Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Lightweight MTB wheels for riding on road

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 08-22-11, 04:11 AM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Dunno where to post this, but I figure as I am looking at 26" wheels, I might get better responses here rather than the road forum.

Wife and I both ride Surly LHTs for touring. I love my LHT, as does my wife. Wife and I have now done 3 tours, and would not change anything for touring. Having said that, they are with stock wheels, Vittoria Rando Pro/Conti City Contact 26*1.5 tyres,
Tubus racks and SKS fenders, so they weigh quite a bit.

We are planning a trip now to the Alps for some climbs, and will not be touring.

Thought of taking our carbon road bikes, but am a bit worried about damage in transit, but more important, we would probably like a handle bar bag and maybe one rack with a single pannier for long rides.

So, thought of trying to lighten the LHT and maybe make is a bit faster.

Current wheels with tyres, tubes weigh in at 4kg. I have seen some 20 spoke MTB wheels at 1700 grams for the set. Tyres are 550 g each, while Shwalbe Durano folding tyres 26*1.1 are 260 grams each. So figured that on wheels and tyres alone, I could save about 1.5kg. Swap the Brooks for our road bike saddles and I save another 400 grams. edit: Did not account for cassette so I can knock off only 1.2 kg on the wheelset plus tyres.

So, almost 2kg reduction in weight should make a difference. Is this
stupid?

If not so stupid, any suggestions on wheels and tyres?

Also, any other place to knock of weight?

Was looking at these [just first glance actually], and they seem pretty inexpensive too. Don't want to spend too much, as there is pretty good chance of damage in flight etc.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=55231