Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Dahon Dove Uno BYA412 Conversion to 3 speed

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-18, 07:40 PM
joefly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hi Guys. New here, I have a Dove Uno BYA412. Love it. And recently popped a couple spokes on the back wheel. So I have decided to change the wheels as I might be hitting the weight limit of 75kg on it in city riding. ( I replaced one spoke at local shop and then two others popped)

So so I am looking for advice. First Choosing a wheel, any advice on a good strong wheel for the Dove?

i am currently looking at this one. It mentions double layer and strong spokes. But I do not know the reputation of these components, wondering if you guys have comments.
Oops. Can’t post links. look at aliexpress bya412 wheel.

the description is here

Ultralight 776g 14inch Folding Bike Wheels BMX Wheelset Bike Bicycle Wheelset for BYA412 BMX Parts
Model: Kpro
Wheels: 14inch high-strength double layer rims

Size: 14 * 1.5 / 1.75
Material: Aluminum
Drum: LITEPRO 16 / 20H four bearing hubs
Spoke: litepro custom high strength spokes
Spoke Hole: Front 16H / 20H rear
Weaving method: front straight pull, rear cross pull
Wheel weight: 776g ± 5% (without screw)
Included Accessories: Screws, tire mat
Warranty: 1 year
i also saw some wheels with 3 speed, so debating on maybe in the future converting to 3 speed. Do you know if the above wheel allows for switching out the cartridge to 3 speed? Has anybody got info on how the conversions to 3 speed work on the dove?
14-inch single-speed wheelset for BYA412
Taiwan Litepro
Front hub 2 bearing, rear hub 4 bearing, 16h, 20h ,
Aluminum shaft, aluminum 7075 catch Taki, aluminum gears (can be mounted 8-speed chain or less, does not support the 9-speed or more)

Weight: about 776 g (including mounting screws)
this wheel comes with 9T single speed but mentions able to accept up to 8 speed chains, should I assume that the cartridge is swappable? Are all these wheels swappable?

In the description, it sometimes says BMX, does it mean anything spec wise?

basically looking for any advice of 1 speed wheels and then conversion to 3 speed

any other cool modifications anyone suggest?

thank
Old 11-08-18, 01:57 AM
BromptonINrio
Stardust

Bikes: Dahon Curve Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton M6r

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 28 Posts
I have a bya412 with 16" doublewall Wheels and caliper brakes.
20 on rear and 16 in front.
For these mod the maximum tyre widt os 32mm for frame clearences.
i also drill the frame to put dahon magnetix magnets to keep frame in place when close.
i also change the crankset for an integrated one. I have 47t in front and 9 on rear.
Tyres and Wheels in 14" are Just awful.
Old 11-08-18, 05:17 AM
splithub

Bikes: FSIR Spin 2.0/Spin 5.1 Noahhk iF10

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BromptonINrio
i also drill the frame to put dahon magnetix magnets to keep frame in place when close.
i also change the crankset for an integrated one. I have 47t in front and 9 on rear.
I have a FSIR Spin 2.0 that features the same specs as the BYA412. I prefer the 14 Inch wheels since it feels more comfortable to me, 50mm Big Apples are mounted. Have built also a 16 Inch wheelset that has it's advantages. Found myself with the same desire for gears a few years ago and tried different approaches, kept two of them on the two wheelsets. First i looked for a standard freewheel hub that could be modified to 85mm, found the Bitex RAR8 120mm O.L.D. and heavily modified it to fit with 5 cogs (..out of 9) on my narrow tire 16" wheel, 4 cogs would fit with the chunky 14" wheel because of chain-tire clearance. For the second wheelset i found the Novatec A416SBT hub, that comes in 85mm O.L.D. already with a 9T cog that is one piece with the freewheel body, filed down the cog leaving the 24mm diameter body only and shrunk on the outer half of a standard freewheel body (could be glued to with LocTite 2701 if it ever gets loose) to take up to 5 cogs (..first limit to hit is tire rubs chain, second is derailleur hits spokes, whatever comes first). I use a SRAM Rival short derailleur, it runs "inside" the rim in the slowest gears, so it has to be one that is of minimal size in all dimensions. All this works since years to me now and is very convinient since it is a slide on the razors edge to pedal standing on this short bike.
If i wanted to do that again, i would go the way to file down the original single 9T cog, shrink a freewheel segment to it and end up with 5 - 6 cogs of 11-speed standard. If you find a used RR derailleur that is small enough, it is the best solution compared to that crappy and expensive stuff on AliExpress and Taobao in 8-speed standard, ending up with only 3 gears.
I did also do deep experimenting with modifiying integrated bear hubs to fit that bike, let me know if you want to know more about, and also if you need detailed pictures.
Old 11-08-18, 11:27 AM
joefly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
interesting, did not think the 16" would fit, what did you do to change the brakes to fit 16" and how does it affect the fold, same as the 14" wheel? I can guess, but what drove you away from 14 to 16?
Any idea if the wheel can be adapted to 3 speed?
Old 11-08-18, 11:37 AM
joefly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, I read your post and being an engineer, I am kinda overwhelmed with the details. I am comfortable with modding electronics and mechanical. just new to bikes and its lingo.

Excuse me for my basic knowledge. What is freewheel? Are you saying that they typical stock wheel or standard Dahon wheel is not able to change. Because I see 3 speed cartridges as standalone but do not know how to verify which wheels it can fit.

Reading your posts, seems like you are doing non-standard Dahon mods. This is more than I want to do as I do not want to rebuild a wheel and experiment with parts as this will get a little costly and time consuming and lack of space, I live in a city apt.
Old 11-08-18, 11:51 AM
joefly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
to avoid cost and hassle of conversions, found this Dahon dove clone with 3 speed for a reasonable price.

Any comments? can't post links so putting in quotes, remove space and paste into browser
m.yeeoq.top. /h.3k4za4w
Old 11-08-18, 11:55 AM
splithub

Bikes: FSIR Spin 2.0/Spin 5.1 Noahhk iF10

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by joefly
Because I see 3 speed cartridges as standalone but do not know how to verify which wheels it can fit.
This might be not easy to find out. It depends on the hub in your rear wheel. Typically those 3 speed cartridges are meant to replace 1 speed cartridges of the same brand, but might cross fit with others. I am aware of at least 3 brands that use different hardware building wheels for the bya412, Mialo, Litepro and Narra. Might be even more already. The important size is the diameter of the ratchet ring inside the hub and the axle diameter. If your hub has it inside with all cone/loose ball bearing, like it is in my original rear wheel, you have to buy another wheel set because nothing of these tuning parts will fit, unlike you are able to mechanically modify it yourself. Best would be to post a picture of your rear wheel hub.
Old 11-08-18, 12:41 PM
joefly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by splithub
Best would be to post a picture of your rear wheel hub.
Thanks Splithub, your input is very helpful.

Since I am gonna replace the factory original wheels, now I am looking for a better stronger wheel with single speed, but I want the option of potentially upgrading it to 3 speed in the future. I am only able to find parts on aliexpress. So kinda limited to their poor description. the one I am presently looking at but want to confirm that is possible to convert to 3 speed.. I can't post links, so please remove spaces in link
goo.gl/ 1sZ7j8
this one is one speed but mentions taking up to 8 speed chain but no mention of cartridge
goo. gl/17iCXT
also wonder if components are as high strength./quality as the others, and even if I get this one, what type of chain would I need?

this one comes with 3 speed but no other necessary parts like chain and shifter.
goo.gl / jebefd
the 3 speed conversion kit
goo.gl /BQJBdW
This one has 3speed wheel but seems like the components may not be as good quality (kFun vs kPro?) due to price and description and also does not include necessary upgrade for upgrade
goo.gl /iKLbVu
And one last question, many of these mention BMX, does it mean it is higher strength?

Thanks in advance and any other helpful information you are able to provide.
Old 11-08-18, 06:19 PM
BromptonINrio
Stardust

Bikes: Dahon Curve Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton M6r

interesting, did not think the 16" would fit, what did you do to change the brakes to fit 16" and how does it affect the fold, same as the 14" wheel? I can guess, but what drove you away from 14 to 16?
Any idea if the wheel can be adapted to 3 speed?
Just a small drill for caliper brakes ressessed nut and all done.
16 wheel doesnt afast bya412 fold in anyway.
16 is a popularwheel size amonst many crazy ppl like recumbent riders and bmxers.....so many great great and made in that size...
For 3 speed adapt i recomend to dont put gears in this bike....its so unstable and tiny that a cant hardly imagine you climbing an hill on this crazy bike

There is a vey good topic about this bike https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-b...nie-6-7kg.html
Old 11-14-18, 09:52 PM
edelay

Bikes: Dahon Curve D8 (Sturmey Archer X-RF8), Crius Smart 3.0 5 speed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sounds pretty sweet...would you happen to have a photo of the bike with the 16" wheels on it?
Old 11-15-18, 02:40 AM
BromptonINrio
Stardust

Originally Posted by edelay
Sounds pretty sweet...would you happen to have a photo of the bike with the 16" wheels on it?

Sure my friend:

Old 11-20-18, 09:54 PM
edelay

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sure my friend:

Oh man, that is some tight clearance. Any issue with the tire rubbing? I tried to put my 305 wheels onto my 14" Crius Smart, and there was no room. This was with a set of Big Apple and a set of knobbies though.
Old 11-20-18, 09:59 PM
edelay

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
hi Guys. New here, I have a Dove Uno BYA412. Love it. And recently popped a couple spokes on the back wheel. So I have decided to change the wheels as I might be hitting the weight limit of 75kg on it in city riding. ( I replaced one spoke at local shop and then two others popped)

basically looking for any advice of 1 speed wheels and then conversion to 3 speed

any other cool modifications anyone suggest?
thank
I'm got a Crius Smart 5, which is similar to a Dahon Dove and it has a Sturmey Archer S-RF5 (w) 5 speed hub in it.... something to consider. Here is a photo of the bike from Thor
https://www.thorusa.com/accessories/IMG_1492.jpg
Old 11-20-18, 10:47 PM
joefly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh man, that is some tight clearance. Any issue with the tire rubbing? I tried to put my 305 wheels onto my 14" Crius Smart, and there was no room. This was with a set of Big Apple and a set of knobbies though.
WOW certainly packed them in there tight!! Great work.!
Old 11-20-18, 10:49 PM
joefly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You did what I am thinking of doing. Instead of going through all the hassles, I figure put in the money for something like this. goo.gl/ wfm2gQ . and be done, so a little money I can hav two bikes. I will just replace the rims with single gear on this old one.

nice looking bike you got there..
Old 11-21-18, 04:50 AM
BromptonINrio
Stardust

No issues with tyre rubbing or chainline whatssoevdr.
the tyre size must be maximum 32mm.
Kenda ksmart , schwalbe kojac and primo tyres do fit nice.
The only counterback is There no room for fenders.
You can ser in photos There is also integrated crankset and 47t front chainring.
Old 11-21-18, 04:55 AM
BromptonINrio
Stardust

A Nice bike you can use 305 tyre with bigaplle os bromptom or bromptom clones.
305 with big Apple is equal in diameter 349 with kojac