Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Oslo: The Journey to Car Free

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Oslo: The Journey to Car Free

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-17, 06:20 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
They are also car-free by necessity and not because they want to be...When those people in India come over to North America or Europe their bus surfing and train surfing days are over and they buy a car as soon as they can afford one.
I think they outlawed riding on the tops of trains... too many deaths.
Old 06-30-17, 06:26 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
I often wonder how much of that is wishful thinking and how much is predictive. Here is what Forbes thinks about China and the direction they are going.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jackper.../#47622b985389
and Forbes on India: Indian automotive industry: The road ahead | Forbes India Blog

China could easily double car sales making it twice as big as the US market numerically.
The Forbes article said the growth slowed quite a bit in the previous year. I don't know what the subsequent trends have been. Obviously starting from next to nothing they could have double digit growth for quite a few years and still be way behind the US, but they also have put on the brakes with some pretty draconian restrictions in their large cities: https://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/07/29/world/asia/china-beijing-traffic-pollution.html They're also investing massively compared to the US, in alternate transportation.

Last edited by cooker; 06-30-17 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-30-17, 06:31 PM
McBTC

Originally Posted by cooker
And only 6% of Indian households have a car. Presumably they are getting to work somehow - how do you suppose they do it?
The use of 3-wheel rickshaws powered by smelly, smoky 2 cylinder 2-stroke motors is apparently the way to go, go, go... If you want to make a big difference there you'd build electricity-generating capacity to power sewage treatment plants and put electric motors in the rickshaws. As it is now too many LCF people crap outdoors which in turn severely sickens the children.

Last edited by McBTC; 06-30-17 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-30-17, 06:34 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

What I have noticed is the US has a lifestyle that is imitated far more often that other countries. I have to smile at all of the T-shirts in China, India and even Japan and Africa that have American Logos and advertisements on them even in English. There are exceptions but it is still an interesting observation.
Yep, the US has owned 'cool' for a few decades. You might be on the brink of losing it now....
Old 06-30-17, 07:01 PM
McBTC

Looks like overhead trollies would very difficult to build in this crowded LCF section of India...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
fe20130922sha-870x652.jpg (99.3 KB, 82 views)
Old 06-30-17, 07:23 PM
McBTC

Yep, the US has owned 'cool' for a few decades. You might be on the brink of losing it now....
Times change. There used to be such a thing as paperboys but that was too gender-specific and it was too dangerous to have 14-year old girls delivering newspapers at 5A or after school and collecting door-to-door every month so... no more paperpersons pedaling their bikes as a part of a job (self-employed business)... everyday.
Old 06-30-17, 07:28 PM
McBTC

...of course, no one reads anymore except maybe to drive a car to Starbucks to Twitter on their computer.
Old 06-30-17, 07:33 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
But why? Especially if Americans relocating abroad are happy to adapt to that European lifestyle? Why don't they bring those ideas home?
I think a lot of people like the idea, it's the cost of implementation that would stop them in their tracks. You can't rebuild the old world and creating anything that would function similarly while serving market demands would be beyond impractical. On a small scale in some areas you see organic facsimiles that arise, but they tend to be serving a young market in the transition period before they start families. And these tend to involve gentrification, which presents its own host of social problems.

I don't think trying to rebuild cities into the model some might wish had been followed in the last century is really the way to plan for the next century. Better now to look forward to the next model, in a world where fewer people all need to congregate in the same place every day.
Old 06-30-17, 08:27 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by jon c.
I don't think trying to rebuild cities into the model some might wish had been followed in the last century is really the way to plan for the next century. Better now to look forward to the next model, in a world where fewer people all need to congregate in the same place every day.
Actually that creates an interesting quandary. If people get a virtual office and don't need to drive to work, then they can live anywhere, and they won't need a car to drive to work, but they still want to go other places like the store or hockey rink or whatever. So will more people move out to the woods, but with less driving, or will a lot of people still want to live in cities to be close to other stuff, even if they don't need to be there for work?
Old 06-30-17, 08:32 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by jon c.
I think a lot of people like the idea, it's the cost of implementation that would stop them in their tracks.
Cities are still growing and being reshaped. The point that the Mississauga video made, is that there has been a huge under-appreciation of the cost of implementing and maintaining the city form we've been building for 50 years, and the chickens are coming home to roost.
Old 06-30-17, 09:19 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
The Forbes article said the growth slowed quite a bit in the previous year. I don't know what the subsequent trends have been. Obviously starting from next to nothing they could have double digit growth for quite a few years and still be way behind the US, but they also have put on the brakes with some pretty draconian restrictions in their large cities: https://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/07/2...pollution.html They're also investing massively compared to the US, in alternate transportation.
We shall see. But you do realize if they double the car sales by 2020 or even 2030 they will have 40 million new cars on the road that year. Not counting the ones bought between this year and then. They buy just over 20 million now compared to our just over 17 million. If they reach 40 million it wouldn't matter if no one in the US bought a new car the total car sales will go up 6 million cars just by Chinese consumers alone. Looking at their building plans and increased building of cement plants I doubt if they are following the Copenhagen example do you? But as I said we shall see. I bet they will look more like the US however because even they are no longer the Kingdom of the Bike, even if some are trying to get people back on the bike there. Some in the government are not it seems, https://www.travelchinaguide.com/chi...aking-bike.htm They have lots of room and are becoming an economic force. They have been waiting to be like the west for a very long time. I am betting on cars and can only hope for EVs.
Old 06-30-17, 09:37 PM
Dahon.Steve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC
The use of 3-wheel rickshaws powered by smelly, smoky 2 cylinder 2-stroke motors is apparently the way to go, go, go... If you want to make a big difference there you'd build electricity-generating capacity to power sewage treatment plants and put electric motors in the rickshaws. As it is now too many LCF people crap outdoors which in turn severely sickens the children.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25lWzS8O3Z0
Wow! The thread I created is now sixteen pages long! Incredible.

It's amazing how many twists and turns the conversation changed over the weeks but that's part of the enjoyment on bike forums. Maybe I should create more carfree threads to keep everyone happy.

In a separate subject, the gas powered motorbike or rickshaw are pervasive in Asia and are frowned on by the carfree movement. They are just as toxic as a fleet of trucks. Personally, I'm not against them but I've never seen 200 motorbikes stopped at a light either!

I spent the past hour using Google street view on the city of Oslo. I really like the town! It didn't seem crowded like New York or London and wasn't too populated. There were street car tracks everywhere and not many bikes either. The downtown wasn't bumper to bumper traffic so going carfree isn't going to be as painful as one might think.
Old 07-01-17, 03:23 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5997 Post(s)
Liked 956 Times in 730 Posts
But why? Especially if Americans relocating abroad are happy to adapt to that European lifestyle? Why don't they bring those ideas home?
Maybe it's got something to do with people bringing home an experience rather than ideas. They enjoy a different environment without breaking it down into the individual important differences and how they are made. I'm from cycling city in a cycling country, but when I'm abroad I don't really notice a lack of bikes for example. And that's not just me, I can't remember any of my friends or family or anybody else who have travelled a lot or lived abroad ever mentioning it, it's just part of the overall experience. I think we tend to notice the little differences, and the totality of all the differences, but not the differences in between or the ideas that are behind them.
Old 07-01-17, 06:06 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
If people get a virtual office and don't need to drive to work, then they can live anywhere, and they won't need a car to drive to work

What about millions of people who don't work in an office and need a vehicle to get to work ??....This fantasy of virtual offices isn't going to magically transform the whole world into a car-free society.
Old 07-01-17, 06:10 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Looks like overhead trollies would very difficult to build in this crowded LCF section of India...

Nothing is impossible with LCF pipe dreamers.
Old 07-01-17, 09:29 AM
McBTC

What about millions of people who don't work in an office and need a vehicle to get to work ??....

Like... a plumber? For millions of LCF, they have no running water and simply crap outdoors. Problem solved.
Old 07-01-17, 10:01 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

What about millions of people who don't work in an office and need a vehicle to get to work ??....This fantasy of virtual offices isn't going to magically transform the whole world into a car-free society.
Of course not. However more people will be able to "telecommute' in a few years than can now. Do you think more of those people will take advantage of that opportunity to not have to live within commuting distance of an office, to 'escape' to more isolated locations, where they still need a car, even if they don't have to drive to work every day; or will some of them see it as an opportunity to avoid car ownership, in which case they would still need to live in a somewhat urban area in order to take advantage of public transit, walking, cycling, sidewalk cafes, Uber, etc.?

Last edited by cooker; 07-01-17 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-01-17, 10:15 AM
McBTC

Why LCF advocates thrill about Uber makes no sense-- takes two people to do what one person can do.
Old 07-01-17, 10:42 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Why LCF advocates thrill about Uber makes no sense-- takes two people to do what one person can do.
I'm not a fan of Uber, and if somebody uses it daily in place of a car they haven't reduced their car reliance. But if they occasionally use it, along with walking, cycling and public transit, in order to not own a car, then they have become at least less car dependent. So it can play a role in living car light as of course you understand.

Last edited by cooker; 07-01-17 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-01-17, 10:55 AM
McBTC

So it can play a role in living car light as of course you understand.
Of course? Not really... not if it means not being able to do something you otherwise would like to do but cannot, simply because of an earlier decision to eliminate a host of options due to a lack of personal transportation. It makes no sense unless it's a trade-off, e.g., LCF to save the world from runaway global warming or refusal to buy into the idea of being a part of a car cult. What's car heavy... owning two cars?
Old 07-01-17, 12:03 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Of course? Not really... not if it means not being able to do something you otherwise would like to do but cannot, simply because of an earlier decision to eliminate a host of options due to a lack of personal transportation. It makes no sense unless it's a trade-off, e.g., LCF to save the world from runaway global warming or refusal to buy into the idea of being a part of a car cult. What's car heavy... owning two cars?
People can make their own decisions on what tradeoffs are acceptible to them. If someone decides they don't need to own a car, that's up to them. Why would that be problem for you?
Old 07-01-17, 12:44 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
We shall see. But you do realize if they double the car sales by 2020 or even 2030 they will have 40 million new cars on the road that year. Not counting the ones bought between this year and then. They buy just over 20 million now compared to our just over 17 million. If they reach 40 million it wouldn't matter if no one in the US bought a new car the total car sales will go up 6 million cars just by Chinese consumers alone. Looking at their building plans and increased building of cement plants I doubt if they are following the Copenhagen example do you? But as I said we shall see. I bet they will look more like the US however because even they are no longer the Kingdom of the Bike, even if some are trying to get people back on the bike there. Some in the government are not it seems, https://www.travelchinaguide.com/chi...aking-bike.htm They have lots of room and are becoming an economic force. They have been waiting to be like the west for a very long time. I am betting on cars and can only hope for EVs.
Gun sales went up a couple years ago because of a rumor that the government would be restricting them soon. When change appears on the horizon, it causes a certain pre-emptive nostalgia to form for whatever is expected to be phased out or reduced by the change.

Likewise, if automakers suspect decreasing demand on the horizon for whatever reason, it is logical for them to increase output and press for as many sales as possible before demand starts dropping. It is a logical response, but it's a response that undermines the ability for consumers to rationally overweigh the option of going car-free.

I think with automation and factory efficiency, more cars can be produced and shipped than can ever be exported, scrapped, or otherwise wasted. If policy-makers ever really want to reduce the number of cars on the roads, they'll have to restrict the number of cars that can be made and/or imported. Such a move would trigger huge lobbying efforts to preserve auto markets, however, so I think the best strategy for reducing driving is to continue promoting ride-sharing and otherwise reducing auto demand. It might also help to charge more for disposing of old cars.
Old 07-01-17, 01:03 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Doncha know that some pipe dreamers believe the hysterical/over-the-top hype about self driving motor vehicles ready for prime time any day now and that Uber won't need no stinkin' drivers at all!

Of course who will buy, insure and maintain these vehicles for Uber's use is a question that hasn't been figured out just yet.
Old 07-01-17, 01:33 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower
Gun sales went up a couple years ago because of a rumor that the government would be restricting them soon. When change appears on the horizon, it causes a certain pre-emptive nostalgia to form for whatever is expected to be phased out or reduced by the change.

Likewise, if automakers suspect decreasing demand on the horizon for whatever reason, it is logical for them to increase output and press for as many sales as possible before demand starts dropping. It is a logical response, but it's a response that undermines the ability for consumers to rationally overweigh the option of going car-free.

I think with automation and factory efficiency, more cars can be produced and shipped than can ever be exported, scrapped, or otherwise wasted. If policy-makers ever really want to reduce the number of cars on the roads, they'll have to restrict the number of cars that can be made and/or imported. Such a move would trigger huge lobbying efforts to preserve auto markets, however, so I think the best strategy for reducing driving is to continue promoting ride-sharing and otherwise reducing auto demand. It might also help to charge more for disposing of old cars.

Just as a point I think you must have missed that we are talking about China and India at the moment? China was once the LCF paradise you so often say is ideal. China today is the number one consumer of cars. They reached that position 5 years faster than anyone predicted. They now have started several auto plants and have started a plan to produce after market factories to support those car sales. The two sites I posted are simple business projections but even politically China doesn't have to curb any building at all till after 2030. So 40 million cars in a nation with 5 times as many people as the US is reasonable. They went from practically no personal cars to 20 million cars in record time. And now in the second link I posted they are making it very hard to ride on a train with a bicycle. None of that is addressed in your response that I can see. Except the idea they are working on ride sharing.
Old 07-01-17, 01:59 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Doncha know that some pipe dreamers believe the hysterical/over-the-top hype about self driving motor vehicles ready for prime time any day now and that Uber won't need no stinkin' drivers at all!

Of course who will buy, insure and maintain these vehicles for Uber's use is a question that hasn't been figured out just yet.
Nobody has said anything like that in this thread. This is just your usual fictitious retelling of what goes on here, never backed up with quotes, because there aren't any to be had.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.