Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Second wheelset for road use?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 09-01-20, 08:14 PM
Beach Bob

Bikes: Giant Defy Pro 0, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 21 Posts

I'm a road guy that just bought a Cervelo Aspero for a bit of dual purposes; 1 wanted to learn to ride gravel (as we go into fall, it seems to be the thing to do) and 2 for travel to Mexico with (horrible roads there....).

So... love the Aspero, if you've ever ridden an R3, the geometry works out the same (R3 has shorter top tube, but longer stem...).

The bike came with Gravel King SK Sport (38mm) tires on hideously heavy rims (Alexrims Boondock 7D.. 1kg/RIM). Riding out to places and back is a bit of bummer due to the slow heavy wheels (the slight undergearing from GRX cranks is no big deal). I'm thinking that I could really love this bike as a road bike if I put it on a diet and had a second set of wheels with some much lighter rims and faster tires. I'm thinking that I'd throw some GP5000's @ 32mm onto some reasonably light/aero rims (Hunt Aero Wide 34s?) and drop about three pounds off the bike and lose some rolling resistance as well.

Anyone else run two wheelsets? Pros? Cons? Any other input? I'd like to keep the wheelset to <1000 CAD$ ($650 USish), but if someone can suggest better, I"m open.

Thanks.
Old 09-01-20, 09:37 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Yes 2 wheelsets is very common on modern gravel bikes.

Im lazy and would just end up getting a lighter wheelset and use that for both road and gravel. Looking at multiple rides in similar area on similar foot climb routes, I average like 1 mph faster on pavement than gravel using what is effectively the same wheelset(different bikes).
43mm actual gravel tires and 31mm actual road tires.

It just wouldn't be worth me swapping back and forth multiple times a week. But again, I'm lazy.
Old 09-01-20, 09:50 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Minor point - 1 kg/wheelset, not!! per rim. (I had to look up this 2 pound rim.)
Old 09-02-20, 06:53 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Yup, I road bike my Revolt with a second wheelset with 32mm GP5000s, love it. I'm running FFWD F3ADs, DT350 hubs, 19mm internal, 1560g, $450 from PBK. Def noticeably faster than my gravel wheelset, even with reasonably fast gravel tires.
Old 09-02-20, 06:56 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
Honestly, this has been asked a million times. You're on the right track, but you'll find the biggest consideration is getting the rotors and cassettes to line up perfectly when you switch.
Old 09-02-20, 07:16 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Yup, that is what a lot of us do. Realistically most of your speed and ease of use comes from the drastically lower rolling resistance of the 32mm GP5000, doubt your going to see a huge difference saving 500 grams on your wheels, but in your case lighter tires & wheels together are going to drop more than a 1lb of rotational weigh and certainly spin up faster.

(There has just been a plethora of data these days saying weight doesn't really matter that much as people think (its just easier to measure)).