Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Conti Designer, Trek 660

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Conti Designer, Trek 660

Old 06-05-20, 10:08 AM
killybatz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Conti Designer, Trek 660

Hi,

Im interested in building up a vintage bike. There are a few frames in my area and Im curious to hear your thoughts on the pros and cons. The bike’s rider is about 5’10” with a longer torso, Im looking for frames between 56-58cm seat tube. Im not sure the desired stack or reach, but ill will do those calculations this weekend. It will be used for commuting and some longer trips, potentially STP in 2021.

Conti Designer
tiny (dot) cc (slash) ao6cqz

Trek 660
tiny (dot) cc (slash) ul6cqz

I am a complete beginner so please dont assume any knowledge on my part.

Thanks for your time!
Old 06-05-20, 10:54 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,376 Times in 3,689 Posts
pic assist

Old 06-05-20, 11:15 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 654 Posts
Welcome killybatz , these look like nice bikes, however, my first glance at them is that these are more racing/sport oriented and you were looking for a commuter and longer distance bike.

The first thing that I look for is eyelets on the front fork end and the rear dropout (where the axle is mounted). The two bikes that you listed don't have them and therefore my thinking is that these are racing/sport bikes, not meant for racks or bags. That doesn't mean that you cannot commute on these bikes.

Touring and communing bikes have longer wheelbases, a little more comfortable geometry and eyelets for mounting racks and fenders. And clearance to mount fenders and/or fit fatter tires.

If it were me, look for something inexpensive (and traditional steel) for a first bike. Brands like Trek, Fuji, Schwinn, Panasonic, Miyata, Nishiki will sometime yield some undervalued bikes.

You can really commute on anything and we may have some members chime on on what type of bike makes a good commuter and touring bike.

Our members are good at looking at online sales and pointing out good buys. If you post where you live, you might get some help there too.
Old 06-05-20, 11:22 AM
killybatz

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the pic assist and the response.

Thanks for pointing out the lack of eyelets, Ill start looking for those in my future.
Old 06-05-20, 12:41 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2151 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 1,198 Posts
Pretty sure I have a Davidson Discovery frame and fork in my storage unit, 57 X 57 with braze ons for racks and fenders. With a Blackburn rear rack, too. Made in Seattle, circa 1987.
Not cheap but very beautiful, might be the right tool for the job.

You’re too new to PM, but if you want pics shoot me an e-mail at rccardr@cox.net.
Old 06-05-20, 01:08 PM
killybatz

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks rccardr , I sent an email
Likes For killybatz:
Old 06-05-20, 02:24 PM
killybatz

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What kind of considerations are there that a newbie might now understand. From my research (mostly from this forum) it seems like there are a few things I should look for when buying a frame. What should I add to this list?
  • Fit (stack and reach)
  • Weight (kind of steel, butted-ness)
  • Wheelbase - I want this bike to feel very stable
  • Components (if im buying more than just a frame)
  • Braze-ons/eyelets
  • Flair (lugs, paint, decals)

Velo Mule I took a look through my local craigslist for frames from brands you suggested. It still seems like there are a lot of choices for complete bike. The two options shared in the original post are the only vintage steel frames I can find in the area right now on craigslist.

Schwinn Crosspoint
tinyurl {dot} com {slash} y9ok8ljr
Weight is 25 lbs. top tube long which suits a long torso.

Fuji Touring Series III
tinyurl {dot} com {slash} y8xt75hu

Fuji Berkeley
tinyurl {dot} com {slash} y8duquvm
I emailed and asked or the proper c-t seat tube measurement.

Miyata 712
tinyurl {dot} com {slash}y9szto2z
seems expensive

Miyata 912
tinyurl {dot} com {slash} y8d952de
I emailed asking for the proper c-t seat tube measurement.

Mid 80's Trek
tinyurl {dot} com {slash} ya3asqor
May be a tad large.
Old 06-05-20, 03:41 PM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 207 Posts
Have an idea what size tire you want before shopping for frames. Some won't fit wide tires. Also wheel diameter- since you are new I will spare the details and just say you probably want 700c.
Old 06-05-20, 03:55 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1420 Post(s)
Liked 1,038 Times in 769 Posts
that Conti is a Ciocc by another name and should be a fantastic ride if priced right, that said I wouldn't pick either it or the Trek for long distance touring
Old 06-05-20, 09:33 PM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 28 Posts
For commuting where you might need to lock up in public and really put the bike to work, I'd say the Crosspoint is your best bet. It's certainly the least sexy of the lot, but it does everything a commuter needs to do, and would be a fine reliable touring bike. A friend of mine put 40cm gravel tires on his Crosspoint, and it's perfect for riding the trails on the levees here. The Fuji Touring is also a contender, but they really chose cheap components for the upgrades.
Old 06-05-20, 09:54 PM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 28 Posts
This KHS is a lot more modern, but it seems like a good choice for the type of riding you have in mind.
Old 06-06-20, 11:31 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 941 Posts
To the two frames I prefer the Conti in appearance alone, but I've always had a preference for Italian bikes with chrome. True not for racks and fenders, Conti rides great with the SL tubing. It's not twitchy in the handling like some of the others. I bet it would build up real nice.

I've had the True Temper tubing a couple of times. A Trek 930 MTB that was a keeper I built up for my son as a campus bike, and a Trek 400. Both were great for their application. I like the True Temper enough I bought locally made bike with it.