Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Hybrid Bike Buying Advice

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-18, 09:28 PM
Erum

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a few questions.

I am interested in buying the 'Cannondale Quick Disc 1 2018 Women's Hybrid Bike' but can't seem to find much info on it. No reviews, no videos....almost nothing. I will be buying it on my trip abroad so don't have access to check it out in person as of yet. So for now my only source is online.

I currently own a Bianchi C-Sport Dama in small size.

So my apprehensions are:
1. Don't want to end up with a bike that is not better than the one I currently own...how is Cannondale as a brand when compared to Bianchi
2. Confused with sizing. According to the size chart I should fit under Small - am 5'2.5" but another lady had mentioned that she was 5'3" and small was too small for her and she had to get the medium size. There is a chance I might not be able to try the sizes. And I cannot make head or tales of the Bianchi geometry measurements and thus unable to compare that way.
3. Is it an advantage to have the 105 group set on a Hybrid? The road bike drop bars just don't work for me so I do need a flat handle bar bike. So without the bars, will there be an improvement with a 105 group set? Current bike has Tourney and Acera (Front/Rear)

PS I would post links for both bikes but apparently I cannot as I just joined the forum.

Last edited by Erum; 11-04-18 at 09:34 PM.
Old 11-05-18, 09:05 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
Is there a Cannondale store near you to try a Quick in a different model? According to the site the frame dimensions are the same for the top three though not carbon. At least that way you can see how the bike size feels. Just a thought.
Frank.
Old 11-05-18, 07:08 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
Both bikes are "performance hybrids" or "flat bar road bikes". What year is your Bianchi? What exact model (c-sport 1, 2, ...)? I would not get the Qucik 1 myself unless I were going to sell Bianchi. Why are you trying to buy a bike you have no info about? Both Bianchi and Cannondale are good brands. As you go higher in the product line, the bikes become better. What are you looking to gain with the upgrade?

Quick 1 will have a carbon fork, it will be lighter. 105 is a better groupset. It will be lighter than 3x8 or 3x9. Having said that, there is no reason one cannot ride Bianchi if properly adjusted. I have C-Sport 1, upgraded to 9 speed.

The most important geometry measurements in this case are stack and reach. Also, amount of spacers under the stem and stem angle and length matter. It is very hard to size the bike in your case without riding it.
Old 11-06-18, 05:10 AM
Erum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry, I thought I had mentioned details for Bianchi. I have C Sport Dama 1 2017 model.

Reasons for upgrade - looking for a somewhat lighter and faster bike but since I don't like drop bars, I'm hoping the 105 group set on a Hybrid will make somewhat of a difference. I am going to be able to check out the sizes so the sizing issues will be resolved.

Just hoping for someone who has used the bike to give a review on it.
I don't have info on it and hence trying to get info ...otherwise beats the point of asking here if I was already well informed

And yes, I will be selling the Bianchi if I get this as no point in having two hybrids.
Old 11-06-18, 11:41 AM
csport

Bianchi has 3x8 drivetrain, aluminum fork and mechanical disc brakes. Quick 1 is 2x11, it has carbon fork and hydarulic disc brakes. Definitely an upgrade.

All good (bike shop, not Walmart) brands (Bianchi, Cannondale, Trek, Giant, Specialized, Fuji to name a few) make good quality bikes. Higher end models within the same line are generally better (and more expensive); for example, Quck 1 is better than Quick 5. For Bianchi the numbering goes the other way: C-Sport 5 is better than C-Sport 1.

The reason I asked why you were looking specifically at the Quick 1 was that there were many similar bikes. You can go even lighter (and more expensive) than Quick 1 with carbon frame hybrids. Asking here is definitely the right thing. My point was that you can check out other hybrids within the price range as well.
Old 11-06-18, 02:36 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Hybrid is A category most brands offer several ...Here it's mostly Trek ..

few ask for the expensive ones..

Old 11-06-18, 10:19 PM
Erum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by csport
The reason I asked why you were looking specifically at the Quick 1 was that there were many similar bikes. You can go even lighter (and more expensive) than Quick 1 with carbon frame hybrids. Asking here is definitely the right thing. My point was that you can check out other hybrids within the price range as well.
Well that is the first hybrid I've come across with a 105 group set. Are there others (in women's models)?
I'm a bit apprehensive about Carbon as I have been told that in the off event that you crash, a carbon bike is more likely to be destroyed. Plus they do get more expensive.
Old 11-07-18, 06:28 PM
csport

Originally Posted by Erum
I'm a bit apprehensive about Carbon as I have been told that in the off event that you crash, a carbon bike is more likely to be destroyed. Plus they do get more expensive.
This is true.
Originally Posted by Erum
Well that is the first hybrid I've come across with a 105 group set. Are there others (in women's models)?
Probably. There are too many unknowns: women's model can mean a step-through frame or women specific geometry (e.g., shorter reach). And so on.
As Bob said, mainstream hybrids are often viewed as a compromise, and typically they do not come with the top of the line components. Those with 11s drivetrain are likely to have carbon frames.

If you are looking for a flat bar road bike you can get a drop bar road bike with 105 (Ultegra if you want to go even higher) (probably a size larger than you need) and convert it to flat bars. Get rim brakes for light weight. You will need a flat bar, flat bar shifters/brake levers and grips for the conversion. Road bikes at this level are likely to come with a carbon fork.

If you want to go faster you can try lowering the handlebars on your current bike.
Old 11-07-18, 11:02 PM
Erum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by csport
This is true.

Probably. There are too many unknowns: women's model can mean a step-through frame or women specific geometry (e.g., shorter reach). And so on.
As Bob said, mainstream hybrids are often viewed as a compromise, and typically they do not come with the top of the line components. Those with 11s drivetrain are likely to have carbon frames.

If you are looking for a flat bar road bike you can get a drop bar road bike with 105 (Ultegra if you want to go even higher) (probably a size larger than you need) and convert it to flat bars. Get rim brakes for light weight. You will need a flat bar, flat bar shifters/brake levers and grips for the conversion. Road bikes at this level are likely to come with a carbon fork.

If you want to go faster you can try lowering the handlebars on your current bike.
Why go to all that trouble of getting a road bike and get its handle changed when I am getting everything I want in this bike?
It has a 105 group set with already flat bars, it has carbon forks, it has hydraulic brakes (prefer those over RIM brakes any day) and it is woman specific...I find that works better for me.
Old 11-08-18, 12:36 AM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
I have a Cannondale Quick CX 3. It has a lot in common with the one you are considering, and some things that are dissimilar. The Quick is pretty comfortable to ride on medium-distance rides. For long rides I prefer my road bike with drop bars and Shimano 105 drivetrain. The Quick 3 CX has a lower level drivetrain from Shimano. And being "CX", it has a lock-out front suspension fork and came with semi-off-road tires. I've now swapped them out for 32mm GP 4-Season tires so that it has a more efficient feel on the road. The geometry between mine and the one you are contemplating should be about the same. The frame is strong and responsive.

I got the Quick CX 3 used, and it was a pretty good deal. My wish was to get one without the suspension fork, more like what you are contemplating. But I got tired of waiting for a good one to come up for sale on the used market and picked this one up, a few years old, but in pristine condition. For me the motivation was to have a bike that has a longer wheel base than my road bike so that I can affix a lightweight rack (Tubus Vega Evo) and fenders on it as a secondary bike, for utility and casual riding. So the "3" model was in the right price range for me. If I intended to make it my primary bike I'd not hesitate to go for the "1", and for sure in the non-CX model.

There's no rhyme or reason as to which bikes end up getting reviews on the internet and which don't. Sure, there are some red hot "drool" bikes that everyone expects to see reviewed. But the less sexy ones like the Quick sometimes get overlooked. Yet they can be fantastic bikes assuming you want a flat bar bike for on-road riding, or (in the case of the CX) even for non-technical trail use.

To me the Quick is sort of the modern equivalent of another Cannondale I used to own (and wish I hadn't gotten rid of): The 2001 H-400 hybrid. The H-400 may have been a little further into the "comfort bike" range, with its adjustable angle stem and suspension seatpost. But after a stem and seatpost swap, some SPD pedals, and slick tires, it cleaned up nice and was a fun bike to ride on the road.
Old 11-08-18, 09:51 AM
Erum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by daoswald
I have a Cannondale Quick CX 3. It has a lot in common with the one you are considering, and some things that are dissimilar. The Quick is pretty comfortable to ride on medium-distance rides. For long rides I prefer my road bike with drop bars and Shimano 105 drivetrain. The Quick 3 CX has a lower level drivetrain from Shimano. And being "CX", it has a lock-out front suspension fork and came with semi-off-road tires. I've now swapped them out for 32mm GP 4-Season tires so that it has a more efficient feel on the road. The geometry between mine and the one you are contemplating should be about the same. The frame is strong and responsive.

I got the Quick CX 3 used, and it was a pretty good deal. My wish was to get one without the suspension fork, more like what you are contemplating. But I got tired of waiting for a good one to come up for sale on the used market and picked this one up, a few years old, but in pristine condition. For me the motivation was to have a bike that has a longer wheel base than my road bike so that I can affix a lightweight rack (Tubus Vega Evo) and fenders on it as a secondary bike, for utility and casual riding. So the "3" model was in the right price range for me. If I intended to make it my primary bike I'd not hesitate to go for the "1", and for sure in the non-CX model.

There's no rhyme or reason as to which bikes end up getting reviews on the internet and which don't. Sure, there are some red hot "drool" bikes that everyone expects to see reviewed. But the less sexy ones like the Quick sometimes get overlooked. Yet they can be fantastic bikes assuming you want a flat bar bike for on-road riding, or (in the case of the CX) even for non-technical trail use.

To me the Quick is sort of the modern equivalent of another Cannondale I used to own (and wish I hadn't gotten rid of): The 2001 H-400 hybrid. The H-400 may have been a little further into the "comfort bike" range, with its adjustable angle stem and suspension seatpost. But after a stem and seatpost swap, some SPD pedals, and slick tires, it cleaned up nice and was a fun bike to ride on the road.
Thanks! This was quite helpful.