurting after your ride, then it will probably get better as you ride more. If you're noticing a specific place rubbing then try different shorts, then the saddle.
Old 03-13-06, 10:33 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingbrad
Well, it wasn't nice and sunny, but I rode my first 20-miler yesterday and it felt great! I could have gone more but had to get back for an appointment. I'm feeling it today, but can't wait to get back on the bike and see if I can do 30 now! Thanks for all the inspiration in this thread. Officially down 5 lbs today, but very solidly in the Clydesdale category.
Told ya.....

I went out for a quick 20 last Saturday, and had 46 on the trip meter when I finally hit my driveway.

S. J. Perelman
Old 03-14-06, 01:03 AM
neilG

Bikes: Madone, De Rosa, Langster, old Brit track iron

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by thewon
Started road cycling a week ago as a Clydesdale....250LB, 5'10. The goal is to be at 199 by Sept 1 (-8.5 per month), and 185 by Dec 1, 2006.
Bike-Med OCR Limited-the bike seems to be awesome to this road cycling newbie.
After Week One and 36 Miles 247 LBS (-3 LBS).
I welcome anyone to track their weekly progress. See you next week!
theWon..
Hey Won,
I'm not quite a Clydesdale but I used to be. 195 down from 255. I live right off the Avenue in Ventura if you are interested in riding some time. Mostly during the day.
Old 03-17-06, 06:50 AM
Bandusa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
205 down from 275 in three years. Aiming for 185. Can do it. I just started riding because the community I lioved in did a lot of riding and I was new to the community. Alwyas loved riding back in the late 1980's I was even trying to get on a U23 team or Junior Team. That was back when schwin and friction shifters were cool. Now I am racing as a grad student in the NCCA races. I am on a Specilaized Roubaix Comp and a sleek fast 2006 S-Worka Tarmac SL which I won last year in a sweepstakes. Sweet. I weight train and once a week now that the season is warming up. Helps shed pounds.
Old 03-17-06, 07:50 AM
Mariner Fan
59'er

Bikes: LeMond Maillot Jaune, Vintage Trek 520 (1985), 1976 Schwinn Voyageur 2, Miyata 1000 (1985)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rede2cycle
As your legs get stronger you will be riding lighter on the saddle. I just bought a new saddle and will not decide if it's right for me until I get into shape. I have a group of friends that share the passion for road cycling, and we will swap saddles (just for a ride) to see if one feels better on the bottom than another.
You can go to the saddle swap thread if you find one that works better for you.
Old 03-17-06, 02:19 PM
lmittner

Bikes: Jamis Hybrid; Diamondback Master

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am new to the forum and new to road cycles. Started commuting to work (10 miles each way) the first of the year 2 or 3 days per week on a hybrid. Getting in longer rides on the weekend. I am 6'0" and down from 323 in Jan to 294 today.

Got my first road bike this week and had my first 30 mile ride last night. What a difference from the hybrid! I love it! Diamondback Master frame with 105 components and Ultegra 9 speed cassette. Neuvation M 28 A wheels and True Temper Pro Q forks. $800 from the LBS.

Training for the MS 150 Tour in Miami the first weekend in May. Going for my longest ride to date (60 miles tomorrow).
Old 03-17-06, 03:52 PM
bilboinsa

Bikes: Trek 2300 Roadie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What a forum! And WHAT a THREAD!!!

At 275lbs., I have to do something. Fighting trim is 220. I had some great friends that I used to ride with--did a 150 3 years in a row. I even bought a great bike (Trek 2300) for the sport. Then, the friends moved away. I used that as an excuse to fall into laziness. I still remember how great riding felt--and how "in tune" I could be with the way my body was feeling. Well, I am gonna have that again. Today, I put the carrier back on my car--it sux that there has been so much development in my area, that now I would be kinda scared to hit the first 5 miles of my rides on the bike.

So, Clydesdale here, heading towards leaner, meaner Clydesdale status! But after reading this thread, Ima skeered my bike will fall apart!

Again, you guys have made a great forum! Thanks a lot!

Last edited by bilboinsa; 03-17-06 at 04:59 PM.
Old 03-17-06, 10:57 PM
Swimjim

Bikes: Klein Quantum, Sanwa, Schwinn Le Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Height 5' 11". Winter weight 235. Riding season 220. Hills, I'll kick just about anyones butt in season. Locals anyway. The greyhounds get me in the flats though. Once it starts to push the high 20 mph zone I have trouble keeping up. Main ride, 2002 Klein Quantum. 105 equipt. Back up, Ancient Schwinn Tempo. My sleeper. I've embarrassed more then a few greyhounds with this bike. It makes it sweeter that I paid fifteen dollars for it and I can smoke guys on Sevens with it. Ha!

Jim
Old 03-20-06, 11:16 AM
scarry
Bent_Rider

Bikes: Bacchetta Aero, BikeE, Bruce Gordon Rock n Road

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I managed to offend a Clydesdale. I was attempting (lamely as it turned out) to complament a big fellow on the road. I commented that riding behind him was like having a tree moving down the road ahead of me. Good draft and all that. But he took it all wrong and replied that he felt insulted, very insulted. Not my intent at all. I appoligized and said it was a misunderstanding, then dropped him. I considered letting him pass me up the hill, (too massage his ego) but couldn't ride that slow.

But really, I didn't know you big fellows bruised so easily. I hate to see a large grown man cry.

So I'm a lousy comedian, shoot me.
Old 03-20-06, 01:13 PM
huskerpat

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Add me to the club. I've just started cycling in an attempt to lose weight. Currently down to 245 and am 5'10". Under 200 is healthy for me, so that's the goal. I turned 30 last year and the need to be healthier hit me pretty hard...so here I am.
Old 03-20-06, 03:37 PM
Dubbayoo

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dmaclaren
5'8" 206 as of this morning. I don't think I look as bad as that sounds.
Funny, I say the same thing at 5'8, 240. I mean you could be Barry Sanders.
Old 03-20-06, 05:24 PM
metal_cowboy

Bikes: Rivendell Atlantis, Rivendell Rambouillet, Co Motion Big A,l Klein Adroit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scarry
I managed to offend a Clydesdale. I was attempting (lamely as it turned out) to complament a big fellow on the road. I commented that riding behind him was like having a tree moving down the road ahead of me. Good draft and all that. But he took it all wrong and replied that he felt insulted, very insulted. Not my intent at all. I appoligized and said it was a misunderstanding, then dropped him. I considered letting him pass me up the hill, (too massage his ego) but couldn't ride that slow.

But really, I didn't know you big fellows bruised so easily. I hate to see a large grown man cry.

So I'm a lousy comedian, shoot me.
You are lucky he did not pull you over and shove your bike up your backside. Had it been me, you would shifting gears and wiping your butt all in one motion.

Here is a bit of advice; Clydesdale's do not like having wheel-suckers climbing up their rear wheel just because it is a "good draft". Neither do tandem riders for that matter.

Last edited by metal_cowboy; 03-20-06 at 05:32 PM.
Old 03-20-06, 06:46 PM
scarry
Bent_Rider

Bikes: Bacchetta Aero, BikeE, Bruce Gordon Rock n Road

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wasn't drafting him. I passed him. After I got ahead of him, I even slowed my pace to let him on my wheel, but he just kept getting smaller in my mirror.

What's with the threat's? Do all you big fella's really have such thin skin?

Originally Posted by metal_cowboy
You are lucky he did not pull you over and shove your bike up your backside. Had it been me, you would shifting gears and wiping your butt all in one motion.

Here is a bit of advice; Clydesdale's do not like having wheel-suckers climbing up their rear wheel just because it is a "good draft". Neither do tandem riders for that matter.
Old 03-20-06, 09:36 PM
bilboinsa

Bikes: Trek 2300 Roadie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, Scarry, "we" don't..from me you would have gotten a big chuckle. My spacial mass took our pace line a long ways into coastal breezes, and I was happy to do it. Often more than 3 times the normal 60 sec. or so. A funny "badge" if you will.

Everyone is dif and has dif skin thickness. No biggie...
Old 03-20-06, 10:44 PM
mrog71

Bikes: 2005 Giant OCR3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by metal_cowboy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.