Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best Way To Bike With A Dog

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Old 04-04-18, 12:30 AM
sunnyone

Bikes: 1997 Trek 850, 1992 Trek 750 Multitrack, 1983 Zebrakenko Wind, 1982 Takara Tribute, 77 Takara mixte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

We have a 10 month old poodle pup, about 45 pounds, and wonder if it’s feasable to include him in our bike rides. What do you think is the best way to take a dog along: utility bike (what kind?), trike, dog trailer, converted kid trailer? Looking for some thoughts from people with experience hauling dogs this size. We tried this with our last dog in a kid trailer, but it was not a successful experiment.
Old 04-04-18, 01:54 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Not sure what to make of this but if you must, dog trailer.
Old 04-04-18, 07:49 AM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
For a puppy that big, a dog trailer. I've used a kid's trailer but for older, calmer dogs.

I do have a delta trike that I plan on trying with my dogs but haven't gotten around to it yet.
Old 04-04-18, 08:00 AM
motorapido

Bikes: 1976 Schwinn Super Le Tour, tricked out with modern components. Shimano Alfine 11 internal gear hub. Dynamo hub. Titanium racks and bottle cages. Mercier Kilo Wide Tire dropbar singlespeed

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 1 Post
Nashbar kid/dog trailer personal experience

Originally Posted by sunnyone
We have a 10 month old poodle pup, about 45 pounds, and wonder if it’s feasable to include him in our bike rides. What do you think is the best way to take a dog along: utility bike (what kind?), trike, dog trailer, converted kid trailer? Looking for some thoughts from people with experience hauling dogs this size. We tried this with our last dog in a kid trailer, but it was not a successful experiment.
I recently bought the Nasbar kid trailer and love it. Great quality. Always seems to be on sale for $129. Our puppy is about the same age, but smaller -- a terrier mix, about 20 pounds. She loves riding in it. The kid harness straps can easily hook to a dog harness to keep the dog from crawling out. This trailer is good for two kids with a total capacity of 100 pounds. https://www.bikenashbar.com/cycling/nashbar-kid-karriage-ii-bike-trailer-na-kk2-base
Get a puppy accustomed to nearly anything when they're young, but don't wait too long or you'll be trying to teach an old dog new tricks, and we all know how that goes.
Old 04-08-18, 08:36 PM
badomni

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get a kickbike. People in Europe use them all the time!
Old 04-09-18, 02:39 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Trailer, for sure. A kids type will work, but one designed for pets (flat floor) will be better. As stated above, it's better to start exposing your pup to new experiences earlier rather than later. If the furbaby isn't thrilled with the idea of riding in a trailer, start slowly, like just getting in and out without moving. Then after learning it's safe inside, you can roll the trailer (by hand) across the yard a bit. Eventually, make slow progress until being towed behind the bike is no big deal.

-Kedosto
Old 04-09-18, 05:52 PM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Please don't report me to the ASPCA

Old 04-10-18, 06:08 AM
Saale

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by reppans
Please don't report me to the ASPCA
Dog looks comfy. Makes me wonder though, would forward facing baby carriers work for baby sized dogs?

Edit: For clarification, by baby carrier I mean those backpack looking things you strap to your chest.

Last edited by Saale; 04-10-18 at 06:14 AM.
Old 04-19-18, 10:42 PM
Fargo Wolf
Resident smartass.

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sunnyone
A bike trailer is best. Most people I've seen use a child's trailer, simply because they are the most available.

What went wrong/didn't work out with the child trailer?
Old 04-20-18, 10:00 AM
stringsonbikes

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think a box bike would be great for dogs, but would be a very expensive option and not great for long rides.

My little dog (20lbs) rides in a burley tail wagon trailer and loves it. My Golden has trouble fitting in the trailer since he is taller. If I was going to pull him often I think I would modify a trailer like in this article, to fit his crate.

https://www.xtracycle.com/blog/hound-haulin-on-a-long-tail-cargo-bike/
Old 04-20-18, 11:44 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Dog pulling you would be best, I'd say.. but that is probably the wrong breed , poodle, to expect that..
Old 04-20-18, 02:42 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Dog pulling you would be best, I'd say.. but that is probably the wrong breed , poodle, to expect that..
Exactly. Any dog I'll own from now on will have to earn its keep.
Old 04-20-18, 07:55 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by AlexanderLS
Larger dogs should be trained to jog next to their owners on bikes.
I take my Chihuahua on my back rack in a cage but that is because he cannot keep up or be trained to keep up.
Trailers add tons of extra resistance to you. They are so heavy and those extra wheels. Hauling the ~100 lbs of trailer/dog is going to quickly kill your desire to cycle.

At 10 months old your dog has LOADS of energy and would benefit from running next to you.
You should get a bike leash if your serious about doing it frequently.
https://www.amazon.com/Petego-Cyclea...dp/B00BL7SPIU/
https://www.amazon.com/Hands-Free-Bi...dp/B01HN0J3UC/
There are others, I just listed a few random ones from Amazon.
Virtually every municipality has leash laws so cycling while your dog is tethered to a leash is not the wisest thing you can do. Some cities have dog parks where a leash is optional but these are rare.

However, even if you live in a rural area you should still make sure that its a breed that can handle the pace. A better idea would be to run/jog with the dog where you have a much greater control than having him running lose or pull you into a crowd.

There are many energetic breeds to choose from that love to run especially in the sporting and working groups.
Old 04-20-18, 09:34 PM
sunnyone

Bikes: 1997 Trek 850, 1992 Trek 750 Multitrack, 1983 Zebrakenko Wind, 1982 Takara Tribute, 77 Takara mixte

Originally Posted by Fargo Wolf
A bike trailer is best. Most people I've seen use a child's trailer, simply because they are the most available.

What went wrong/didn't work out with the child trailer?
It was too unstable. He would move around back there and the trailer would rock. Once I went around a turn just as he shifted his weight, and the trailer tipped over.
Old 04-20-18, 10:19 PM
sunnyone

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Poodles ran the Iditarod 4 times. Thought about training him to pull me on skis, but pulling a bike sounds too dangerous for both of us.
Old 04-21-18, 08:05 AM
fietsbob
Banned

" On King, On you Huskies" .. Sgt Preston of the Yukon..
Old 04-29-18, 04:52 PM
Khb

Bikes: Stromer ST-1; Gary Fisher SAAB edition; Dahon Speed D7; Motobecane Grand Touring 1972

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've had some good luck with https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for our small dogs (40-65lbs). We used to have a 200lbs Newf who was way too large for such things ... but he really wasn't built for long distance/speed. But would have been great at hauling.
Old 05-03-18, 01:16 AM
tonyantoniou

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dog bike trailer

its the best to buy a dog bike trailer appropriate size for your dog and go together for adventures.
This site will guide you exactly how to choose the best one

Last edited by tonyantoniou; 05-10-18 at 03:18 AM.
Old 05-03-18, 01:31 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Maybe if you put a box you'd take them to the Vet in , on a trailer frame like the Carry-Freedom Y frame..

when you do have to take them to the Vet, they will be thinking its another fun trip , instead of a Vet Trip..
Old 05-10-18, 03:32 AM
tonyantoniou

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The best way to ride with your dog is a dog bike trailer. Since you will cover long distances your dog can not cope with it.

And the best is that you get to enjoy nature exercise and spent time with your dog at the same time.

This guide will help you how to train your dog to ride with you.

This one will help you choose the best trailer out there.

Good luck
Old 05-17-18, 03:44 AM
badmother

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It depends on the dog and also where you ride. There is no easy answer to this. Just google and read and see what others do and then decide what works for your dog at this stage of its life. I built the dogbike for my dog and he would jump in and out of it without me leaving the bike Just stopped and strapped him in. You soon learn how much your dog can run and when he need to rest. My dog would bark once if he was bored and wanted to run. I alsoo used trailers as he got older, among others also a Carry Freedom Y trailer small with an open box strapped on.

https://flic.kr/p/Gjd4Mt
Old 05-29-18, 12:25 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Larger dogs should be trained to jog next to their owners on bikes.
That has to be done in moderation only - dogs don't have the same ability to cool themselves. Because of that, apart from dog sledding in freezing temperatures a fit human can maintain a run longer than a dog, and that's even without using their opposable thumbs to invent wheels.
Old 06-05-18, 05:32 PM
UniChris

I disagree whole heatedly with this dogs are weak sentiment.
A dog that exercises regularly with their master will be able to cover more distance than their master. That is how muscles work. If you build your muscles while walking/running/jogging/cycling your dog will build them too.
The issue is not muscle, it's shedding heat. Panting is not as effective as sweating, and a fur coat is a lot warmer than spandex.

It's precisely because dogs are strong, and fast (at short distances) that their more severe thermal limitation can be dangerously overlooked.

The only situation where a dog can actually outdo a fit human on foot for distance is in freezing temperatures where that stops being an issue.

Dogs could pull just about any sort of small vehicle; the fact that the only ones they pulled to economic significance are sleds is not a coincidence.

Last edited by UniChris; 06-05-18 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-07-18, 09:51 AM
UniChris

Going all day at a slow pace is true, but your other numbers are dangerously wrong. That top speed can only be maintained for a few minutes / miles - in actual usage running down prey, another wolf would take over so that the first could cool down.

And no, a little water every hour of chasing after your bike is not going to cut it.

That kind of obstinate ignorance is how dogs get hurt.
Old 02-01-19, 02:20 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 153 Posts
How heavy is your dog now? If you can find a Globe Live 2 or Live 3, that makes a pretty excellent dog bike. The max listed weight is 20kg, which is almost exactly 45 pounds, but I've seen the Globe's rack stand up to dork-abuse.

Specialized bought Globe and promptly discontinued the Live series, but you can still find them if you're patient. I just found one for my gf in her size.

Globe Live 2 has a traditional chain drive with IGH and U-brakes. I've added road bars and a few other upgrades.

The Live 3 has a Gates belt drive with IGH, hydraulic brakes, and Velo Orange offers these porteur bars, which are IMO more suited than the upright beach-cruiser bars.

My dog has done 60 mile rides with me, and we have no problems averaging 20+mph on flats. She weighs about 20 pounds, so hills can slow us down some. It's pretty sweet being her stoker.

(The bars are 52cm, and the leverage comes in handy when she suddenly spots a squirrel or another dog.)
Likes For calamarichris:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.