Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Trailer options for 4.5 and 1.5 yr old?

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-18, 09:52 AM
Skankingbiker

Bikes: AllCity Nature Boy, On-one Pompino) , Fuji Roubaix road bike, Niner EMD, Voodoo Hoodoo MTB, Surly Pugsley/Krampug, Performer Midracer Custom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

We have a double burley trailer, but the 4.5 yr old is too tall, his legs don't fit, and there is not enough shoulder room for both kids to fit comfortably. Am i better off getting a trail-a-bike for the older kid and keeping the younger in the burly or getting one of those wehoo double beam trailers? Concerns are as follows:

1. 4.5 yr old won't be able to handle long rides on a trail-a-bike or sleep (primary reason for taking them out)

2. wehoo double is heavy (40 pounds) and has only a 80 pound limit (oldest is already 42 pounds and youngest is 25...worried we will exceed the weight limit at the end of 2018)

3. doing 2 separate trailers would require my wife to go out, which she doesn't do too often...I would like a solution where I can pull both.

Any ideas/suggestions?
Old 01-03-18, 01:54 PM
Riverrat2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to the tricky spot...

You've entered the "gray zone" of raising children and bicycles.

My youngest are a little closer together, so the Double Weehoo worked for several years.

Sadly though, my oldest are farther apart, so I had to suck it up for a few years until the 6-7 year old could ride her own bike.

You can probably get the 4.5 year old on a bike and start pedaling short distances, while you pull the other in the trailer. You won't set any KOMs, but the bonding experience is priceless.
Old 01-04-18, 11:51 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Good luck; my kids are ~3.5 yrs apart but both fit in the Burley 2-seater until they were ready to move onto their own 16" wheel bikes. One time only I did a trail-a-bike->trailer train and that was pretty fun.

I did find the 100# limit on the Burley was definitely serious!
Old 01-12-18, 04:52 PM
Chukbacca

Bikes: 1988 Univega Alpina Pro

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Skankingbiker
We have a double burley trailer, but the 4.5 yr old is too tall, his legs don't fit, and there is not enough shoulder room for both kids to fit comfortably. Am i better off getting a trail-a-bike for the older kid and keeping the younger in the burly or getting one of those wehoo double beam trailers? Concerns are as follows:

1. 4.5 yr old won't be able to handle long rides on a trail-a-bike or sleep (primary reason for taking them out)

2. wehoo double is heavy (40 pounds) and has only a 80 pound limit (oldest is already 42 pounds and youngest is 25...worried we will exceed the weight limit at the end of 2018)

3. doing 2 separate trailers would require my wife to go out, which she doesn't do too often...I would like a solution where I can pull both.

Any ideas/suggestions?
I have two suggestions.

Personally I have a tandem, and I pull a Trek Mountain Train; I've done this for at least two years, my kids just turned 7, 5, and 3. The three year old was quite anxious to keep up with her sister and started riding the mountain train about a year ago so I had to do something else. One of our favorite things to do is ride the neighborhood and check out Christmas lights, so in November I welded up something that allowed me to pull two Mountain Trains. For what it's worth, folks have them on CL all the time for $125, I haven't paid more than $40; it's a niche market and folks over value them. Should you choose to get a used one, be sure the tow hitch has the correct spacer for your bike or you'll need to spend $35 on a new hitch.

You can also purchase an Adams Tandem Trailer...personally I don't think my kids would cooperate and pedal together soooo...yeah https://www.trail-a-bike.com/product...folder-tandem/
Attached is a picture of my setup. (it's a crummy tandem I picked up for $40)

I think our longest ride is typically 30 minutes or less, the three year old is definitely done by that point. The 7 and 5 year olds will pedal (and it helps) if they are on the trailer bike; neither can pedal on the tandem.

When I get groceries, I will often tow my (not) burley behind a single pedal trailer. It allows me to get groceries in the (not)burley and take two of the three kids with me. Plan for WIDE turns.

Have fun!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0018small.jpg (82.7 KB, 88 views)
Likes For Chukbacca:
Old 01-20-18, 05:18 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
I agree with Chukbacca of perhaps getting the older kid onto a Tandem (which should last the family for several years).

Pacific Cycles makes a new Tandem that is pretty cheap, and they show up in Craigslist periodically for a good price.

I've thought that the front Kidz tandem sounded like a good idea, but they're pretty expensive.

Kidz Tandem |
Old 02-09-18, 04:13 PM
SpookyReverb

Bikes: 2018 All-City Space Horse Disc, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, 1987 Centurion Ironman, KidzTandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a KidzTandem (lucked into a great deal on Craigslist last year) and have it hooked up to a double Weehoo (will be switching to a Single Weehoo now that the big one rides on the tandem).

It's an amazingly fun bike that can work up until the kids are 10 or so. I'd buy one again if I had to replace it. Kind of hard to come by now though, I know.
Old 02-27-18, 10:47 AM
Skankingbiker

Bikes: AllCity Nature Boy, On-one Pompino) , Fuji Roubaix road bike, Niner EMD, Voodoo Hoodoo MTB, Surly Pugsley/Krampug, Performer Midracer Custom

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SpookyReverb
I have a KidzTandem (lucked into a great deal on Craigslist last year) and have it hooked up to a double Weehoo (will be switching to a Single Weehoo now that the big one rides on the tandem).

It's an amazingly fun bike that can work up until the kids are 10 or so. I'd buy one again if I had to replace it. Kind of hard to come by now though, I know.
Does the I-Go tip over at stops? I have quite an extensive bike trail system in my city but it has a lot of starts and stops. Will this thing tip over at every spot?
Old 04-16-18, 06:56 PM
SpookyReverb

Bikes: 2018 All-City Space Horse Disc, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, 1987 Centurion Ironman, KidzTandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Skankingbiker
Does the I-Go tip over at stops? I have quite an extensive bike trail system in my city but it has a lot of starts and stops. Will this thing tip over at every spot?

Sorry for the delayed response! With the double-kickstand on the tandem, the Weehoo stays put. When I pull the Weehoo on my roadbike (no kickstand), I have to be careful at a stop where we are all getting out and have it up against a wall/fence/etc.

That said, on an actual ride, where you have to stop at stop signs, etc: no, it won't tip over if you have your foot on the ground or something like that.

We have tipped over before when we are getting in or getting out, because I wasn't paying 100% attention. It is so worth it though, I would rebuy the Weehoo 100 times, it is that much fun.