Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Bar end shifter cable routing question

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 06-24-20, 07:26 AM
trail_monkey

Bikes: Soma B Side, Soma Wolverine, Salsa Fargo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts

Is there a way to run a bar end shifter cable without wrapping under the bar tape? I got a bike that I run single speed but occasionally I want gears. For those times I was thinking of sticking a bar end shifter in but I don't always want the cable housing sticking out from under the bar tape going to the down to boss. And I don't feel like unwrapping my bars every time I switch.
Old 06-24-20, 08:42 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
I'd wrap it all the way underneath the tape and leave the housing going to the downtube boss, then you can pull the shifter cable and the housing loop going to the derailleur... might need to buy a tandem length shifter cable though. The other thing might be to have the housing routed normally but on top of the tape, then use another short piece of bar tape to wrap over it when you've got gears installed. Easy enough to unwrap the short piece of tape and remove the bar-end shifter.
Likes For clasher:
Old 06-24-20, 02:55 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 483 Posts
I use a right side bar end shifter on mine. It's under the tape and great. I wouldn't want it any other way but I'm certain you could do it modular like you want. It'd probably be a 5 minute change.

However, on install it was pretty obvious that I could have just wrapped the bar then ran housing to the shifter, so it would all be on the outside. You'd probably have to secure the housing in a spot or two to keep it from rubbing the wheel.

I use a Microshift 10 speed shifter.
Old 06-24-20, 03:25 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Set the bike up fully geared.
Then when you want to run it as a single speed, just dont shift.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 06-24-20, 03:49 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
Originally Posted by trail_monkey
Is there a way to run a bar end shifter cable without wrapping under the bar tape? I got a bike that I run single speed but occasionally I want gears. For those times I was thinking of sticking a bar end shifter in but I don't always want the cable housing sticking out from under the bar tape going to the down to boss. And I don't feel like unwrapping my bars every time I switch.
I assume you put a different chain on ?, not running it thru the rear derailer ?, and do you remove the derailer as well ?. And the cable ?. And want to know how best to route the shift housing at the bar ?, leaving the shifter ?.

BIG WHY ?.

As mstateglfr stated, maybe leave it all alone and just don't shift. Or do what most people would do, get a 2nd bike, one with gears, one as single speed.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 06-24-20, 03:58 PM
trail_monkey

Originally Posted by Steve B.
I assume you put a different chain on ?, not running it thru the rear derailer ?, and do you remove the derailer as well ?. And the cable ?. And want to know how best to route the shift housing at the bar ?, leaving the shifter ?.

BIG WHY ?.

As mstateglfr stated, maybe leave it all alone and just don't shift. Or do what most people would do, get a 2nd bike, one with gears, one as single speed.
I usually run single speed but if I want to put gears on I throw them on. No I do not run through my derailleur. when I go single speed I literally go single speed. My bike has Paragon sliders so I have chain adjustment.
Old 06-24-20, 03:59 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
In that case maybe a downtube shifter? If not you certainly could run it from a bar end shifter outside the bar tape. I'd use a big rubber band or innertube piece at the end of the bar right by the shifter to hold the housing close to the bar and keep it from flopping around.
Old 06-24-20, 04:00 PM
trail_monkey

Originally Posted by rosefarts
I use a right side bar end shifter on mine. It's under the tape and great. I wouldn't want it any other way but I'm certain you could do it modular like you want. It'd probably be a 5 minute change.

However, on install it was pretty obvious that I could have just wrapped the bar then ran housing to the shifter, so it would all be on the outside. You'd probably have to secure the housing in a spot or two to keep it from rubbing the wheel.

I use a Microshift 10 speed shifter.
I have a micro shift 10 speed shifter as well. I thought about just running the housing to the shifter but doesn't it flop around quite a bit? I had an idea that I have a roll of velcro strips and I could just tightly wrap the housing to the drop hook to secure it
Old 06-24-20, 04:01 PM
trail_monkey

Originally Posted by tyrion
In that case maybe a downtube shifter? If not you certainly could run it from a bar end shifter outside the bar tape. I'd use a big rubber band or innertube piece at the end of the bar right by the shifter to hold the housing close to the bar and keep it from flopping around.
I've been running a downtube shifter and I really liked it at first but with the constant up-and-down roller-coaster hills where I live it just becomes very fatiguing on a longer ride to be reaching down to shift that often. And yeah as I mentioned to the other person I'm thinking about wrapping a velcro strip around to secure it and then I can just rip it off real quick and be done
Old 06-24-20, 04:03 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
I've been running a downtube shifter and I really liked it at first but with the constant up-and-down roller-coaster hills where I live it just becomes very fatiguing on a longer ride to be reaching down to shift that often. And yeah as I mentioned to the other person I'm thinking about wrapping a velcro strip around to secure it and then I can just rip it off real quick and be done
Or a thumbie shifter on the bar close to the stem.
Old 06-24-20, 04:21 PM
trail_monkey

Originally Posted by tyrion
Or a thumbie shifter on the bar close to the stem.
I do have a Shimano mountain bike shifter that I could probably Mount up there.
Old 06-24-20, 07:55 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
You want to occasionally convert your SS to a multi-gear bike, and then go back to SS -- and you think dealing with the shift cable will be the biggest hassle?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-25-20, 10:31 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 483 Posts
I have a micro shift 10 speed shifter as well. I thought about just running the housing to the shifter but doesn't it flop around quite a bit? I had an idea that I have a roll of velcro strips and I could just tightly wrap the housing to the drop hook to secure it
Like I said. It can be done, I don't think it should be done and I certainly wouldn't do it myself.

I'd set the gravel bike you have as a 1x10 and leave it for one month. If at the end of the month you want single speed on your constantly rolling ride, then it's time to shop for a fun single speed project.

My guess, and I say this as someone who has ridden thousands of miles on single speeds over the years, you'll like the gears better.
Old 06-25-20, 11:41 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Can you just not shift when you have the derailer?
Old 06-25-20, 01:35 PM
trail_monkey

Originally Posted by Koyote
You want to occasionally convert your SS to a multi-gear bike, and then go back to SS -- and you think dealing with the shift cable will be the biggest hassle?
Uhh yeah.... It's not hard to remove a derailleur, cassette, and swap chains. Takes 10 minutes at most with the right tools minus any cabling issues. I keep my cog and spacers together so a simple toss back on and chain line is where it was before. Easy cheesy
Old 06-25-20, 01:38 PM
trail_monkey

Originally Posted by Elvo
Can you just not shift when you have the derailer?
Sure but if you've never ridden single speed you don't realize how much extra drag that creates... Let's not forget certain rides are benefitted without a derailleur due to conditions...... Think this year's Mid South...I prefer single speed on this bike but it's nice to have options.
Old 06-25-20, 07:51 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Sure but if you've never ridden single speed you don't realize how much extra drag that creates... Let's not forget certain rides are benefitted without a derailleur due to conditions...... Think this year's Mid South...I prefer single speed on this bike but it's nice to have options.
For the record, my original comment was mostly in jest. While it's doable, I know it isn't the same as an actual SS.
I cant imagine removing the wheel then swapping the chain, cassette, RD, and cables on and off each time.
More power to you on that.

As for the midsouth being a good place for a SS bike, sure in that very extreme example I could see the benefit if the cyclist can handle it.
So in a competitive race where you must ride regardless of conditions and its often peanutbutter mud for roads, a single speed can be beneficial. Since most of us ride recreationally 95% of the time and when conditions are horrid can choose to either not ride that day or simply take a better road, that example isn't applicable to a vast majority of collective rides here.
Old 06-25-20, 07:53 PM
trail_monkey

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
For the record, my original comment was mostly in jest. While it's doable, I know it isn't the same as an actual SS.
I cant imagine removing the wheel then swapping the chain, cassette, RD, and cables on and off each time.
More power to you on that.

As for the midsouth being a good place for a SS bike, sure in that very extreme example I could see the benefit if the cyclist can handle it.
So in a competitive race where you must ride regardless of conditions and its often peanutbutter mud for roads, a single speed can be beneficial. Since most of us ride recreationally 95% of the time and when conditions are horrid can choose to either not ride that day or simply take a better road, that example isn't applicable to a vast majority of collective rides here.
Same with me. I ride recreationally. I cater to all types though as my race requires it.
Old 06-30-20, 05:59 PM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts
Why not just run the housing outside the wrap? Absolutely nothing wrong with that approach, I’ve done it on several builds.
Old 06-30-20, 06:03 PM
trail_monkey

Originally Posted by Chris_in_Miami
Why not just run the housing outside the wrap? Absolutely nothing wrong with that approach, I’ve done it on several builds.
I tried it and I use a strip of velcro to secure it to the drop. It seemed to work pretty well.
Likes For trail_monkey:
Old 06-30-20, 06:08 PM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

You don't even need the velcro, it's not going to fall off or anything.

Old 06-30-20, 06:13 PM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Found another example, I put a lot of miles on this one: