Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Should I replace both tires?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-18, 10:23 PM
wsgts

Bikes: 2018 Specialized AWOL, 2013 Surly Pacer, 2011 Raleigh One-Way, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 2020 Surly Big Dummy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts

Well, have my first blowout. I was coming down an overpass, passing cars like I usually do, probably going 25 mph. Back tire hit something (probably medal it was in a construction area) and now has a huge hole in it now. Not repairable, the rear tire must be replaced.

I purchased these tires in July 2015 and have put approximately 3000 commuting miles on them, and this is the first flat I have encountered. I am a heavy rider (250 lbs) and load the back with 15 pounds of stuff for the office in an under seat bag (lunch, computer, change of clothes, layers, etc).

Model is:
Schwalbe Marathon Supreme HS 382 HD SpeedGuard Cross/Hybrid Bicycle Tire - Folding

After this type of usage, should I replace them both or just get another rear tire? I mainly was wondering if tires age due to age or sunlight?

T
Old 02-13-18, 10:36 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Sure there's some aging, but not significant in less than three years. Sounds like you were just unfortunate to hit something that was beyond the capability of the tire. Somewhat similarly, I went over something with my car while going through an underpass. I heard it clatter underneath the car and then one of the rear tires went flat instantly. The hole in the side was big enough to put my whole hand inside the tire. Got it replaced but sure didn't replace the other three which still had plenty of tread depth remaining.

The usual recommendation is to put the new tire on the front and move the old front one to the rear assuming there's still enough tread left on it. That way your best tire is always on the front
Old 02-13-18, 11:03 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Pictures, man!!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-13-18, 11:28 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I'd replace them both. And also check the chain and brake pads. You might want to inspect the rear cogs if the chain is bad too. And three years without new grease is a while as well.
Old 02-14-18, 08:46 AM
wsgts

Bikes: 2018 Specialized AWOL, 2013 Surly Pacer, 2011 Raleigh One-Way, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 2020 Surly Big Dummy

Needed service

[QUOTE=Dave Cutter;20168604]I'd replace them both. And also check the chain and brake pads. You might want to inspect the rear cogs if the chain is bad too. And three years without new grease is a while as well.[/QUOTE

You are totally correct, I just had a new chain, new cog, serviced hubs, and bottom bracket by the LBS. Didn't think about the tires, but they have been abused, I did notice that the reflective sidewalls are peeling off the back as well. Oh well, I guess it won't kill me to replace both of them, the model of tire is twice the price it was when I purchased it off amazon.

Pics forthcoming, poor me had to ride my Grand Prix today

T

Last edited by wsgts; 02-14-18 at 08:57 AM.
Old 02-14-18, 08:48 AM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 82 Posts
I normally get three to four times the mileage out of the front tire. Given your rear wasn't worn to the point of replacement, I'd guess you have many thousands of miles left on the front. I'd just replace the rear. If you're paranoid, put the front on the rear and the new on the front. I've never felt the need.
Old 02-14-18, 09:07 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
When my rear tire is worn out and needs replacement, the front tire is still like new, barely worn at all. It would last a lot of years at that rate. But it does get nicks and cuts in the tread, and superficial cracking. That would add up over the tire life--maybe 6-10 years?

So I always move the old front tire to the back, and put the new one on the front.

(rear tires wear out much faster due to the rider's pedaling forces on the tire.)
Old 02-14-18, 09:21 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
It depends a lot on how much the tires cost.

Typically I buy cheaper tires. Like $30 and under. If that's what I'm replacing, then yeah I'll swap both out just to be OCD about it.

If I'm ever running a more expensive set of tires, hell no. The front one stays on until it wears flat.

That's assuming the tread is the only problem of course. If there's any kind of cracking, dry rot, slices, etc in them that's a different story.
Old 02-14-18, 10:55 AM
cdkarp

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With the mileage you have on them best to replace both.
Old 02-14-18, 11:10 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Originally Posted by MNBikeCommuter
I normally get three to four times the mileage out of the front tire............ I'd just replace the rear.
I always replace BOTH... then dispose of the more-worn rear tire. And set the front tire(s) aside. That way if I do have a catastrophe event that destroys a tire... I have a replacement readily available (I also keep tubes in my parts cabinet). And because I usually buy a particular tire.... I sometimes have a near new looking set I re-use on a project bike.
Old 02-14-18, 11:17 AM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
I always replace BOTH... then dispose of the more-worn rear tire. And set the front tire(s) aside. That way if I do have a catastrophe event that destroys a tire... I have a replacement readily available (I also keep tubes in my parts cabinet). And because I usually buy a particular tire.... I sometimes have a near new looking set I re-use on a project bike.
You're certainly free to do whatever you want and I won't complain. For me, it'd just be a waste of money to replace the front at the same time. Rather than keeping old tires kicking around looking for some action, I just stock up on new ones when they're on sale. No one needs to know this, but I also don't have a set replacement rule for cassettes, like every second or third chain, like many advertise here. If the new chain doesn't skip, the cassette stays on, for many chains.
Old 02-14-18, 11:29 AM
Dave Cutter

........ I just stock up on new ones when they're on sale. No one needs to know this, but I also don't have a set replacement rule for cassettes....... If the new chain doesn't skip, the cassette stays on, for many chains.
I also anticipate use and buy ahead... and on sale as well. Someday... this planning ahead may catch-up with me and cost me my investment.... with no return. But meanwhile I use my Midwestern winter off-season to ready my bikes for uninterrupted seasonal use.

I guess I could find cheaper ways to cycle... if that was my goal. But I'd rather count and cut penny's from things I have to buy.... instead of the things I truly enjoy.
Old 02-14-18, 11:42 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 248 Posts
I just looked that tire up and it's $63? Put a new tire on the back and ride, for sure in Florida.
3,000 miles is just broken in for my SMP tires. In 2014/5 I went on tour on a 120+ lb bike with 3 tires, front went 3,500 miles and rear 4,200. Still both on the bike, I rotated them at 5,500. They are up over 8,000, NO flats. Still good enough to ride to Vancouver this summer.

Most other crap brand tires, yah 3,000 is finished.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 02-14-18 at 11:49 AM.
Old 02-14-18, 11:51 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
No reason whatsoever to replace the front. If the rear wasn't worn out when it was destroyed, you've got thousands and thousands of mile of tread left on the front.

IMO, if the front doesn't look worn much, leave it on, and put the new tire on the back. If it looks ~50% worn, I'd move the front to the back, and put the new one on the front.

3000 miles on commuting tires I don't think is very much at all. I had some Vittoria Randonneurs that must have had well over 10,000 miles on them. The rear was just showing some wear. The front could have passed for new.
Old 02-14-18, 12:27 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
I normally get three to four times the mileage out of the front tire. Given your rear wasn't worn to the point of replacement, I'd guess you have many thousands of miles left on the front. I'd just replace the rear. If you're paranoid, put the front on the rear and the new on the front. I've never felt the need.

+1

Take a look at the front tire before you replace it. My guess is it will barely show any wear. If it's looking thin (no tread, square profile, wear indicators missing) then you can replace it.
Old 02-14-18, 01:07 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
marathons should go way more than 3000 miles. Buy one, rotate front to back, and put the new one on the front (use the best traction for steering).

OR buy two, mount only one, and wait a few more years for the older tire to actually go bald and/or start flatting.

OR buy two, mount them both, keep the old as a ready spare and enjoy the look of two matching new tires.
Old 02-14-18, 03:07 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
I put news tires on the rear. For this instance, if the front tire still looks good leave it on and put the new tire on the rear.

+1 on new front tire lasting much longer than new rear tire
Old 02-14-18, 07:26 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
I try to use consumables to their full extent (assuming there is no danger). I'd buy 1 new for the front and move front to rear.
Old 02-14-18, 08:24 PM
wsgts

Pics

It's a pretty big cut in the center/sidewall of the tire. When I came through the area today, I was looking for the culprit. There was a lot of pieces of scrap metal in the bike lane, so I suspect one of those.

The "wetness" around the hole is actually the slime tube that went everywhere when it got cut, way too big a hole for slime.

wsgts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20180214_201217.jpg (749.5 KB, 116 views)

Last edited by wsgts; 02-14-18 at 08:34 PM.
Old 02-14-18, 08:34 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
so i always move the old front tire to the back, and put the new one on the front.
+1
Old 02-15-18, 09:35 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by wsgts
It's a pretty big cut in the center/sidewall of the tire. When I came through the area today, I was looking for the culprit. There was a lot of pieces of scrap metal in the bike lane, so I suspect one of those.

I was going to suggest looking for the cause of the blowout, but a slice like that is going to chew up any tire. Use up the good one (unless you chop it up, too). And it might be worth looking for an alternate route if there's scrap metal all over the place.
Old 02-15-18, 09:39 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
My enthusiasm to try something different almost always comes up sooner than the tires wear out.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 02-19-18, 08:13 PM
wsgts

Originally Posted by pdlamb
I was going to suggest looking for the cause of the blowout, but a slice like that is going to chew up any tire. Use up the good one (unless you chop it up, too). And it might be worth looking for an alternate route if there's scrap metal all over the place.
I so hate to take the alternate route. The area that now has trash all over it is an area coming off of an overpass bridge onto a dedicated bike lane. Since I'm really heavy and going downhill, I pass a ton of cars which is deeply satisfying , tire issues notwithstanding . The more mature option would be to take the crosswalk before the area, but they had that torn up as well for construction. Or slow down and look for metal debris.

I just got the bike back together with two new tires, the previous front tire is on ready reserve now. Went with the Marathons (not supreme) this time, $37 bucks a tires. Also fixed a spoke I didn't realize it broke as well, apparently a harder impact that I realized.
Old 02-19-18, 11:51 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18377 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
The photo of the bad tire doesn't look too bad, other than the hole in the side.

Assuming the good tire has even more tread, then there would be no reason to toss it.

Where I put the new tire varies. If I'm lazy, just replace the one that went bad.

On the other hand, if the front is looking particularly battered, I might choose to move it to the back to grind off some rubber before replacing.

It never hurts to spend a few minutes picking out glass and debris from the tire before remounting.

It is not a bad idea to keep a spare tire in stock, but it doesn't have to be a battered tire ready for the bin.

If you like your old tires, get the same, but there also is no reason that the tires much match. Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires are running a bit under $50 online.
Old 02-20-18, 10:13 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
If the front is still in good shape, I'd leave it. I typically replace the rear twice for every front I replace.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.