Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Please help me understand gravel riding?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Please help me understand gravel riding?

Old 09-14-20, 03:05 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,849 Times in 6,066 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
IMO, what you are seeing over the past 10 years is the influence of Gravel bikes on road bikes. I do not think it is coincidence that we saw the emergence of “endurance road” with larger tire clearances and relaxed geo shortly after gravel bikes started taking off.
Interesting thought. I wonder how much also has to do with the aging of the folks who can afford to buy nice bikes? I do remember Bianchi coming out with what they called the C2C geometry, which was supposed to be more upright than the Reparto Corsa geometry, and that was in 2007, I think. It seemed like an accomodation to an increase in well-heeled recreational cyclists (as opposed to racers)

When I stopped paying attention, my 25mm tires and 12-27 cassette would have been considered a sign of weakness, acknowledging my weight and lack of fitness. Imagine my surprise when I tune in again and everyone's running 28mm tires and 11-34 cassettes.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-14-20, 05:39 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,343 Times in 932 Posts
Originally Posted by HD3andMe
Yes, let's look at them. They aren't 23s.

They're 28s.
The tire in front here doesn't look like a 28.

https://us.ritcheylogic.com/media/ma...erd1988800.jpg

The modern road racing bike doesn't have wider tires, nor as much clearance.
Not that long ago, the standard size for road tires was 23. Before that, it was 21. Before that, some had 20 and even 19 tires. Many of these bikes didn't really have room for wider tires. Sure, touring bikes had wider tires but not "racing" bikes.

Now, being able to fit 28s is fairly common but that wasn't the case until rather recently.

It's possible that this thin tire trend started in the '70 or '80 and before that wider tires were common for high-end racing bikes.
Old 09-14-20, 05:46 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
When I stopped paying attention, my 25mm tires and 12-27 cassette would have been considered a sign of weakness, acknowledging my weight and lack of fitness. Imagine my surprise when I tune in again and everyone's running 28mm tires and 11-34 cassettes.
That mentality was, and still is, stupid. The fact that someone would want to make their gearing more difficult just to look tough is hilariously insecure.
Most cyclists dont compete, in real life or in their minds, with other cyclists so they all couldn't care less if that gearing combo was seen as weakness by a few meaningless people.
Old 09-14-20, 05:48 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by Aladin
Or... peddling 'gravy' bikes. Lots .. and lots.. of industry wags around. High profit those flavors. MOST.. all of the bike industry today is
mostly male cow dung.. selling far east junk whereas what is called bike companies--->now marketing concerns make the coin. That is
our 21st century.

Some dudes and dud-ettes like to bling.. bikes.. why not. If it be a new graveler.. what the hey. $$ moving locally.. that works.
What? Did you just stream of consciously mash up 10 thoughts into 1 post?
Old 09-14-20, 05:52 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,488 Times in 7,316 Posts
Because this, to name a few reasons. I’d school the OP more if I had access to my home computer, but I’m on tour.

BTW...Splendid job by the OP getting some of you to argue with each other. That was the goal of this thread.

Last edited by indyfabz; 09-14-20 at 06:24 PM.
Old 09-14-20, 05:59 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 483 Posts
When gravel biking started looking interesting to me, I got Schwalbe Pro One's in 28. On Stan's Alpha 340s, they measure 30. If anyone is paying attention, nothing about that setup is gravel. It's fairly svelte road stuff in a wider tire. My Campy brakes managed to clear it.

On a gorgeous steel Tallerico.

Anyway that setup managed "The Crippler" and "Fountain Roubaix" along with several other self invented Southern Colorado gravel ideas. Also the exact same setup I did the Triple Bypass on, the same year.

I'm a little more relaxed now (in geometry) and sporting 38's that measure 40. It's better but let's not pretend that a good road bike will burst into flames off road.

My '86 Spectrum might actually. Kick me in the nads if I ever bomb that thing down the washboards.
​​​
Old 09-14-20, 06:12 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,343 Times in 932 Posts
As noted above, Jobst's favorite tire was the Avocet Road 20. They were 28mm tires.
He seemed to have said here that they were actually 25's.

https://yarchive.net/bike/tire_recommendation.html

And that doesn't contradict that 20+ years ago, very few people were using 28 or 25 mm tires on "racing" bikes and that "modern" (current) "racing" bikes allow for much wider tires than even 10 years ago.

The modern road racing bike doesn't have wider tires, nor as much clearance.
I'm well aware of the changes in road tire sizes over the years, having lived through those changes.
???

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-14-20 at 06:24 PM.
Old 09-14-20, 06:13 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,849 Times in 6,066 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
???
I know, right?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 09-14-20, 06:17 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
If you're meaning signing up to actually participate in those events---you're wrong. It is a zero-sum. There's a set number of bibs available and when they're gone that is it. If 50 or 500 UCI racers want to ride--that is 50 or 500 fewer bibs for anyone else. Between that and inflated registration costs it drives the grassroots people out from participating who made it popular in the first place.

The big rides already require a lottery to sign up for because they crash BikeReg or any other service with people wanting to ride it.
If it's a race UCI riders want to participarticipate guessing its a lottery process because from what ive seen, they participate in the larger sponsored and marketed events.

Whether it's a big or small event(are they really coming to all the random small grassroots events? Eh...), if thry sign up to ride then whats the harm? They are a cyclist wanting to compete just like everyone else that is signing up.

As for the cost of events, I dont really get up in arms over that.
If you dont want to pay $100 for the experience of gravel worlds, then dont experience gravel worlds. Some find value where others dont.
Old 09-14-20, 06:24 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
IMO, what you are seeing over the past 10 years is the influence of Gravel bikes on road bikes. I do not think it is coincidence that we saw the emergence of “endurance road” with larger tire clearances and relaxed geo shortly after gravel bikes started taking off.
This to me is a really important point. A lot of the great things we are seeing with road bikes such as relaxed geometries, wider tires, more compliant ride have been wonderful improvements to traditional road biking.
Old 09-14-20, 07:18 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,279 Times in 2,940 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
If you're meaning signing up to actually participate in those events---you're wrong. It is a zero-sum. There's a set number of bibs available and when they're gone that is it. If 50 or 500 UCI racers want to ride--that is 50 or 500 fewer bibs for anyone else. Between that and inflated registration costs it drives the grassroots people out from participating who made it popular in the first place.
The number of pro riders participating in gravel events probably is much closer to 5 than it is to 50 or 500.
Old 09-14-20, 07:18 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Interesting thought. I wonder how much also has to do with the aging of the folks who can afford to buy nice bikes? I do remember Bianchi coming out with what they called the C2C geometry, which was supposed to be more upright than the Reparto Corsa geometry, and that was in 2007, I think. It seemed like an accomodation to an increase in well-heeled recreational cyclists (as opposed to racers)

I think what is happening is that more and more people have (IMO wisely) stopped caring what pro racers are using for paved road races. Because if you are not in the middle of a paved road race, why does it matter? I don't think it is the population aging. It would not surprise me if young people are the ones more open to newer style of bikes.

I think there is a parallel to this in MTB: The best thing to happen to mountain bikes was the declining influence of XC racing in the late 90s and into the early 2000's. Up until then, you had either XC bikes and DH/FR bikes, because those were what the professional disciplines used for either XC racing, DH racing, or FR videos. All of these options largely sucked for what most people were actually riding and doing on their bikes. The "All Mountain" or "Trail" Bike was born when companies realized that most people did not care what pros were winning races on.. And THAT is when mountain bikes started getting awesome (early-mid 2000s). And you know what else happened? XC racing bikes eventually started looking more like Trail/AM bikes.

I think the same thing is starting to happen with road bikes. Companies are finally starting to focus on bikes that work for uses other than being in the middle of a paved road race. IMO the best thing that can happen for road riding is people paying less attention to pro road racing. Gravel bikes are becoming popular because they simply work better for a lot of road riders. And, in a parallel to the MTB world, road racing bikes are taking some cues from them.

That is my take on it, anyway.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 09-14-20, 11:35 PM
Rolla

Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I think what is happening is that more and more people have (IMO wisely) stopped caring what pro racers are using. Gravel bikes are becoming popular because they simply work better for a lot of road riders.
^ This whole post nails it. Unless they race (or train with people who do), everyone I know who has spent any time at all on a quality gravel or all-road bike is seriously questioning why they still have a road bike. More comfort + more versatility = more fun. And that's why people ride bikes.

Last edited by Rolla; 09-14-20 at 11:41 PM.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 09-15-20, 05:59 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
Why a gravel bike?
Exploration.
(then again, I seem to take my rando bike with 38's Pacentis out more into gravel than my 1986 High Sierra drop bar conversion)
Old 09-15-20, 10:17 AM
saperry42usa

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Considering finding a couple old 10 speed bikes...

How hard would do a rebuild an old 10 speed into a gravel bike? Ideally I would like find two bikes that could 24 inch wheels with wide clearance of 1.5 - 2 inch tires with frame size of 46cm or about 18in to 48cm or about 19in frames. I would probably repaint the frame and if could find new 2x5 gear sets but short of that 2x7 gears sets with the Specialized narrow drop bars. I would do fade paint jobs light lavender to light pink with light blue handlebar tape and also sky blue to nearly white with dark pink handel bar tape. If I was going more bikes then just my sister and me I would probably do them in solid colors and what ever gear sets and sizes they wanted.
Old 09-15-20, 10:42 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by saperry42usa
How hard would do a rebuild an old 10 speed into a gravel bike? Ideally I would like find two bikes that could 24 inch wheels with wide clearance of 1.5 - 2 inch tires with frame size of 46cm or about 18in to 48cm or about 19in frames. I would probably repaint the frame and if could find new 2x5 gear sets but short of that 2x7 gears sets with the Specialized narrow drop bars. I would do fade paint jobs light lavender to light pink with light blue handlebar tape and also sky blue to nearly white with dark pink handel bar tape. If I was going more bikes then just my sister and me I would probably do them in solid colors and what ever gear sets and sizes they wanted.
Use an old MTB instead. See Tomac picture above. Or put drop bars on an old 29 race bike from 2010-15. And yes, Shimano road levers work fine with cheap deore disc calipers.
Likes For vespasianus:
Old 09-15-20, 11:45 AM
walnutz

Bikes: CO-OP ADV 3.1 aka Beeftank (stolen, RIP), State All-Road

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Because this, to name a few reasons. I’d school the OP more if I had access to my home computer, but I’m on tour.

BTW...Splendid job by the OP getting some of you to argue with each other. That was the goal of this thread.
Oh man, where is this? I must go there.
Old 09-15-20, 12:59 PM
TheatreOfNoise

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SL 6 Stealth Black

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Actually, this thread has been really interesting for me as I am trying to decide on whether to buy a new road bike or get a gravel bike for the versatility and comfort. I came back to biking when I was 48 and bought a Roubaix, but I found myself not riding it much. Now, at 56, I'm interested again and tweaking things on that bike, such as saddle, shoes, etc. to get a better fit and make things more comfortable. Have been watching a lot of the Francis Cade YT videos with BikeFitJames and it's helped a lot. They do a lot of off-road and bikepacking. I'm planning on a new bike in March or April '21 and really back and forth on road bike or a gravel bike.

Not so much interested in the bickering, but on why and where you like to ride your gravel bike, have you sold your other bikes or ride the gravel bike the majority of the time, etc.
Old 09-15-20, 01:07 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
Gravel riding opens up a lot more area around here. I have to ride an hour to get to a mountain road that isn't slightly terrifying to ride up because of traffic if I want pavement. On gravel, there is a mountain right behind my house.

I don't know if the revival of big tire road bikes came before gravel or not, I think it did. But it doesn't really matter, we're here now and it's good.
I agree with the people that say a lot of us have stopped worrying about what the pro road racers do, it's not relevant to me and hasn't been for over 20 years. I don't really want to ride with the riders that find it relevant.
Old 09-15-20, 02:04 PM
Rolla

Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
How hard would do a rebuild an old 10 speed into a gravel bike? Ideally I would like find two bikes that could 24 inch wheels
A 24" wheel? On a road frame? For gravel? How do envisioning you fitting brakes to that?

I would do fade paint jobs light lavender to light pink with light blue handlebar tape and also sky blue to nearly white with dark pink handel bar tape.
Trust me, the color scheme will be the least of your worries.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 09-15-20, 02:53 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by walnutz
Oh man, where is this? I must go there.
Where is what? Those photos are from a couple of different places. If you’re talking about the trestles, it’s from the Hiawatha Trail.
Old 09-15-20, 03:01 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by TheatreOfNoise

Not so much interested in the bickering, but on why and where you like to ride your gravel bike, have you sold your other bikes or ride the gravel bike the majority of the time, etc.
The original question is inane if only because one of the answers is glaringly obvious: There are a hell of a lot of enjoyable roads to ride that are not paved, and one would think someone with the OP’s user name would get that.
Old 09-15-20, 04:19 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Short distances? Not necessarily. Rail trails can be hundreds of miles long. With the right tires, I was cruising one at about 17 mph for about 70 miles--Northern Rail Trail, NH.
Not to mention that plenty of gravel Forest Service roads are open to motor vehicles and often they are not short or boring.

Fun fact of the day: The US Forest Service manages the largest network of roads in the country. Last I checked, the mileage dwarfed the mileage of the Interstate Highway System by a factor of three. Let that sink in.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-15-20, 05:30 PM
walnutz

Bikes: CO-OP ADV 3.1 aka Beeftank (stolen, RIP), State All-Road

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
Where is what? Those photos are from a couple of different places. If you’re talking about the trestles, it’s from the Hiawatha Trail.
Thanks! I love all the photos but that’s definitely the one that looked most interesting.
Old 09-15-20, 07:20 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by walnutz
Thanks! I love all the photos but that’s definitely the one that looked most interesting.
Coolest trail I’ve ever ridden. The eastern most tunnel is 1.66 miles and unlit.
Likes For indyfabz:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.